Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor - THP Review Thread

Trying to finish this article up right now. I can't explain how impressed I am with this device, esp with the readouts in ball speed and launch. Add in the video playback if you are into that, and I think this device is pretty damn cool. Would it be nice if they offered to read spin? Sure it would, but at this price point, I think that's a hard one to include. I'm not sure it's really needed though. Going into a practice session with this and coming out with swing speed, ball speed, launch, carry, directional readouts, range mapping, and video playback, yeah I think that's plenty.

Trying to finish this article up right now. I can't explain how impressed I am with this device, esp with the readouts in ball speed and launch. Add in the video playback if you are into that, and I think this device is pretty damn cool. Would it be nice if they offered to read spin? Sure it would, but at this price point, I think that's a hard one to include. I'm not sure it's really needed though. Going into a practice session with this and coming out with swing speed, ball speed, launch, carry, directional readouts, range mapping, and video playback, yeah I think that's plenty.
Look forward to the article. This device is on my radar. I backed out of the Mevo+ when it was so backlogged and this might be more useful for me in the end. Just worried a little about the over-heating issues.

Look forward to the article. This device is on my radar. I backed out of the Mevo+ when it was so backlogged and this might be more useful for me in the end. Just worried a little about the over-heating issues.

I blame the over-heating on my phone not this device. My session yesterday was longer than the one where that happened and I ran into no such issue. Thankfully my phone should be getting replaced within the next month or so as it's 3 years old now. Basically a dinosaur in the tech world haha

@ddec Any info on Android availability? Were you able to test out indoor (net) mode too?

@ddec Any info on Android availability? Were you able to test out indoor (net) mode too?

So I tried net mode and it worked for 1 swing. I'll be updating my phone sometime here in the next month most likely and will be able to further test that. From what I am seeing, you need 6ish feet behind you and 8 feet between ball and net.

As for Android availability, I do not have that answer. I'd love to see it though and hope it comes someday.

I blame the over-heating on my phone not this device. My session yesterday was longer than the one where that happened and I ran into no such issue. Thankfully my phone should be getting replaced within the next month or so as it's 3 years old now. Basically a dinosaur in the tech world haha
Thats good to hear. I have an iphone 7 and need to upgrade too.

Thats good to hear. I have an iphone 7 and need to upgrade too.
it’s always nice to upgrade, but I’m not sure it’ll make much difference as far as the temp issue. I have an iPhone XS and it still temps out if I leave it sitting in direct sunlight for very long. It’s just kind of the nature of the beast.

FYI Amazon Prime day today has the Rapsodo for $399 at checkout. Still not for me as an Android user but just came across it.

Would it be possible to use and ipad mini, i only have android phones

Would it be possible to use and ipad mini, i only have android phones

Depends on which version. Off the top of my head I believe it was iPad post 2017. My iPad mini is prior to that

I love the overhead GPS view as on our range it's difficult to tell exactly how far you've hit it. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on an affordable launch monitor and this one has enough that I like that I'll get one. I have an anniversary in a few weeks and this would be an easy gift for my wife to order.

I love the overhead GPS view as on our range it's difficult to tell exactly how far you've hit it. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on an affordable launch monitor and this one has enough that I like that I'll get one. I have an anniversary in a few weeks and this would be an easy gift for my wife to order.

I like the overhead shot too. Plus I like that each of the dots is clickable, so I can see how far the one was, as well as the other metrics, and watch the swing

it’s always nice to upgrade, but I’m not sure it’ll make much difference as far as the temp issue. I have an iPhone XS and it still temps out if I leave it sitting in direct sunlight for very long. It’s just kind of the nature of the beast.

Especially in a place like Arizona! My phone temped out all the time living in the heat of Sacramento when using my phone on the range but that rarely happens here where the opposite problem is real. I'm looking at snowpack already damn it.
I like the overhead shot too. Plus I like that each of the dots is clickable, so I can see how far the one was, as well as the other metrics, and watch the swing

Love your review and feedback! I know I'm not going to get super accurate spin and launch but I feel like this unit finally offers enough accuracy on distance along with other features for $500 for me to pull the trigger. If I'm going to demo shafts with a driver I'll pay for a session with one of our pros which includes full Trackman data.

Especially in a place like Arizona! My phone temped out all the time living in the heat of

Love your review and feedback! I know I'm not going to get super accurate spin and launch but I feel like this unit finally offers enough accuracy on distance along with other features for $500 for me to pull the trigger. If I'm going to demo shafts with a driver I'll pay for a session with one of our pros which includes full Trackman data.

To be honest, the launch numbers were pretty spot on, something that certainly impressed the heck out of me because I wasn't expecting that. You obviously won't get spin, but the other categories the numbers were pretty damn good. I'll be curious to your thoughts if you end up pulling the trigger.

I purchased one last month after reading @ddec 's review, but have not been able to use it yet. That should change today. I just downloaded the app, updated the firmware, and plan on giving it a workout this evening at the driving range.

Reactions: JB
I purchased one last month after reading @ddec 's review, but have not been able to use it yet. That should change today. I just downloaded the app, updated the firmware, and plan on giving it a workout this evening at the driving range.

awesome. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Okay! First day with the Rapsodo, and I can say that I am impressed. I’m going to try to give an abbreviated initial review here.

