Re-Gripping Question - Tape Width

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've always used the standard 2" wide tape that you get at golf works. I've always noticed when I re-grip clubs you get some slight overlap of the tape. My question is, "Will this affect anything with the Golf Pride Align Grips?" I know when installed the rubber align will rise slightly. God me thinking about that when I removed the old grips and instead of 1 large piece of tape they used the small stuff (I think it's 18mm?). So the tape didn't completely cover the shaft. Just wondering if I should use the smaller tape to leave the bottom open for the align or am I just over thinking my tinkering like usual.

I used the standard 2” stuff with Align grips and it was totally fine. Mind you, they were the MCC variety so I don’t know if there’d be a difference in feel if you were putting on a set of tour velvet. I suspect it’d be alright though.

I use the 1/2" and spiral wrap it up the shaft. I hate removing the 2" solid tape when regripping.

Wasn't a big deal with the overlap whatsoever honestly. I run it right where the raised part is anyway so you don't even notice it

Did you ever notice the overlap with any other grip you have ever used? If not, there's your answer.

I've always used the standard 2" wide tape that you get at golf works. I've always noticed when I re-grip clubs you get some slight overlap of the tape. My question is, "Will this affect anything with the Golf Pride Align Grips?" I know when installed the rubber align will rise slightly. God me thinking about that when I removed the old grips and instead of 1 large piece of tape they used the small stuff (I think it's 18mm?). So the tape didn't completely cover the shaft. Just wondering if I should use the smaller tape to leave the bottom open for the align or am I just over thinking my tinkering like usual.

No, it won’t affect anything.

I just regripped a wedge today, and the tape slightly overlapped. I had the same worries, but now that it's done I can't feel any difference.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If there is a tiny bit of overlap make sure it is in the top side of the shaft. You will not even notice it

If you 1.88in standard masking tape from Walmart, it is the perfect width to not overlap.
Afterward you can use the 2in double sided tape from Walmart and it will fit perfectly

Heat is your friend when removing tape. Can easily remove it in 1 or 2 pieces with a little heat.
This is so true! If only I had learned this trick years ago...

Back