RealPretendPsychic's 2020(1) Grandaddy Marathon

well better that it jump up to where your playing now, otherwise you'd get screwed on strokes :cool:. But 40 is a really nice nine! congrats
Too true. I’ve been playing well above my cap for a couple years just due to lack of playing time. It’s about time it catches up to me!

Too true. I’ve been playing well above my cap for a couple years just due to lack of playing time. It’s about time it catches up to me!
yup! I'm hoping i can time my improvement right around the big tournament i play in each year, of course without manipulating anything!

yup! I'm hoping i can time my improvement right around the big tournament i play in each year, of course without manipulating anything!
I usually do one or two random golf weekends a year so for me peaking at the right time just means being able to get the ball off the ground and keep it in play so I can back up some of my smack talk.

How often are you looking to get out on the course now lockdown is over @RealPretendPsychic ? A couple of times per week?

How often are you looking to get out on the course now lockdown is over @RealPretendPsychic ? A couple of times per week?

Things are going to be nuts for the next few months as we go through budget season at work and continue dealing with covid, so I’m aiming for at least once per week. I also plan to continue using my SkyTrak to improve my shot dispersion and hope to get out and do some serious chipping and putting practice once facilities reopen.

Things are going to be nuts for the next few months as we go through budget season at work and continue dealing with covid, so I’m aiming for at least once per week. I also plan to continue using my SkyTrak to improve my shot dispersion and hope to get out and do some serious chipping and putting practice once facilities reopen.

Two years to build up I guess, so no rush either. ;)

My plan to not make bad on-course decisions paid off over the weekend. Pretty long course for me, took driver on every 4
Caught fire for the first time this year over the weekend. Shot a 40/45/85. 40 is my best front nine in the last 5 years and I had a birdie! Struggled out of the sand, but my putting was much better. I didn’t get in trouble off the tee and my irons were great, but I did struggle with full wedges (confusing...).

Had a little bad luck or I could’ve gone lower, but I’m trending in the right direction! Looking at my handicap scores, a few rounds from 2017 are keeping me low so it would appear my 13.3 is about to balloon 😖
Well this handicap take didn’t age well. Still sitting at a 13.3 (and not complaining!). I played one of my best rounds in the last 5 years over the weekend going 45/37/82. And that 45 included 2 triples... 🤦‍♂️ only had 30 putts with a chip-in and a bunch of very nice up and downs. I hit driver on every 4&5 and it treated me well. Still need to work on my sand game (badly), but my game appears to be in a good spot.
D8792D56-83FE-41BC-B0D1-5DE39360F2F2.jpeg9E207180-1EB0-4D67-9195-9C9F40A6921B.jpeg

What do like / dislike about your current bag set up?

What do like / dislike about your current bag set up?
Starting from the top:
  • Driver - TaylorMade R1 - I’ve never really clicked with this driver. I’ve seen distance gains across the board except with this club. I also never swung this before putting it in the bag. Lately more playing time has translated into better consistency with the driver
  • 3W - Callaway Big Bertha - suits me fine. Covers the gap between driver and 3h and hit it as well as any 3W I’ve ever played.
  • Irons - Adams Idea A7 3-4h and 5i to PW - I like the irons a lot, but not the hybrids. Distance isn’t a problem, but I generally don’t get the height I’d like with the hybrids and feel like I lack consistency with them.
  • Wedges - cheap Top Flite wedges I bought 10 years ago to fill the gaps. Not a fan, but they’re serviceable.
  • Putter - Odyssey 2-Ball CS - I’ve had the putter for 10 years (like everything else). I really struggled on the greens early on this year and just acquired a Triple Track Ten S, so I’m set here.

Love that you're pushing through with the big stick. Oh, but when you get fit...:D

Love that you're pushing through with the big stick. Oh, but when you get fit...:D
I keep telling myself playing time will sort it out. I also keep telling myself not to look at the free fitting deal at Club Champion! 😆 First goal is getting back to peak performance with these clubs (and the new amazing putter).

Since my outlier 82, I’ve gone 89,89,90. The first 89 was at an easier course and the last two were at a more challenging course I played growing up. Consistency is definitely lacking. I’m adding a sort of waggle to my pre-shot routine to try and improve my swing plane.

My tee shots have been boom or bust, especially on the more punishing courses. Irons have largely been consistent, but I need to maintain better focus to avoid chunks and thin shots. Chipping has been fantastic and even my sand game has made some progress. Putting was great 2/3 rounds, but I didn’t feel comfortable out there today. Still 34,33,32 putts over the last three rounds.

I’m sitting at 13.7 with a low outlier about to be tossed. If I can eliminate the blow up holes (typically off the tee), I’ll be in a good position to make some serious improvements.

Just came across this thread, awesome to hear your background and watching this thread as the Granddaddy gets closer every day.

I bet the itch to fix the bag is increasing tempered only by the new shiny toys in your future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came across this thread, awesome to hear your background and watching this thread as the Granddaddy gets closer every day.

