RBZ Driver Shaft Suggestions Wanted

lmaz806

Reaction score
Handicap
GOLF
Hey all. I am looking for some suggestions for a driver shaft for a RBZ 9.5* head or the same loft in a Razr Fit head. I am currently playing a G20 with the stock TFC169 TOUR version in regular flex. It is a fairway finder for sure but I could always use a little more distance. I have the RBZ with the TP HD6 shaft in stiff flex and I hit it well just a little higher and a little shorter than the G20. I am looking to tinker with some shafts that might help me gain a little distance by actually giving me a little more roll after the ball hits. If the fairway is soft my driver shot backs up as much as my wedge shot on the green. A little about my game......about a 13 hdcp. and my swing speed with a 7 iron was an average of about 82 mph and I hit it about 155 yds so I imagine that my driver swing speed would be in the low 90's. I have a very quick transition and I release the club very early. The first and last numbers on the Mizuno optimizer were either a 7 or 8 consistently. My regular miss is off the toe or sometimes a push right, from standing up with the early release. If I don't get through to my left side and stay on my right side the push right turns into an ugly right to way right shot. That is my biggest swing flaw and I have been working hard to get through each shot and it has improved a lot. My ball flight is either straight or a slight fade and I hit everything very high. I hoping that all you very knowledgeable people might give me a few shaft suggestions to tinker with as I work on my swing. I know that I am not going to carry a ball 260 and have it roll out another 25, but maybe 10 yards of roll out instead of backing up 5 would be an improvement. Once I get the swing a little more consistent then I will opt for a driver fitting but for now any input would be greatly accepted.

Last edited:
What's you budget? On another note, your 7I swing speed and mine aren't that far apart so I bet your driver ss is higher than you think.

What's you budget? On another note, your 7I swing speed and mine aren't that far apart so I bet your driver ss is higher than you think.

I really don't want to go out and spend $300-$400 at this time just to tinker.........but $200 and under would be a reasonable consideration. I really don't think my driver speed would be past 95. I lose too much speed with the early release.

Well you're already hitting a mid launching shaft that has mid/low spin. Is there a shop locally where you could get some launch numbers to go by? If you could find a place that has TM fitting cart then you could try a bunch of options and go from there, the upgrade price should be in your window as well. I'd hate to see you go blow money on a shaft without having data to go on. Say it's high back spin (which is my guess) that's killing you and not a high launch, if you buy the wrong shaft you'll still have some issues.

Our miss sounds like the exact same thing, same issue and ball flight. I found the Kusala Black to be very beneficial to me, as well as the Dromos, both Miyazaki.

Matrix has a really cool fitting tool on their website as well, give it a look.

http://www.matrixshafts.com/?mid=website&act=dispWeb30SwingprintView

Something like the pro force V2, pretty cheap, mid flight or the project x black could help you lower the ball flight to get some more roll.

Well you're already hitting a mid launching shaft that has mid/low spin. Is there a shop locally where you could get some launch numbers to go by? If you could find a place that has TM fitting cart then you could try a bunch of options and go from there, the upgrade price should be in your window as well. I'd hate to see you go blow money on a shaft without having data to go on. Say it's high back spin (which is my guess) that's killing you and not a high launch, if you buy the wrong shaft you'll still have some issues.

Our miss sounds like the exact same thing, same issue and ball flight. I found the Kusala Black to be very beneficial to me, as well as the Dromos, both Miyazaki.

Matrix has a really cool fitting tool on their website as well, give it a look.

http://www.matrixshafts.com/?mid=website&act=dispWeb30SwingprintView

I will take a trip over to Golfsmith and see what they have to demo and see what kind of numbers I get. What flex code are you using with the Miyazaki shafts? Thanks for the Matrix link, it suggested a RUL 60 as one of the shafts. It's funny because I almost bid on one the other day on ebay with the tip installed. It went pretty cheap too. What do you think of me trying a heavier shaft, like a 70 or 80 gram? I have read that might help with my style of swing. Sorry for all the questions.....

A proforce v2 would be a good choice for around $70, you might want to take a look at a prolaunch red.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

I will take a trip over to Golfsmith and see what they have to demo and see what kind of numbers I get. What flex code are you using with the Miyazaki shafts? Thanks for the Matrix link, it suggested a RUL 60 as one of the shafts. It's funny because I almost bid on one the other day on ebay with the tip installed. It went pretty cheap too. What do you think of me trying a heavier shaft, like a 70 or 80 gram? I have read that might help with my style of swing. Sorry for all the questions.....

Well you can get a lower flight with more weight but as far as technology has come I think finding a profile that suits you is key over weight. You should find a few options in the fitting cart, if nothing else you'll gain some knowledge to make a better decision. Check the homepage for the RUL review, its also in the Adams Speedline if you can find that thread, might get a little insight from that as well.

Off the top of my head I can't recall the flex code on my Black or Dromos. Both drivers are in my truck which isn't close by lol. If you have time, check the miyazaki site, both of mine are the 61S series.

Hey all. I am looking for some suggestions for a driver shaft for a RBZ 9.5* head or the same loft in a Razr Fit head. I am currently playing a G20 with the stock TFC169 TOUR version in regular flex. It is a fairway finder for sure but I could always use a little more distance. I have the RBZ with the TP HD6 shaft in stiff flex and I hit it well just a little higher and a little shorter than the G20. I am looking to tinker with some shafts that might help me gain a little distance by actually giving me a little more roll after the ball hits. If the fairway is soft my driver shot backs up as much as my wedge shot on the green. A little about my game......about a 13 hdcp. and my swing speed with a 7 iron was an average of about 82 mph and I hit it about 155 yds so I imagine that my driver swing speed would be in the low 90's. I have a very quick transition and I release the club very early. The first and last numbers on the Mizuno optimizer were either a 7 or 8 consistently. My regular miss is off the toe or sometimes a push right, from standing up with the early release. If I don't get through to my left side and stay on my right side the push right turns into an ugly right to way right shot. That is my biggest swing flaw and I have been working hard to get through each shot and it has improved a lot. My ball flight is either straight or a slight fade and I hit everything very high. I hoping that all you very knowledgeable people might give me a few shaft suggestions to tinker with as I work on my swing. I know that I am not going to carry a ball 260 and have it roll out another 25, but maybe 10 yards of roll out instead of backing up 5 would be an improvement. Once I get the swing a little more consistent then I will opt for a driver fitting but for now any input would be greatly accepted.

my home course had the taylormade cart with various shafts for the R11 and RBZ drivers. I tried several but liked the Matrix RUL best. However, it was listed over $300. I went to Dick's Sporting goods and bought an Aldila NV green for $45. I had preordered the adaptor and installed it myself. I cut the shaft to the same length as the OEM shaft, and installed a grip. Needless to say I saved a bunch by doing it all by myself. I had the NV in one of my older drivers and was happy with it. It seems to work well with my RBZ, and gets a lot of roll.

Back