Re-shafting wedges to match Cobra one length irons.

The Swede BC

Reaction score
I'm looking to re-shaft my Cleveland RTX CB 2.0 56 & 60 degree wedges to match Cobra one length F8 irons (37.5"). I've read that wedges are typically outfitted with 8 iron shafts in a stiff flex. Can anyone offer me some advice? Thanks!

Cobra's OL are all based off (their) 7 iron shaft. However, re-shafting standard wedges is likely to cause issues. Standard wedge heads are going to be much heavier than Cobra's OL wedge heads, and their OL wedges already play heavier than their OL irons. I'm not sure how much heavier this custom one would play, but I think you would not see nearly as much benefit as you are searching for.

Cobra's OL are all based off (their) 7 iron shaft. However, re-shafting standard wedges is likely to cause issues. Standard wedge heads are going to be much heavier than Cobra's OL wedge heads, and their OL wedges already play heavier than their OL irons. I'm not sure how much heavier this custom one would play, but I think you would not see nearly as much benefit as you are searching for.

Thanks phoffer. I was thinking the same thing myself. I think I'm going to try extenders first, just because they're relatively cheap. If that doesn't work, I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the OL wedges.

It's possible to make, but it takes some time and some drilling to reduce head weight. Depends on how much you're wanting to take on and/or capable of.

I'm looking to re-shaft my Cleveland RTX CB 2.0 56 & 60 degree wedges to match Cobra one length F8 irons (37.5"). I've read that wedges are typically outfitted with 8 iron shafts in a stiff flex. Can anyone offer me some advice? Thanks!

As others have said there is more too it than just making the shafts the same. If you make the shafts longer without changing the weighting you will have gaping issues. If It was me I would just play with the shorter wedges. I have been playing OL for 2+years and If I was going to do it again I would probably get standard wedges If I was getting wedges not included in the set.

JMHO

It's possible to make, but it takes some time and some drilling to reduce head weight. Depends on how much you're wanting to take on and/or capable of.
Thanks for the advice. I think that's way too advanced for my level of golf.

Back