Rangefinder or GPS Watch

MH

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As the 2020 season is about a month away give or take a week or so I find myself without a range finder. I have used a range finder for the last 6 or 7 years and had full intentions of picking up a new Bushnell v5 when they are released. I still may but by chance I was scrolling through golf town online and noticed the Garmin approach s60 watch is in sale. I hadn’t had any prior interest in a gps watch as I really like rangefinders but the sale caught my eye.

I spent most of last night researching and reading reviews and low an behold I find out they released the approach s62 for 2020. The improvement made on the s62 more than enough justify the extra cost over the s60 to me, it even has slope adjusted yardages! So much for the good sale. The health tracking features built into this watch also sound unreal. The only downside is that it cost more than a top of the line range finders and I’m not sure this could replace a range finder for me.

I would love to hear any real life reviews/thoughts using a gps watch instead of a rangefinder. Does it make sense to have both a watch and rangefinder? My gut tells me it doesn’t but I’m definitely not against picking up both. Are there any other watches that I should research before buying the Garmin? Thanks in advance

My question with the gps is what if you play a course that’s not listed.
I recently bought a new rangefinder, I had been considering the bushnell slope but ultimately went with a suggestion from members here. The precisionpro nx9 hd.

Laser if you have direct line of site. GPS device if you do not. I purchased the Precision Pro NX7 Pro (with slope) and absolutely LOVE it!

While I can’t give you a review of a garmin watch, for that price I would recommend an Apple Watch with app features. I use the Arccos system on my Apple Watch and my phone as the full face range finder. They work fantastic hand in hand for all my needs. I love having the distances on my wrist for easy of use.

Plus, I think there is no better product on the market today for fitness tracking then an Apple Watch. You would get much more everyday use out of that.

Now, I wouldn’t mind one of those cheaper garmin options to get quick and easy distances and add a Precision Pro range finder when I need the exact distance or play like distance. That would probably still be under 500.

Reactions: MH
I used the Leupold gx-5i3 last year and sold it to get the Bushnell pro xe. I didn’t like the size of the Bushnell and decided to sell it over winter and planned to pick up a new one this spring. I really do like rangefinders but the more I read about the watch the better it sounds. I would love to hear from some gps watch supporters, will it take a while to get used to using the features the watch has?

I like to use both. I like knowing front, back and actual yardage to the pin. The more you know, the better your decision can be.

I bought the tec tec tec gps watch but haven't been able to run out for a round since I bought it a couple of months ago - I kept on leaving it at home. BUT it has good reviews and is inexpensive - $120 on their website. I'd also look at the precision pro rangefinders because they were reducing the price. Personally, I may not like the idea of wearing a watch when I play - but we have two golfers in the house. I may put it in my pocket and use it - don't know yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: MH
i Don’t like wearing a watch when I swing so it would be rangefinder all day for me.

also if you subscribe to the watch adding swing weight this ‘could’ affect your swing performance. Read an article on this a few years back and wearing a watch did seem to impact some players negatively.

I have been using a Garmin GPS watch for a couple of years, also have a laser rangefinder. Rangefinder is more accurate. Watch has issues keeping its charge after the second year. The GPS is a big power hog. Same with phone based GPS.

Unless you can seriously shoot within 15 feet based on the clubs you use, the GPS watch is the best option. Super easy to use and you don't hold anybody up being like Captain Ahab looking for an island. I always choose the correct club based on it, but my swing consistency is a different story.

I bought a Garmin entry level watch and sent it back after first use. It was about 8 yards off on everything when compared to a rangefinder or me walking off the yardage. Perhaps I should have gone for a better quality model, but instead I switched to a rangefinder for this year if we ever are allowed on the course.

Battrry life and accuracy is a definite concern, with a rangefinder I have never worries about either. I do like the idea of having both. Is the actual size of the watch an issue, I would be using it as my every day watch as well

My question with the gps is what if you play a course that’s not listed.

Also some courses like to change up their hole layout or move a tee box or green location. Unless the course map has been updated or brought to the oem’s attention it will read an incorrect yardage.

when I had a gps I can think of about 4 courses that had issues like this.

