Rangefinder Opinions

Brimstone

Mitch Cumstein
Reaction score
So I'm looking to pick up a sub $200 rangefinder with the slope function. I had considered a regular Bushnell V3, but since I play mostly in Utah, the slope function will come in handy. If I could find a slope V3 for under $250, I would consider that. Here are my options:

Caddytek CaddyView V2+Slope $163.99

There aren't any reviews on Amazon, but I have seen it recommended here. Nice looking. I can't find any reviews online and it doesn't show up on the Caddytek website.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H9VXVT4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YNSJYLVRRNXF

e7b56b0a-35ea-4906-b46a-59c763c19b91_zpskl7zcnek.jpg

TecTecTec VPRO500S $179.99

Gets rave reviews on Amazon and comes with 18 month warranty when you buy direct from Tectectec. Customer service seems good.
https://www.amazon.com/TecTecTec-VP..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=37Y9Y2J90N0X5JECBZYW

91t2erhTViL._SL1500__zps3xmrtlzo.jpg

Breaking 80 SmartSlope $169.99

Seems like they give good customer service. Comes with a one year warranty and will replace the unit after that for $99 (lifetime).
https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-80-...=1467855364&sr=1-1&keywords=breaking+80+slope

681824d3-1bb8-475e-b224-bc06e8660f19_zpsq61zwbr0.jpg

Any thoughts on these or another option?

I cant really comment on any of those brands but I have a V3 and love it. Had mine for 3 years with no issues. I would just remember you get what you pay for and I always try to stick with a reputable well known brand when buying electronics. But its your $ and if the reviews are good and they have a solid return policy you may have found a winner with one of those.

Good luck

I cant really comment on any of those brands but I have a V3 and love it. Had mine for 3 years with no issues. I would just remember you get what you pay for and I always try to stick with a reputable well known brand when buying electronics. But its your $ and if the reviews are good and they have a solid return policy you may have found a winner with one of those.

Good luck

I have definitely learned my lesson over the years with "buy once, cry once". It was the reviews on the Tectectec that had me looking at it and then other brands. I do like the Jolt function on the Bushnell though. I'm just not sure I want to pay an extra $130 for it.

If you are able, it is worth the extra money. I bought a different brand first then came back and got a Bushnell.

I have to agree with Kapp. If you can afford it go with the Bushnell, I think you will thank yourself. I love the jolt feature as well. Good luck in whatever you decide to go with

I would be in the Bushnell camp on this one as well.

This is me every time I come on THP...

stock-illustration-13660261-money-flying-away.jpg

Seriously considering a Tour V3 Slope now....

Another vote for the V3 here.

With rangefinders, you get what you pay for. The top brands are top for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get a Bushnell. I'd consider a Leupold, but would likely go with what I know. My first one lasted 15 years. Only stopped working when I dropped it on the parking lot.

I would go Bushnell or Leupold, both excellent IMO. For some people Jolt is key, for others it doesn't matter. If it does to you, go Bushnell. If it doesn't, go Leupold - IMO they have better optics.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I am with the others... I have used a couple different brands and the V3 is the best that ive used. I went with a cheaper one (KickButt Rangefinder) at first, while I did not hate it, I did not love it either. I scored a good deal on a V3 with jolt and it was like night and day. The jolt is a must for me because I do not have extremely still hands, so that is a huge feature.

Adding on the V3 pile of lovers, have had mine for a few years now and NO intentions of changing.

I can't speak to the specific models you mentioned, but I can say that's it's hard to go wrong with Bushnell. I've used one of their Pro 1600 Slope Editions for quite a few years now. Other than a minor issue with the battery cover, it's worked perfectly and is tough. As others have said, you get what you pay for when it comes to electronics.

Another Bushnell vote...I've got the V2 without jolt and a buddy just got the V3 with jolt and it is pretty damn awesome. Makes me want to upgrade for no reason.

Dicks has the Bushnell Tour v3 Patriot Pack Laser Rangefinder for $207 today as part of their flash sale. I don't think you can beat that price.

Dallas Golf had a rangefinder for $119 a few weeks ago. It had slope and fog mode and was a Chinese brand although it was DG's own brand name on it. I thought I would try it and surprise it works really good. I compared it with a buddys Nikon and was as fast if not somewhat faster and yardages were within a few yards of each other.

I looked on the site and they no longer have it available. BTW, the warranty is 1 year no questions asked. I thought is was a good deal for a first time user of laser finders.

It was called the DG-1

Dicks has the Bushnell Tour v3 Patriot Pack Laser Rangefinder for $207 today as part of their flash sale. I don't think you can beat that price.
That's an awesome deal!

Unfortunately, Dick's only has the standard V3 and not the Slope version. I have a 20% off coupon for Dick's that I was going to use. I could still grab the regular V3 for around $185 at Dick's with the coupon. I may still go that route, but I was really wanting the slope version. I'm just keeping my eyes open for a deal at the moment.

Due to some long term reviews of the Caddytek rangefinders over at GolfWRX and other places, I decided to do my own comparison. I ordered one of the V2 Slopes online and I'm going to pick up a Bushnell locally today. I will try them out sided by side and then decide.

Cant say anything about the ones listed as I have not used them, But I have the Bushnell V3 and would definitely recommend saving the extra $$$ and going for a bushnell. You won't be sorry.

One thing to watch for in the cheaper models is the effective range. Usually when the price is low, so is the range. You don't want something that only goes out to 200 yards. Granted, you don't need something that goes out to 1000, but it's nice to have a good range.

Due to some long term reviews of the Caddytek rangefinders over at GolfWRX and other places, I decided to do my own comparison. I ordered one of the V2 Slopes online and I'm going to pick up a Bushnell locally today. I will try them out sided by side and then decide.

Really looking forward to your thoughts and comparison. I need a new laser, so I'm keeping an eye on this.

I had a Nikon coolshot 20 for about a year before it quit picking up anything outside of 125 yards. Would not recommend it, even for the sub $150 price that it can be found for these days. I sprung for a Bushnell Tour X earlier this year and cannot believe the difference. When people say go with Bushnell, there is a darn good reason. They are simply the best (IMO).

I had a Nikon coolshot 20 for about a year before it quit picking up anything outside of 125 yards. Would not recommend it, even for the sub $150 price that it can be found for these days. I sprung for a Bushnell Tour X earlier this year and cannot believe the difference. When people say go with Bushnell, there is a darn good reason. They are simply the best (IMO).

I would stick with one of the name brand rangefinders(Nikon, Leica, Bushnell, Leopold) even though that is no guarantee of durability. I had 2 Bushnell's fail on me for no apparent reason, one after 5 years and the other one after only 3 years. Neither was ever dropped other than a couple times on a soft fairway. I also owned a Z6 Jolt but sold it a few months after buying it because the focus ring required electrical tape to stay put and it was worthless in fog. I think they make a decent product but for good reason my opinion of their durability is low.

On the other hand, my Nikon from 1996 works perfectly even though it has had some serious abuse hunting. For golf, my Leopold GX-3i2 is the best rangefinder I've ever owned. Their optical clarity from their top rated rifle scopes carries over to their rangefinders. I was able to compare my Z6 side by side with my Leupold and the optical clarity, especially at dusk or dawn when I'm often on the golf course, and it is clearly better on the GX-3i2. The form factor is also slimmer/smaller than any other rangefinder which I appreciate since I often carry it in my back pocket for the entire round. If you ever golf in the fog, the Leupold fog mode is a plus, none of my Bushells or Nikons functioned in the fog.

Back