Ready Golf During Slow 5 Hour Rounds

Cruskater

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA Sucks
Seems like pace of play is on everyone's minds these days. I am neither a fast nor slow player. I've had two recent 5+ hr rounds on weekends on fairly challenging courses. One is not too difficult but has elevation changes, is long, and has distance between tees. The other is not too long but has a ton of blind shots with elevation changes. Over labor day the group I was paired with was hit into twice by an overly eager older couple and I watched as two nearly came to blows. The group in front was backed up and we were about 1/2 hole to 3/4 hole behind. We asked the couple to play through but they realized they would have to likely skip several holes and groups.

Last weekend we played the course with lots of blind shots with a pair of older golfers who decided to play the back tees because of the pace of play. They both hit weak slices often in the woods and would spend several minutes looking for their balls. When in the fairway, however, they would immediately drive to the first ball regardless of where my wife or I hit. We would have to yell to them to get out of the way before we hit. We would all wind up waiting in the fairway for the green to clear for several minutes as everyone putted out. On a two occasions, I wound up well beyond them and just into the rough. I was chastised for taking two long to look for my ball. They asked me to play "ready golf!" and wanted me to just drop and move on. I looked for nearly the full 3 minutes on both occasions and found my ball with the help of the missus. On the last hole, I timed one of the gentlemen in the woods and asked him to drop after taking nearly 6 minutes looking for his ball and shouted "ready golf!" as I walked away. The other gentleman pointed out that they try to play briskly when in the fairway because they know they will often be in the trees.

My question is this...on both occasions we were very backed up. They did not seem to be bothered by the rhythm of playing super fast and then waiting for 5-6 minutes for the green to clear each time. Naturally, they too took their time on the greens, which featured Sunday pin locations (it was a Sunday). Should we play with such pace when everything is backed up (when playing as a couple and it is this backed up, we'll either play through or I'll take some practice pitches, etc). I'm also not a fan of some of the difficult weekend pin locations. Once a week players will wind up taking too much time and loosing too many balls with tough sucker pins. I say use those pin locations on Thursday or Friday mornings when the regulars are out playing and get around in 3 hours.

When the course is backed up I don't rush at all. Me and my main golf buddy look for balls in the woods, chat a lot, take our time at the tee box, etc. No reason to rush when you end up waiting no matter what.

I usually play ready golf- but I don’t see the reason to hurry, just to sit and wait. When the course is slow, I play at a relaxed pace- one that keeps me from excessively waiting, but not necessarily falling behind the group in front. I’ll look for a ball for a few minutes- but I’m not spending 5+ looking, I’ll drop and move on.

I’ll also take a little more time on the greens, marking my ball between hits and taking a little longer picking my lines.

Sounds to me like you just had some bad luck with the groups you got stuck playing with.

Its an interesting story the OP put out here. Imo the bottom line comes down to the "all about me" mindset that is so dominating and always was.
Pace issues are never a happy things and always on most folks mind. The comments about the whys and hows of slow play fly all the time. But its almost always only an issue when its someone else doing them. Almost no one has the patience for others yet when its for themselves the very same things are magically never an issue at all.

I don't pay much attention to pace of play when I see the course's parking lot is pretty much full. That's my first clue, (before I pay my green fees) that it might be a longer than normal round of golf that day.

I think golfers who know the course is busy, and it's going to be a longer than normal round of play, who complain about it, are doing a disservice to themselves.

I have a pre-shot routine that takes care of most all pace of play situations. I'm always ready to hit when it's my turn.

If the course is backed up, all I care about is maintaining our place behind the group in front of us - nothing else you can do. We still play ready golf, but there's no sense of urgency when there's nowhere to go. I don't have anywhere else to be, we've got music, good friends and a couple good cigars, so we just try to make the best of it and enjoy the day.

If the course is backed up, all I care about is maintaining our place behind the group in front of us - nothing else you can do. We still play ready golf, but there's no sense of urgency when there's nowhere to go. I don't have anywhere else to be, we've got music, good friends and a couple good cigars, so we just try to make the best of it and enjoy the day.

I’d enjoy those lengthy rounds more if I could take that approach. My mindset (in all of life…driving, walking, work…not just golf) is to be in position to pass when there’s a sliver of daylight. We may never get the opportunity to get by that slow group in front of us (or the one in front of them…or the one in front of them), but I sure want to be right up on them in case that opportunity presents itself.

My playing partners don’t usually subscribe to that theory, so that just increases my frustration when things are backed up.

I think those people are being awful.

Your pace is almost always dictated by the group in front of you. I've made plenty of comments to my playing partners before about "we're not going anywhere" when we are discussing going to certain balls first etc.

Sucks that people are like that out there, but I guess that's the risk of playing with randos.

I guess I have 2 takeaways:
1) super slow golf sucks and might be worse than no golf
2) sometimes people just suck & golf isn't immune

A 5 hour round would absolutely kill me and I would take very little pleasure from it other than on a holiday or special occasion. We played on Sunday afternoon and only managed 14 holes in 3 1/2 hours due to agonising slow play in front of us and I was about ready to weep when we finally walked off. I like to get into a groove on the course, and find it very hard to sit and wait 5 mins between each shot. Has become a real issue at my course, and it only gets worse over the autumn/winter when the days shorten and tee times are less available.

