Rate your course management ability.

What do you rate your course management ability?

• Total voters
I said 4. I'm not that good at it. I try to play conservatively. I try to avoid the hero shots. I try to avoid the shots where I need to carry anything like a hazard or water especially. There are times when I know the shot I'd like to make but I don't have it in my skill tree to make it happen... so it's a duffed or skulled shot.

I went with 6. I've gotten a lot better about assessing the best places to be vs the places where I think I need to be. It's helped out for sure, and I've pretty much stopped attempting anything close to a hero shot when I'm in trouble. I say "pretty much" because I'm not all the way there yet :ROFLMAO:

I gave myself a 5 only because I am distance challenged these days.

I just aim to hit the ball to the center of my targeted area. The idea being to have an easier next shot.

I went with a 6. Sometimes execution screws the plan up but I usually will not try something crazy.

knowing what I want to do to manage the course and being able to do that are different things. I gave myself a 5 because while I do try to manage the course right, I have a tendency to try the hero shot a little too often

I went with 5. I know what I should do to stay out of trouble. Half the time I do it, half the time I ignore it.

I’d say a 7. But that’s me knowing what I want to do. Being able to successfully do that is a different story :LOL:

4. I'm below average. I am good enough at doing it. I can really hunker down and play to spots and layup and be smart and manage misses. But I get board by that, usually by the 4th hole. I have more fun hitting driver and pin hunting.

I feel it is mostly good.

Sometimes I make bad decisions but usually it is a case of knowing it is the wrong decision but it is the fun decision. Some times you just have to go for it.

I knew I should hit hybrid off the tee, but what is the fun in that🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

That pretty much sums up course management for me.

5 for me-- I know what I should do but I don't often do it. 🤷‍♂️

I am much better at management and will start out with clubs I know I can keep in play most of the time. Once I know where more difficult clubs are trending like my driver, I will either use them more if they are behaving or keep them in the bag if they are acting up. I will also look at hazard distances and take them out of play with clubs that will not reach them.

Shots to the green are now more towards the safe areas/center than at the pin.

Mentally, I'll rate mine about an 8. I can think and plan my way around a course pretty well, but occasionally I'll look back and realize there was something I should have taken into consideration that I didn't.

Physically, I'll rate it about a 3. I can plan the shots well, but I can't consistently execute the plan.

I'd say under most circumstances, I'm an 8 and it's one of my few strengths. However, occasionally I have a round where I realize after it's over that my mind was more focused on other things and I could have done a better job.

Planning and execution are two different animals. I do think I'm pretty good at taking out big numbers through not attempting hero shots that are (for me) low percentage.

Then, Mr Execution puts those big numbers right back on the card........

Even though I've gotten better at it, I'm still not good enough. I selected 6. Sometimes, I'm just hitting the ball at the fairway then the flag.

I spent and still spend a lot of time on it.

I also spend a lot time busting a buddy's balls about it, because he knows how to do it just as well but never does, so he's basically a sandbagger. 😆

Do you want what we think we should do, or what we actually end up doing?

Not gonna lie, these numbers are much higher than I anticipated.

Do you want what we think we should do, or what we actually end up doing?
How you manage the course. Thinking it doesn’t mean much if you don’t try to follow through with it. Haha

James - I went 5 (as noted earlier), until I played that round with you last year, never gave it too much thought (sadly, didn't do it then either), but now I get it, I don't execute too often - but working on it. Frankly looking back the changes in how I play and what I aim for now, are are directly attributable to the round we had in Myrtle. So, thanks for that - ask me again after next season, and I hope my number will be higher.

How you manage the course. Thinking it doesn’t mean much if you don’t try to follow through with it. Haha
...5 then. Sometimes I have no choice but to avoid the hero shot.

Def improved with age and maturity. Still gotta grip and rip-it just need to know where to :)

I'm pretty good at knowing what I can and cannot do....which helps.

But I'm also confident that I have a good chance to get up and down within 100 yards if I have to lay up or punch out in different situations.

Oh, the ability is there. Problem is in the application department. 😉

Back