The driving range I go to has full greens at multiple distances to hit to, with flags. This makes it easy for me to shoot the distances with my rangefinder so I know how far I am aiming. My range also uses Strata range balls, which vary in age and quality.

Overall, I am very impressed and pleased. It seemed pretty spot on with the distances, and worked mostly seamlessly through the practice session. I have used trackman indoors on multiple occasions, and do plan on eventually a purchase of the GC2. I do not have regular consistent access to a trackman though, so this purchase was filling a gap of something I was definitely interested in having regularly.

I downloaded the APP just today, went through and set it up, set my ‘bag’ (chose the clubs I’ll be using), set my profile picture, connected the Rapsodo via Bluetooth, and updated the firmware per an alert it gave me. All of that took less than 10 minutes, majority of which was spent on updating the firmware. Very easy, no issues.

I should also say, there’s not a ton of buttons or things to do with the Rapsodo to connect it. I hit the power button to turn it on, went into the app for the Connect my device part, and it popped right up and connected instantly. Easy.
I should also add, that I did opt in for the ‘Premium’ service @ $99 annually, for peak height, slow motion, and cloud video storage.

I was able to make it to the range after work, with a little over an hour until sunset. Setup on course was a breeze. Find an even spot, set it down, open the app. Using the app during practice was pretty simple as well, in that, almost nothing needed to be done. Very passive system, it records, plays a replay with data, setups up for next shot. (There are 2 other views, but I did not use them). I like the ability to go back to my session, look at data as a whole, or by specific club. It also gives option to delete some shots that would be outliers, or update the club used.

The app uses the forward facing camera to give me something to line up on. Literally a line on the screen, and says to make sure the ball is on the line. Very helpful, very easy to see and use. It also is plenty generous on ball placement though. I tried to range it 6 or 8 inches either way with no issue. It also recommends 8 feet of distance between the Rapsodo and the ball. I range 6 to 10 feet, again, without any issue.

The only places it seemed to struggle, was with the ‘Club Identification’ feature. You’re supposed to be able to hold the club up to the camera, and it pick up the change and make the switch for you. This seemed to work fine at first, but as it got later (and darker), it no longer would recognize. I assume it getting darker outside was the culprit, but will have to try again next time. Even still, it was quite easy to bend down, tap the club icon on the screen, and switch.
It also seemed to struggle with lower flighted stinger (read: thinned misses lol) shots. Again, could be due to getting darker outside, but it stopped recognizing those shots as I went. It did pick up the shots with high trajectory however.

Overall, very impressed. I am pleased to have data on my range sessions now, and the Rapsodo performed very well. If money was no issue, I would go GC2/+HMT/GC4. But for <10% price, the Rapsodo seems to be well worth the cost. And the Budget golf THP discount code does work!

Huge thanks to @ddec for his review and THP, it was a major factor in my decision to order, and I am very glad that I did.

Here are some views that the Rapsodo app provides.

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

Great stuff dude. And yeah, I didn't have much luck with the auto club detection either.

some news....

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 2.15.08 PM.png

I have a couple sessions in with it and it is my favorite of launch monitors I have tried in this price range (Mevo and Voice Caddy 3 were the others I tested). the auto detection is the only thing that didn't work as far as I could tell. Even though I selected 5I it updated it to 7I so for now my 7I distances are pretty impressive if you look at the app.

I had an interesting session with the Rapsodo yesterday.
And by interesting I mean bad.
And by bad, I mean it did not work at all.
Every shot would go green light (good to swing) to blue light (calculating) to green light again.
Did not show any swings, numbers, or anything. Did not capture any data.

frustrated was an understatement on the range.

I did upgrade my iPhone 11 Pro Max to an iPhone 12 pro max. Apparently, Rapsodo has an FAQ on their website that details my issue: make sure I’m the right distance, in frame, and not have a magnetic case on my phone.

I do have the apple leather MagSafe case on.
I will try again likely later today at another range session. Will try to remove my case, recalibrate, and hope it works.
If not, I plan on contacting Rapsodo tomorrow.

Update:

yay! It’s alive!

after taking off my MagSafe iPhone case, and re-calibrating the Rapsodo (manual and really easy), it works again!
Also, one interesting thing, you have to be much closer than before. Prior to the update I would push out 10-12 feet, now those shots don’t seem to register, but anything in that 6-8 foot range works just fine.
It did struggle some yesterday in the wind, but to be expected (tracer went wonky). Really only happened 5% or so of the time.

I do like the new alignment system. Gives a box to put the ball into, rather than saying, place the ball on a line.

I really wish the ‘my golf bag’ feature was better, so that I could add specific clubs and shafts, and try shafts against each other. As it stands I am having to use a different club as a fill in for a shaft v shaft comparison. (Example: driver v 5 wood. I do not own a 5 wood, so the 5 wood is really the driver with shaft B in it to test).

I think I am going to take the plunge and grab one of these. I was given a $200 amazon gift card from work and this seems like the perfect way to spend that money.

I think I am going to take the plunge and grab one of these. I was given a $200 amazon gift card from work and this seems like the perfect way to spend that money.
Looking forward to your thoughts

Back