The folks who "don't get bothered" by the differing pace of hitting and waiting are usually the ones contributing to the problem. "Ready Golf" is fine- if EVERYONE on the course is doing it. Not gonna happen.
Say you have 4 guys- 2 walking and two riding. "Ready Golf" is ridiculous. the guys in the cart get to their ball and hit while the walkers are still trundling up the fairway? MAy as well play as 2 2'somes- you lose the social aspect of the game. More likely the cart guys get to their ball and have to wait anyway. IF the walkers can't reach, then the cart guys have to hide while walkers lay up.
Last week when I played at Ferry Point Park- it was Carts only. 4 guys, 3 carts. As we made our introductions we all figured 'Ready golf' when possible because of all the wandering around that was inevitable with the wind, fescue, etc.. As well as they were going off the Blues (had absolutely no business hitting from there, but that's their $90 worth of lost balls, not mine) and I was off the Whites. Not out there to go broke or kill myself. No matter who did what they would go first and I would then go off the Whites. Except- 2 times they forgot and just went off down the fairway without a glance back. I SAY they went down the fairway- what I meant was they went off down the cart path on the RIGHT side (1st time) or LEFT side (2nd time), got out and walked ALL the way over to the other side of the fairway in the Fescue to search while I was trying to get their attention. After that I made sure to get to the path next to the Blue Tee first so I could block the way a bit to remind them. Once that got straightened out, it was pretty much a shooting gallery. Not a lot of fun to be honest.
Sure- If everyone is walking or riding and it's fairly well paced and open, sure, go ahead and Ready Golf to save what, 5 minutes over a 4 hour period? In my little regular threesome, one guy is normally fairly short of the tee, another is longer than he is and I'm usually the longest. Ready golf isn't really an issue, because Guy 1 HAS to layup (usually) so he goes while we watch. Guy 2 can sometimes reach so he has to wait most of the time. And by the time I go, the green is usually clear so it doesn't affect our pace. AND- the social aspect of the game is kept intact. Because the quality of the shot will determine the amount of ridicule imposed.

The folks who "don't get bothered" by the differing pace of hitting and waiting are usually the ones contributing to the problem. "Ready Golf" is fine- if EVERYONE on the course is doing it. Not gonna happen.
Say you have 4 guys- 2 walking and two riding. "Ready Golf" is ridiculous. the guys in the cart get to their ball and hit while the walkers are still trundling up the fairway? MAy as well play as 2 2'somes- you lose the social aspect of the game. More likely the cart guys get to their ball and have to wait anyway. IF the walkers can't reach, then the cart guys have to hide while walkers lay up.
Last week when I played at Ferry Point Park- it was Carts only. 4 guys, 3 carts. As we made our introductions we all figured 'Ready golf' when possible because of all the wandering around that was inevitable with the wind, fescue, etc.. As well as they were going off the Blues (had absolutely no business hitting from there, but that's their $90 worth of lost balls, not mine) and I was off the Whites. Not out there to go broke or kill myself. No matter who did what they would go first and I would then go off the Whites. Except- 2 times they forgot and just went off down the fairway without a glance back. I SAY they went down the fairway- what I meant was they went off down the cart path on the RIGHT side (1st time) or LEFT side (2nd time), got out and walked ALL the way over to the other side of the fairway in the Fescue to search while I was trying to get their attention. After that I made sure to get to the path next to the Blue Tee first so I could block the way a bit to remind them. Once that got straightened out, it was pretty much a shooting gallery. Not a lot of fun to be honest.
Sure- If everyone is walking or riding and it's fairly well paced and open, sure, go ahead and Ready Golf to save what, 5 minutes over a 4 hour period? In my little regular threesome, one guy is normally fairly short of the tee, another is longer than he is and I'm usually the longest. Ready golf isn't really an issue, because Guy 1 HAS to layup (usually) so he goes while we watch. Guy 2 can sometimes reach so he has to wait most of the time. And by the time I go, the green is usually clear so it doesn't affect our pace. AND- the social aspect of the game is kept intact. Because the quality of the shot will determine the amount of ridicule imposed.
In my regular foursome, it's the same way. I'm by far the shortest hitter, so I can go when the other guys usually have to wait for the fairway/green to clear.
It's the same when I play with ntanygd760. He bombs it way past me, so I can hit my bunt while he's waiting for the course to clear 60 yards ahead of my ball. Lol.

I always play ready golf but I don't let slow rounds get to me. I am having too much fun for that to happen. What does get to me is when others in my group cause us to be the slow group that is holding up the flow. I am not shy about trying to urge those to "pick up the pace" , but I don't get nasty about it. And what usually happens is I start rushing my game and that causes poor shots on my part, and that's what really burns me. :mad:

With seniors, "ready golf" can be slower that playing in order.

Playing in order allows eight eyes on a shot which are how many seniors need.
Hopefully, somebody will see where the ball landed.
With ready golf, not so much.

At least we stick to weekdays.

If the course (and group in front of you is slow), no need to rush around. If someone in my group was rushing around, I'd just ask them, why hurry up, just to wait. You know the course is slow, and you're not going anywhere, no need to rush each shot, and then end up waiting a few minutes later.

Back