Recoil shafts. What are the characteristics of protos vs standard?

Minarets

Reaction score
Handicap
They are practically double the price and I see many of you have them here. I am currently using Steelfibers and love them but have liked the regular Recoils I have tried in stores but never paid enough attention to what shafts they are exactly, spec wise.

I see standard recoils are available ( I believe 600 series? ) with most club makers but don't know enough of the difference. I read the proto are for the "better player that wants to work he ball more" buy what have y'all seen? And what does that mean from
a feel perspective??

I'm really curious to hear some responses on this and learn more. The Protos are one of my only failed experiments. They're supposed to have a stiffer tip, higher balance point, and lower flight than the recoils. Which sounded great to me. I keep meaning to throw them in some heads that aren't designed for launch/distance, but never seem to do it. I tried them in three different players distance irons though, and I couldn't keep them out of the stratosphere without a concerted effort. I'm not sure they hold up better than the recoils to a strong transition or heavier loader, and they felt pretty active to me. Smooth (which often equates to too soft for my transition), and active. I have limited time in on graphite iron shafts though, so not a lot to compare to. I know four what I would call 'better players', WITH pretty decent speed who have tried them, and none of us tried them very long. I honestly don't know who they're meant to fit well. I don't think it's people who need no help getting the ball up. I might be wrong, but I don't think Canadan's sweet customs stayed in play long either, at least on those heads. My hunch would be that if you like the recoils you've tried that you'd like them. Maybe a lot. They definitely seem like a slight step towards what they say they are supposed to be, when compared to the standard recoils, to me. JB, Bigdill, and some others will surely have some great feedback for us, because they are popular here, and the guys that like them seem to really like them.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am already a high ball hitter with my Steelfibers. In fact, my spin is nothing to right home about with my 7i in my 0311 Gen 1 (around 5500-5900) but i never have an issue holding greens. In fact I'm usually 2' to 3' from my divot on greens and I have to chalk that up to my decent angle. I would def like a little more penetrating ball flight to look at but would have to consider that with the spin i get.

They are just double the price and not sure if many manufacturers offer them. I keep wondering would I be missing out on something that would benefit me more than the regular.

The protos sure look more like steelfibers on paper than the 600 series. Torque value is almost half that with the protos. The 600 series and the protos sound pretty different from one another? From purely a torque perspective, I think I might be apt to try the protos.

They are practically double the price and I see many of you have them here. I am currently using Steelfibers and love them but have liked the regular Recoils I have tried in stores but never paid enough attention to what shafts they are exactly, spec wise.

I see standard recoils are available ( I believe 600 series? ) with most club makers but don't know enough of the difference. I read the proto are for the "better player that wants to work he ball more" buy what have y'all seen? And what does that mean from
a feel perspective??
For me, I see lower launch and spin, and thusly on a personal level I get better dispersion. There’s also more stability in the lighter weights, I get on GREAT with the 95 protos, but not so much with the non proto 95’s.

For me, I see lower launch and spin, and thusly on a personal level I get better dispersion. There’s also more stability in the lighter weights, I get on GREAT with the 95 protos, but not so much with the non proto 95’s.

If I am currently a SF 95 user would you suggest the protos as far as playing closer to the SF?

Have been eying the Protos as an alternative to my i95 Steelfibers.
The trajectory described as "mid" is appealing in the Protos. Steelfibers they usually state them to be low/mid launch (which I always though were more mid,) so if you wanted to lower flight or spin, I wonder if the Protos are the ticket?

I love my Recoils. I have been toying with the idea of getting my irons bent 1 degree up to get a slightly more penetrating flight.
going from high to mid high would be nice.

Would be curious to see a side by side comparison of the Reg vs the Proto shafts. JB could you do this in the Lab???

I switched from KBS CTaper 120s to Recoil Proto 110s in PTX Pros and have the regular Recoil 110s in my Hogan wedges and Forged Tech irons (avg 3° stronger lofts than PTx). The Reg Rec launch higher than the Proto or CTaper, especially with the short The Proto and CTaper were about the same but I had better dispersion with the Proto. The Reg Recoil are nice feeling around the green. The tip is softer.

