Ratty looking lead-tape strips.

v3.0

Reaction score
Handicap
--
I use lead-tape strips (the pre-cut type) on the back of a couple of my wedges, and one of my putters.

After as little as one round with them, they look beaten up, damaged, ugly, somewhat 'shifted' and whatnot, caused by my clubs rattling around in the bag.

If anyone has come up with a solution for this, or an alternative, I would love to hear about it, especially if it doesn't involve headcovers or a specialty bag.

Thanks!

If you wanted to go the bag route, there are bags that hold everything in place. Bag Boy makes two models. But you indicated you do not, so I am not sure there is a great solution for you. However, if you find one, please let us know.

Thanks JB! I may get a new bag anyways, and with my first new iron set on the way, I will consider your suggestion ....

Thanks TT! I thought I had read somewhere about the 'coverup' method. I just couldn't remember the details.

The first thing is to stop buying pre-cut pieces of lead tape or those pre-cut chunks of lead with the adhesive backs on them.

They suck.

The only way to properly add lead tape is to use lead foil tape like this:

tape.jpg

This tape is very thin and very malleable and can be form-fitted to any shape. I usually cut a piece to fit a given area, I then apply it to the area and smooth it out and shape it with an ice cream stick and then I trim off any overhanging excess with a razor blade. Once it's done, it looks as if the club came with it.

In the picture below, the club on the left has tape and you can see how nicely it fits the shape of the head.

655TM2.jpg

I always start with a clean surface and what I do as an added measure is to wipe down the area to which I want to apply tape with acetone to ensure an oil-free surface. Once the tape is on and trimmed, it would take a considerable and deliberate effort to remove it or move it.

Lead tape wiil however show scratches and it will oxidize and turn darker in color. This is easily cleaned away when the club is washed or a "shine" of sorts can be restored by first cleaning the tape's surface and then lightly passing a propane torch flame over it, which "melts" the surface a bit, causes the scratches to meld together and restores a bit of luster (just don't hold the flame over the tape too long).

I've been using 1/2-inch wide lead foil tape for decades (I buy mine from Golfworks) and it's the only tape I'll use. I've tried the packaged tape and lead chunks, but none of them seem to stay put and none of them actually "fit" the shape of the club like foil tape can.

-JP

The first thing is to stop buying pre-cut pieces of lead tape or those pre-cut chunks of lead with the adhesive backs on them.

They suck.
Those are what I have been using.

And I agree!

Wow, JP. Thank you! What a wonderful post! And what a beautiful job on that wedge: I think I will go with this, unless someone else betters your post! Unlikely probably; your post has 'final word' and 'thread-closer' all over it!

The easiest fix I know is to place your lead tape on the club head in the correct position to get the desired club fix you are looking for. Try the club out a few times to be sure. Then take a soft mallet hammer of some kind, and gently tap down on the lead strip. What you are doing is making sure the strip is securely fastened to the club head. Basically getting rid of any air pockets. You will see a bunch of little flat spots on the lead strip from where you tapped it with the mallet. Takes about two minutes to apply, and there is no drying time. I have a club I added lead strips to a few years ago with this method, and the lead strip is still holding firm, and in the correct place.

If you just apply the strip by hand, it is not going to hold on very long.

Back