Rank these activities by how much of a sport they are.

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
Rank from most sport to least sport (with dividing line between "sport" and "nonsport" if needed)

the idea is to stratify questionable 'sports'

fishing
horse racing
poker
pool
golf
bowling
cornhole
bull fighting
motorsports (F1, nascar, etc)
eSports

Last edited:
golf
horse racing
bull fighting
fishing
bowling
poker
eSports
pool
cornhole

You can start getting really into semantics with these, but I would say the only sports listed here are Racing vehicles and Horse racing. The rest are all basically just activities. Bull fighting maybe.

You can start getting really into semantics with these, but I would say the only sports listed here are Racing vehicles and Horse racing. The rest are all basically just activities. Bull fighting maybe.
Interesting, I'm firmly of the belief that horseracing is not a sport.

but the idea is to stratify questionable 'sports'

Interesting, I'm firmly of the belief that horseracing is not a sport.
That’s fair, but it does take quite a bit of endurance and strength...and being a short statured person, to be a jockey. I don’t care for it, but I’d say it’s sport.

The only 2 I'd 100% say aren't sports are poker and eSports. They definitely take skill to play at a high level but are not sports.

Personally I would have to say Pool & cornhole are not sports, the same as darts & I have played competitive for darts for a long time in some big tournaments in Vegas. Bowling & fishing are questionable & I still have a hard time with playing video games being called a sport.
But I guess if you can turn an activity into a competition, then why not call it sport.

Sport - noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
Athletic - adjective
physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports:an athletic child.
of, like, or befitting an athlete.
of or relating to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina:athletic sports; athletic training.
for athletics:an athletic field.
Psychology. (of a physical type) having a sturdy build or well-proportioned body structure.Compare asthenic(def 2), pyknic(def 1).

I would have to say that although the traditional basis of "sport" is athletic, for me the mental aspect is paramount. So when I look at that list its hard for me to rank them because I consider the mental fortitude as well as the physical. Just because I dont personally take eSports or cornhole serious, those who do would rightfully argue that the mental focus and endurance is just as draining on the body as athletic ability in others.

Rank from most sport to least sport (with dividing line between "sport" and "nonsport" if needed)

the idea is to stratify questionable 'sports'

fishing
horse racing
poker
pool
golf
bowling
cornhole
bull fighting
eSports

Here's my order from most sport to non-sport:

1.Motorsports
2.horse racing
T3. golf
T3. bull fighting
5. bowling
6. fishing
7. cornhole
8. pool
9. poker
10. esports (non-sport)

I based my order upon the amount of physical AND mental toughness required to be the best in your field.

1.Motorsports
2.horse racing
T3. golf
T3. bull fighting
5. bowling
6. fishing
7. cornhole
8. pool
9. poker
10. esports (non-sport)

I based my order upon the amount of physical AND mental toughness required to be the best in your field.
Cornhole above pool is a bold choice.

golf
bowling
horse racing
bull fighting
fishing
pool
cornhole

eSports and poker not sports.

1.Motorsports
2.horse racing
T3. golf
T3. bull fighting
5. bowling
6. fishing
7. cornhole
8. pool
9. poker
10. esports (non-sport)

This is how I would rank them but 5-9 could be in any order in that subset. E-sports would be somewhere way beyond thumb wrestling and marbles.

I'd say:

horse racing
golf
eSports

(Big Gap)

bull fighting
bowling
poker
pool
cornhole
fishing

Most Sport

golf
horse racing
bowling
bull fighting
fishing
pool
poker
cornhole
eSports

Least Sport

1.Motorsports
2.horse racing
T3. golf
T3. bull fighting
5. bowling
6. fishing
7. cornhole
8. pool
9. poker
10. esports (non-sport)

While I agree with your requirements, how does cornhole require more mental (especially) or physical toughness than eSports? How does it have more mental toughness than poker? Maybe I don't understand what your concept of physical or mental toughness is.

This is my opinion. Just because it has sports in the name doesn't make it a sport. Pretty much anything you can do while drinking a beer, smoking a cigarette, and eating a corndog isn't a sport.

Yes, I realize a baseball outfielder can eat a corndog while smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer.:ROFLMAO:

While I agree with your requirements, how does cornhole require more mental (especially) or physical toughness than eSports? How does it have more mental toughness than poker? Maybe I don't understand what your concept of physical or mental toughness is.

I said and. Not either or.
esports require no physical ability. Only mental.
Poker is the same

Cornhole requires a bit of both. If you're too fat to toss a bean bag, you can't possibly play. It also requires mental wherewithal to know how to play, and how to strategize in a competition.

I suppose if you're an fat guy who likes to swear at kids esports athlete, you can potentially bring that ability to sit on a couch physical skill to cornhole, but you probably wouldn't be very good when going up against the guys who play standing up.

horse racing
bull fighting
golf
bowling
fishing
eSports

Poker is the same

Cornhole requires a bit of both. If you're too fat to toss a bean bag, you can't possibly play. It also requires mental wherewithal to know how to play, and how to strategize in a competition.
Too fat to toss a beanbag?

I was about to Google "fat cornhole tosser". Then thought better of it. ?

horse racing
bull fighting
golf
bowling
fishing
eSports
Thank you for being able to comprehend a simple set of rules. You have restored my faith in humanity sir.

Too fat to toss a beanbag?

I was about to Google "fat cornhole tosser". Then thought better of it. ?
That's exactly my point. Surely there is an able bodied person who can't do it for whatever reason. Therefore the game requires, to some degree, more physical ability than using your thumbs on a video controller.

this is such an interesting thread. makes me think "what defines a sport?" I think ive always included the necessity of athleticism to make something a sport. I feel like with most things, the more athletic you are, the better your mind works, so just that the egamers are on a workout plan, doesnt make their game "athletic." it might be mentally draining, but physically draining? not in the way that any real sport is.

Poker is the same

I suppose if you're an fat guy who likes to swear at kids esports athlete, you can potentially bring that ability to sit on a couch physical skill to cornhole, but you probably wouldn't be very good when going up against the guys who play standing up.
Right, I understood that you meant both mental and physical. I was just leaving room for the argument that one might require a lot of one of those and very little of another.

Carry on!

Back