Recent struggle, unable to pull trigger on medium wedge shots

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I've got a new, recent struggle.

I am very well dialed in on my wedge distances. Put me on the sim or a range, give me a distance, and I've got two or more shots, using different wedges to get there.

Past few rounds, however, I am coming up very short when I have a 20-40 yard wedge shot. I know how to hit them, but my subconscious is overriding my brain.

Brain says "1/2 swing, full speed follow through", but my subconscious says "were too close for a full speed swing", and I don't execute and come up short.

It's very frustrating and a very new development.

Any tips, besides believe in myself and make the shot?

Process over outcome. Focus on your landing spot? Not the flag?

I was recently struggling with this and opted to change my approach to a shortened swing and exaggerated follow through while trying to hit my targeted landing spot. My play from 30-60 yards has dramatically benefited from this change.

Just chipped 'n flopped a few before bed here.
"Swing the handle, not the head."
"Use that bounce! Use that bounce!"

Think about using body rotation to execute the shot and carry the appropriate distance. Keep the hands passive and rotate back and through with no rushed movements. Try to take a divot too on those short shots; if you use body rotation, you can hit confidently down and through and learn to control the trajectory and spin.

Wrists and hands are going to be your enemies on these shots!

There is a video on instagram that I wish I had saved that someone had taken of Tiger at Torrey Pines I think warming up hitting pitch and chip shots at the range and whenever I feel like I am losing control with those shots I think back to how calm Tiger's body is for the shot. He does not move his head up and has very little movement in his legs.

I don't think you can get a "full speed shot" from a half swing wedge. The follow thru should go all the way, but the speed should be much less than full. I think that is where the hangup is.
It should just be a smooth easy motion back and thru.
If coming up short then club up with the same motion.

What really helped me was this swing thought from Michael Breed: think "languid" during your swing. You want to be relaxed, purposeful, and complete.

Think about using body rotation to execute the shot and carry the appropriate distance. Keep the hands passive and rotate back and through with no rushed movements. Try to take a divot too on those short shots; if you use body rotation, you can hit confidently down and through and learn to control the trajectory and spin.

Wrists and hands are going to be your enemies on these shots!
I was thinking about not rotating and getting to the front foot as well. (y)
Small chip shots for practice and just keep lengthening the swing once each distance is re-established. Same for every club in the bag. (y)

I thought about this too: the world. It's stressful out there, and it must be hard to concentrate for all of us and "be in the moment" for each shot.
Also that time of year for slight burnout from many rounds played, hot and humid, physical breakdown of the body etc.
This was always a tough time of the season for bad habits to start creeping in. Sometimes I'd just take a week or two off to re-set.

Put me on the sim or a range, give me a distance, and I've got two or more shots, using different wedges to get there.

If I put you on the sim or the range and give you a distance you get one club and one ball to get there.......just like the course.

What @blueonblack posted. Very seldom is the flag the actual target in one's golf game, especially the short game.

Focus should be on landing areas, with the flag pin being the ending destination of the shot.

As for the subconscious over ruling the conscious part of the brain, that's easily handled by just tricking the subconscious. Just consciously take a longer club, and let the subconscious control the swing. Let the club do the work.

I do this a lot. Subconsciously I see a 7i distance, but I pull a 6i for the distance required. I am rarely wrong, distance wise. Accuracy wise? That's another issue.

My experience so far has been, in my practicing, that if I set myself up right and focus on the execution, the goal is achieved more often than not. Or at least something close to it :) Whereas if I allow myself to be distracted by the goal, my execution suffers and I miss more often than not.

In the shooting sports many recommend a visualization technique. You visualize yourself getting all the bits right--posture, sight picture, trigger pull, follow-through, and making the shot. Perhaps try that? At idle moments, or perhaps before falling to sleep at night, spend a few moments visualizing getting yourself properly set up and executing, and seeing the ball go where you mean it to go?

I believe visualization is designed to overcome performance anxiety, which sounds to my layman psychoanalyst mind like what might be your problem?