I bet the itch to fix the bag is increasing tempered only by the new shiny toys in your future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The temptation to reconfigure the bag is strong! I’ve already played almost as many rounds this year as I did in 2019, which was more than I had played the previous 3 years combined! That plus joining THP are not doing any favors to my current setup 😆 but right now the only real ponder I have is wedges. I’m counting on more range time to help me elsewhere although the Epic price drop and hopefully a near future Callaway distance fitting may convince me otherwise.

The temptation to reconfigure the bag is strong! I’ve already played almost as many rounds this year as I did in 2019, which was more than I had played the previous 3 years combined! That plus joining THP are not doing any favors to my current setup 😆 but right now the only real ponder I have is wedges. I’m counting on more range time to help me elsewhere although the Epic price drop and hopefully a near future Callaway distance fitting may convince me otherwise.
So maybe you play and keep this bag as the second set with the Callaway fitting as your number 1? Golf is an evil game sometimes :ROFLMAO:

So maybe you play and keep this bag as the second set with the Callaway fitting as your number 1? Golf is an evil game sometimes :ROFLMAO:
Oh it can be mean, but it always keeps me coming back for more! I haven’t thought about it, but I guess I’d consider sending my current set down to my parents’ place in North Carolina so I have the option to not travel with my clubs. But how could I not use my shiny new clubs for every round? I’ve never had this “problem” before and I sure won’t complain about it!

Played a couple rounds over the weekend. Miserable round with some heavy rain on Saturday. Shot a 95 and there weren’t many positives (other than the company) to take away from the round. I did have 4 par saves and 32 putts. The TT Ten S has been 🔥 (see below).

Sunday was the most feast or famine round I’ve ever played. 89 with 26 putts. 2 birdies and 3 triples. I was less than a foot from a HIO and followed it up with a 275 yard drive and 230 yard 6 iron (wind at my back) for my first ever back to back birdies. Trouble off the tee absolutely crushed me and my recovery shots were not very good. I started using my 9i to chip around the greens and looked like a pro out there! And I didn’t drop any putts over 10 feet, but everything inside that distance was in.

Lots of time on the SkyTrak coming up with an emphasis on woods and hybrids.

edit: photo evidence of the near-ace!B6121592-B85E-4008-B0D3-EDAEC64B148D.jpeg

I found the big sticks! Driver was on fire today and I only got in trouble off the tee with a 5i and a 3W. I seem to have defeated my tee box demons. Finally settled in on chipping with the GW and occasional LW when needed. Things are coming together nicely from tee to green with my only real weakness being greenside bunker play.

My garage sim is down pending some termite repairs, but playing at least once per week this year has resulted in some consistent golf.

I’m in arguably the most consistent stretch of golf I’ve played in the last 10 years. Turns out playing once per week may be a recipe for success?!
F28AFD49-26E8-4DFA-A59D-244474C39D42.jpeg

It’s been a challenging 2020 summer with covid cancelling plans, suddenly losing our dog, the unexpected cost of a termite infestation, and my wife still working long hours in the hospital as we enter the second year of her residency.

Golf has been a great way for me to recenter myself and enjoy the time spent on the course. Still haven’t made the repairs in the garage so no SkyTrak, but I’ve been doing plenty of putting and (very) short chipping in the house and am seeing returns on the course. Hoping to continue this run and have a bounce back second half of 2020 on and off the course.

Another few weeks of very solid golf other than Sunday’s round where I was struggling with some pain from overdoing it the previous few days (still had a 41 on the back!). New development - I had my first sandy par of the year and a trio of excellent sand shots (for me) over the weekend. After struggling from the sand all year, that’s a major improvement to my game.
5E400BE9-B33D-4BB1-8726-63B0A19D7268.jpeg

I love how you’re relaxing and settling into your game. It’s coming together for you my man. And with the addition of that TT Ten, your going to be dangerous this year.

Always fun when you're ttrending in the right direction! Been enjoying learning about you and your golf game! Keep it up, and it will pay off down the road!

Keep up the hard work! You are going to break 80 soon!

I love how you’re relaxing and settling into your game. It’s coming together for you my man. And with the addition of that TT Ten, your going to be dangerous this year.
The TT Ten has been a fantastic addition to the bag! I’ve made more long (and short) putts this year than I ever did before. Confidence is through the roof on the greens!

Always fun when you're ttrending in the right direction! Been enjoying learning about you and your golf game! Keep it up, and it will pay off down the road!
Appreciate it! More playing time this year has paid off immensely. It’s still a bit of a rollercoaster when I’m out on the course, but that’s what makes golf so much fun!

Keep up the hard work! You are going to break 80 soon!
Thanks Cap! I’m feeling confident and making a late summer push and we’re entering my favorite part of the golf season... Fall golf!

we’re entering my favorite part of the golf season... Fall golf!
What makes it your favorite part of golf season?

Admittedly I love fall, and I love golf. But fall golf can be frustrating with lost balls in the leaves. Help me change my tune!!

Back