I use a Garmin S2, which is a few years old now. It's perfect for what I need, front, middle and back distances along with the other distances it provides. Honestly, I don't need exact yardage to the pin. Most courses I play have color coded flags for where the pin in on the green, I use that knowledge, along with the yardages the GPS gives me to gauge my shot distance. E.g. if it's a front pin location and my GPS says front and middle distances are 110 & 118 it's pretty easy to determine which club I'm using.

Now, having just read that the new watches also have slope on them? That's may be a reason to upgrade for me. I've also been looking at the shot scope GPS watch and that is also on the radar as an upgrade, would be nice to have that kind of data available to me.

Also some courses like to change up their hole layout or move a tee box or green location. Unless the course map has been updated or brought to the oem’s attention it will read an incorrect yardage.

when I had a gps I can think of about 4 courses that had issues like this.

would it matter if the tee boxes move? Wouldn’t the gps just adjust to the actual yardage?

I have the Garmin approach s60 watch and it is pretty accurate. If I'm standing by the 150 marker it will read 150 on the watch. There are days though that it will be somewhat off depending on the GPS signal. No more than once a month and not all the time during an eighteen hole round.

One of the features that I like is the Shot feature. When I got my new set of clubs and the course wasn't to busy. I would hit 10 shots with each club and average the length to get an idea how far I hit each club. And I almost always use it to see how far my Drives are for each round.

I also have a range finder if I want a specific distance rather than a general distance.

would it matter if the tee boxes move? Wouldn’t the gps just adjust to the actual yardage?
My bad. Correct.
Should have just said green location.

I have a sky caddie SX400. I really like it and the features. But, there are time I still wish I had a laser range finder.

I have a range finder and use it for the slope readings only. I prefer the markers to be honest. If your sitting at 164 yards out, can you specifically dial in that distance? I can't every time. Middle of the green to me really is how I play my best golf.

I have a range finder and use it for the slope readings only. I prefer the markers to be honest. If your sitting at 164 yards out, can you specifically dial in that distance? I can't every time. Middle of the green to me really is how I play my best golf.

I think it depends on your level of skill too.

164 is a perfect easy 26* hybrid for me in crappier conditions. If I’m at that yardage with a downhill shot or pin is in the front might try and step on a 6i. If the pin is in the very back I might club down as well just to prevent being long if there is trouble beyond the green.

So yes I think it’s good to know exact distance. Then again I get on Trackman about 4 times a year and go through my bag to ensure I know my exact avg carries of each club in the bag.

I used to use handheld GPS devices, SkyGolf and then a device called Golf Guru. Didn't like the subscription idea used by SkyGolf and the company that made the Golf Guru stopped doing handheld devices. Since then I have used a rangefinder and since the course I now belong to has GPS on the carts I have no need for another GPS, watch or otherwise. I've always questioned the accuracy of any GPS device anyway, as accuracy is only "guaranteed" to within 3m or so 95% of the time unless you are using expensive devices from companies like Timble. Most rangefinders are accurate to with 1/2 yard, some that can give you a fraction of a yard are even more accurate.

The big advantage of any GPS over a rangefinder is that you do not need line of sight.

That’s interesting regarding the accuracy of a god unit and do agree that a range finder is super accurate. Right now I’m leaning towards purchasing both for 2020, pretty sure I will buy the Approach s62 and torn on either waiting for the Bushnell tour v5 or possibly picking up the Nikon pro stabilizes now that it is on sale at golf town

I have been happily using my Garmin S20 for a couple years and have permanently left my Bushnell rangefinder at home. Any minor additional distance accuracy of the rangefinder was simply not worth the hassle of lugging it around and using it, for my needs at least.

That’s what i am concerned about if I get both of them. If I get used to the watch the extra accuracy of the range finder probably won’t be enough to really affect the outcome of my shot. The bonus is the approach s62 has a lot of features that aren’t just golf related

I like to use both. I like knowing front, back and actual yardage to the pin. The more you know, the better your decision can be.
That’s why I use a Garmin Z80.

Back