Rate your course management ability.

What do you rate your course management ability?

• Total voters
Not gonna lie, these numbers are much higher than I anticipated.
Really? Lol People tend to think pretty highly of their course management abilities.

That’s my point though.
I know you didn't like one comment.. yesterday? I think, but do love that you're all in on this lately and drawing attention to it here. And that you're getting your kids into this early so there's less old thinking/misconceptions for them to have to try to break later on.

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”
Your course management strategy is a lot easier to pull off when you have the game to support it.

Your course management strategy is a lot easier to pull off when you have the game to support it.
See this is the kind of thinking that gets me. If your strategy doesn't match the game you have, it's just bad strategy.

Strategy should match to ability, not ability to strategy.

I wish my shot execution matched the management part....:cool:

if i'm playing a course i know, then i would say an 7 or higher. you just know where to hit it and what not to go for. if i'm playing a course i have never played or barely play then it might be an 8 or higher....i find myself more careful and less likely to "go for it"

I like to think of myself as awesome course manager, but the execution, of course, is sometimes (maybe often!) not there.

I play a lot of match play and that involves a lot of managing the course to insure you put yourself in a good spot to score and put pressure on your opponent.

I said a 6. But there are times i need to talk things out with either my playing partner or just out loud with myself. I still talk myself into shots that I shouldn't more times than I want.

I do a great job of making sure I have a comfortable number going into greens during competition. I also am okay with lessening the damage if I do get wild.

My dad always said you can make up a boget with a birdie but not a double. It always stuck with me.

Last edited:
I gave myself a 7. But I actually think in reality it is better. I usually make the smart play. My scoring issues are rarely caused by dumb decisions. It is just me not being very good. I almost never bite off more than I can chew if I am not sure if I can carry something. Really the only dumb choices I make are because I have a bad lie and should just take my medicine. But even those are getting rarer.

3. I’m at a 20 HI right now. It’s not that I can’t swing, it’s that it’s been less consistent. My course management is better suited for where I used to be. There’s also a difference in playing in different states. I don’t know what it is, but I can be much more aggressive in my home state because things just fall into place.

I haven’t adjusted my course management well to match up with the course and my skill level. I’m starting to level off so it’s getting there. Incorporating more drivers off the tee and gaining trust in my driver is a big step. The numbers bear out that length is a strength. I’ve been taking my strength out of play because of old strategy tips. I probably play too conservative for my mindset which takes me out of the game. I need to find that balance of aggressive but not dumb targets.

I went with a 7.

I feel like I've improved here over the last couple seasons, but sometimes that hero shot sneaks in when I'm gunning for a hole. There's always room for improvement.

My shot selection and club selection tend to be good. I know when to take my medicine and when to go for it. Poor execution of a good plan doesn't detract from the plan. I've learned how to adapt to adverse situations. Bad luck doesn't count either. I gave myself a 7. There's room for improvement, but I do better than a lot of people. I've played rounds with PGA pros who've commented that my course management was quite good - it was my execution that was the problem - I shot 90 that day....

I rated myself a 9. I get a lot out of my game with modest ball striking and slow swing speed. Much of my scoring success comes from having a plan for each shot.

I picked 7. I'm following DECADE but still have more to learn and internalize. Still don't know when to "take my medicine", too many hero shots still attempted.

10. Every shot has a specific target to set up the next shot. I am very much in tune with my abilities, course and weather conditions, and in match play, what I have to do in reaction to my opponents situation. My course managment and knowing what I can do, as opposed to what I would like to do is what keeps me far up in the standings against young guns that hit it 30-40 yards past me.

My course management thinking and my ability to pull it off vary greatly the further from the hole.

The driver is safer for me then a 3h or 3w no matter what my home fairway is doing. I just hit the 3h/3w that badly off a tee.

The approach shot I know what I want to do but a mix of unlevel lies, rough and pressure have me doing what I want maybe half the time.

Within 50 yards in, my strategy and my actual execution on huge multilevel greens starts to show more often.

I guessed 6 and feel like I play pretty conservative golf to keep me out of trouble and in position to make good next shots

My hits and misses are quite consistent. Add in shot shaping and I can play very quickly, consistently putting my ball in preferred locations to navigate a course.
Shot shaping moves my misses, allowing me to keep the ball in play.

But, I'm still learning what works for me versus generalities that are better for most players. Fairways AND sandtraps are good lies for me. Rough is not, not matter what the distance.

I try to plan to play to what each hole offers me. Much of which is based on how well or not Im striking that day. As for real bad choices that costs me? Its not often the chopice was the issue but more just fail to ballstrike. I give myself an 8 I think Im pretty good manager for my own game.

I play a lot of match play and that involves a lot of managing the course to insure you put yourself in a good spot to score and put pressure on your opponent.
I feel managing competitive strategy is a completely different topic because the competition itself often dictates choices and or choices are made for that reason (just as in your example).
That a different thing (different kind of managing) vs one managing his own game in order to try to play smarter/safer golf resulting in better average scores round after round.

This is an interesting question because it all depends on where I'm at, who I'm with, and how many times have I played the course.

The first time I'm playing a course I'd have to say that my course management ability it pretty bad. I tend to pull the big dog too much because I don't know the shots, or I place myself in bad positions that I may not know about.

Also - differing groupings have an impact.... I again - may pull big stick because everyone else is when in should be hitting a 2 Fli-hi off the tee to stay safe.

Once I have a feel for the course, I make much much better decisions - even if I'm with big slingers that like to challenge all the tee boxes with their drivers.

so - give me a round or 2 on the course and I'm so much better.

Back