I was thinking about not rotating and getting to the front foot as well. (y)
Small chip shots for practice and just keep lengthening the swing once each distance is re-established. Same for every club in the bag. (y)

I thought about this too: the world. It's stressful out there, and it must be hard to concentrate for all of us and "be in the moment" for each shot.
Also that time of year for slight burnout from many rounds played, hot and humid, physical breakdown of the body etc.
This was always a tough time of the season for bad habits to start creeping in. Sometimes I'd just take a week or two off to re-set.
I should be stressed in life but I'm pretty Type B about it all. It is much different on the course and I always have fear and demons creeping about in my head. These can definitely wreak havoc in the short game and "freezing" during the shot can happen. That's why I make damn sure to rotate on all of my chips and pitches; when I do that, it really makes it so much easier to hit quality shots.

Yeah I guess when your body is facing the target with a nice follow through, things will probably turn out pretty good.
I'm streaky between Type A fleeting moments and a whole lot of type B. :ROFLMAO:

yeah, its not a mechanics thing. It is a mental thing. Maybe I need to adjust my wedge motion in close. Good points all.

I did a wedge matrix yesterday at my lesson. 90%+ of the shots were within a club or two of each other, all across the matrix.

I just need to trust myself more. Like I said, this is a very recent thing.

I don't think you can get a "full speed shot" from a half swing wedge. The follow thru should go all the way, but the speed should be much less than full. I think that is where the hangup is.
It should just be a smooth easy motion back and thru.
If coming up short then club up with the same motion.
Yeah, that is my current method. I will experiment with different thoughts and swings.

I've got a new, recent struggle.

I am very well dialed in on my wedge distances. Put me on the sim or a range, give me a distance, and I've got two or more shots, using different wedges to get there.

Past few rounds, however, I am coming up very short when I have a 20-40 yard wedge shot. I know how to hit them, but my subconscious is overriding my brain.

Brain says "1/2 swing, full speed follow through", but my subconscious says "were too close for a full speed swing", and I don't execute and come up short.

It's very frustrating and a very new development.

Any tips, besides believe in myself and make the shot?

It's not likely mechanical, but I can't say, because I haven't seen it. Doesn't sound like you've truly committed to the shot before you step in to hit it...AND...you are worried about the outcome. As Romeo might say, "your brain is getting in the way!"

Process over outcome. Focus on your landing spot? Not the flag?

Good advice for every club.

It mighta been breed who said, the last thing you focus on is where your subconscious tries to hit. It's usually trouble; sand or water or too long or too short

I like Pennick's "take dead aim"

Good advice for every club.

It mighta been breed who said, the last thing you focus on is where your subconscious tries to hit. It's usually trouble; sand or water or too long or too short

I like Pennick's "take dead aim"
I like that. I tried yesterday. Keep lining up a little right on my intended target. Workin' on it!
Three range sessions now after 5 years off and lotsa injuries. It's all process right now. It's weird. It's like I'm trapped in someone else's body.
The good news is; I know I have no room for bad habits. The bad news is...

This was pretty much the shot I started my range session with yesterday, millsan1.
Like the tour guys say, repetition is key. Their hands look like hamburger they hit so many of these. One of the toughest in golf to pull off. Tough yardage. Lotta feel and muscle memory combined. And relaxing for them is tough. I was feeling like I was "dropping" the clubhead on the back of the ball, rather than "swinging" the club. Letting the weight of the heavier wedge help me and feeling it. (I'm hearing those old Bobby Jones instructionals in my mind as I type that. He was so low key in those. Love'd 'em!)

I'm also working on trying to maintain the loft angle at address as far back as I can in my backswing to "feel" that same loft angle when coming back into the ball and to make sure I use that bounce as intended. That really helped with my sand game the last time I was at the range.

Had a good day in this respect today.

Instead of thinking about the mechanics on these shots, I concentrated on targets and had much better results.

My thought. Don't care about the outcome. Let your body decide the right speed.

Had a good day in this respect today.

Instead of thinking about the mechanics on these shots, I concentrated on targets and had much better results.
Feel the flow, Happy. Feel the flow. (y)

Back