Really laying into one.

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
How is it that once in a rare while you hit a tee shot that goes WAY farther than what you've been seeing? Yesterday in my match, after hitting my driver so so for most of the first 13 holes and really for much of the year, I hit a drive on a 360ish par four that took off like a Tomahawk missile. Left me about 70+- yards to the flag. That's like 35 or 40 yards farther than what I see when I hit one that feels pretty good. The longest drive I've hit on this hole in three years as a member at this club. Now the course is dry so I know it rolled a little more than normal, but it carried my cart mate's drive by a good 20 yards and was a good 15 yards in front of Shrek's drive, and he was past me easily all day. And he was in the really dry rough on the other side of the fairway.

What the muscles? Where the heck does that shot come from, and where the heck does it go when it's not around? I want that shot for every hole. I understand a feller can sometimes luck into just the right launch angle and find the sweet spot perfectly, but it seems swing speed would be a huge factor, also. And it seems doubtful I suddenly ratcheted up the old MPH for one swing.

Weird. It fascinates me. FWIW my index is 4.7, and the shot was made with a Penta ball and my The Morgan Cup R11 shown in my signature below.

How do you explain this when it happens? If it can be done once, it's in there somewhere. I want more. Much more.

Kevin

I dunno. I hit a 215 yard 5 iron once, and just sat there jaw agape.

Beats me, man. Ive wondered the same thing, every now and then I'll send one far beyond my normal reach.....my theory is magnets, that or something in the chem-trails.

Because you created more lag than normal, and likely paired that with hitting the exact sweetspot of the club.

In short, your swing was much better/better timed than any other.

Beats me, man. Ive wondered the same thing, every now and then I'll send one far beyond my normal reach.....my theory is magnets, that or something in the chem-trails.

Or maybe magnetic chem trails. Stupid on the unsuspecting populace government experiments.

Kevin

I've wondered that at time as well. I hit a drive the other day, that was 15 yards beyond anything I have hit on that same hole before...and the tee box was 25 yards behind its normal spot. Granted the fairways are a little firm, but I don't think it that much roll out. And it was down wind, but I have played it downwind before and still haven't gotten there before.

I think it probably has something to do with just the right tempo, sweetspot, ball compression, etc..etc....i'm sure there is a magic mix of conditions that produce those shots.

Because you created more lag than normal, and likely paired that with hitting the exact sweetspot of the club.

In short, your swing was much better/better timed than any other.

I think it probably has something to do with just the right tempo, sweetspot, ball compression, etc..etc....i'm sure there is a magic mix of conditions that produce those shots.

You'd think it would happen more often. It might be a little ugly, but my swing is relatively consistent.

Kevin

You'd think it would happen more often. It might be a little ugly, but my swing is relatively consistent.

Kevin

Absolutely agree, it would make sense that it would happen more often. However, we are talking absolute pure perfection with timing, lag, mechanics, etc. Even the pro's don't do that often at all...maybe once every few rounds? Hell, Tiger says he's only ever hit one perfect shot in his book.

It's the same way Bubba goes 330 on a drive, then next thing you know he kills one 370.

it's just a excellent fluke. Sometimes you just hit it with a bit more speed, a bit more lag, a bit more perfect. It doesn't take much to add or subtract yardage, or as we all know to hit it right or left.

Kevin

Absolutely agree, it would make sense that it would happen more often. However, we are talking absolute pure perfection with timing, lag, mechanics, etc. Even the pro's don't do that often at all...maybe once every few rounds? Hell, Tiger says he's only ever hit one perfect shot in his book.

It's the same way Bubba goes 330 on a drive, then next thing you know he kills one 370.

I agree with both of these. I'm feel like my swing is pretty consistant but if I can get that pure ball once ever other round I feel extremely happy. But I agree that you would think it would happen more often, but I also agree that its just getting it all to happen perfectly all at the same time is very rare.

I understand what your talking about. I hit a 3wood through some trees about 260 today on a power fade. Love it when it happens just wish I could hit it lke that always.

pure hidden talent my man! :wink:

Mercury aligned with Saturn, and Mars was rising

I think you've just been channelling your inner Belbs on those drives man. Either that, or just perfect timing ;)

It's what I call flashes of greatness. How do you skull one 15 feet then unleash it about 280? No mystery: That's golf.

for all of the NW THP'ers who've played Redtail- the #15 hole- long dog leg right par 4 with water on the right. it's probably 330 or so to clear the water... usually, i leave my drive right about at the 150 marker (bout a 260 yd drive). but one day last summer when i played, i pushed one dead right and all i was thinking was "crap, lost ball." so i just looked away, put my stick in the bag, and waiting for the rest of my group to tee off.. walk down to the drop zone, and i see a white spec out across the water. i drop a ball thinking it can't be mine, probably a ball from the 16th par 3 that comes back toward the 15th tee. but no, walking down the fairway i see a x-out prov1 with a large J on it (my ball/mark at the time). my jaw was almost on the ground..

It has been happening to me lately but I know why, I've been working on my lag and getting rid of my casting which has proven a tremendous task but when I get a hold of one I see a huge increase in my distances.

Casting is a huge problem for me as well. Although I fell like I made a good strike I have seen video and I tend to flip at the last second. When I don't, I get that penetrating flight that just looks so nice.

Perfect tempo, lag, weight shift, etc....i know my swing is very flawed but once in a round i will just hurt the ball and that just inspires me that there is hope for my game.

I agree more and/or better timed lag has a lot to do with it.

Yesterday I stepped up to the tee on a 483 yard par 5 with my 3-Hybrid simply because my Driver had been awful to that point and was going to stop the bleeding and play it as a 3-shotter. Instead I murdered the ball on a beautiful trajectory down the center of the fairway with a slight draw. Only had 231 left to the center of the green and I hit the same club thinking after that I could easily get home in two. My line drive 1/2 duckie had other thoughts and thanks to some good roll finished up about 15 yards short and left of the green.

Par five in two with my 3-hybrid would have been a good story to tell at work tomorrow. Not to be.

twice in the past month Ive hit some crazy long shots for me

1 was in an outing on a long drive hole, won it at 360 yards (was about 250 carry and a TON of roll)

the other was just saturday, trying to "layup" on a par 5 where I couldnt see the front of the green. I had 250 to go, I hit a 7I which I normally hit 170ish. It felt solid out of the rough and much to my surprise it went 215 and left me a half lob into the green.

I think we all get those occasional "where did that come from?" shots Esox.
If you can figure out how to get those all the time, please let us all know.
Then we all could go to Q-School and start making some real cash!

this happened to me yesterday...there's a par 4, downhill par 3 that is 335 with a bunker in a strip across the front of the green ...i was trying to just hit my drive infront of the bunker and leave myself about 50-60 yards to the pin...hit infront of the bunker and hard bounced to the back of the green. sometimes it just happens

Back