For reference, I hit my 7 iron 170+/-. Last time I was on a monitor, my spin with the 7 was in the 5800-6200 range.

I’d give the Proto a hard look.

I've had curiosity about the protos for some time. Playing F5 110's I find they are plenty stiff, comparable to and even stiffer than some X-flex steel shafts, and offer good control. I hit them a bit on the higher side, but that's typical for me across most shafts I have tried. So many here on THP have the protos (or so it seems), and maybe sometime I'll try a set.

So the Protos are a little more tip stiff? Adding to tighter dispersion?

I love my Steelfibers and would consider them again but always looking for something different for potential better results.

If I am currently a SF 95 user would you suggest the protos as far as playing closer to the SF?
My answer would be yes, if you like SF 95s. I think if you are on a continuum, going from more lively to less lively, higher launch/spin to lower launch/spin, it would be standard Recoil, Protos and SF.

Accuracy not-with-standing, but Mamiya UST has a fitting tool on their web page that attempts to match player profile with suggested shaft. Their recommendation for me was Recoil 760 ES F2. which coincidentally was what I ordered even before I read their recommendation(s).

Accuracy not-with-standing, but Mamiya UST has a fitting tool on their web page that attempts to match player profile with suggested shaft. Their recommendation for me was Recoil 760 ES F2. which coincidentally was what I ordered even before I read their recommendation(s).
That's the same club they recommend for me but, I hit these great and am in love with them!
20191223_170925.jpg
I thank THP and @JB every time I pull them out on the course. 😊

Ha. I did the fitting tool and it recommended the recoil 110 F4 or the recoil 110 prototype F4.

I have the Recoil 95 Proto because it was the closest to my preferred steel shaft in profile and I wanted to switch to graphite (graphite is great on my wrists).

I know that the Protos have a lower ball flight than the regular Recoil 95’s and that’s what I need.

@e1iterate plays the 110 Protos over the regular 110s probably for the same reason.

Last edited:
I have the Recoil 95 Proto because it was the closest to my preferred steel shaft in profile and I wanted to switch to graphite (graphite is great on my wrists).

I know that the Protos have a lower ball flight that the regular Recoil 95’s and that’s what I need.

@e1iterate plays the 110 Protos over the regular 110s probably for the same reason.

My Morgan Cup irons will have the regulars in them so I’m hoping to be able to give some real feedback on this. I will say that when I asked Danny Le, he said I wouldn’t notice a lot of difference. @JB also had similar feedback as @DannyLe

My Morgan Cup irons will have the regulars in them so I’m hoping to be able to give some real feedback on this. I will say that when I asked Danny Le, he said I wouldn’t notice a lot of difference. @JB also had similar feedback as @DannyLe

Wouldn't notice a lot of difference in the 2? The protos and the regulars?

Wouldn't notice a lot of difference in the 2? The protos and the regulars?

Correct. Not much. I do believe the Protos inspire a lower ball flight, but again...not a huge difference.

Interesting. Wonder why the two exist if there isn't much difference? Especially at the price difference.

I swapped out a proto utility recoil in my hybrid to replace a 780 smacwrap ES recoil. The proto definetly drop the launch angle. Everything else that changed is mainly feel as I feel like it allows me to feel the club head better by a little bit. I didn't get a chance to check on a launch monitor however.

Most simply stated, the Protos will have a stiffer tip section and slightly lower ball flight. That said, I think the ball flight is definitely more club head dependent than shaft. I have a hard time getting my Forged Tecs elevated as high as I would like, but have to problem getting the PTx Pros to get up.

I believe that the Protos play a closer profile to steel, from my experience, and in fact surpass steel in performance. If you are looking for more spring from the shaft, I think the standard 110 would be a good fit. If you are looking for something that would play more similarly to, say, a Dynamic Gold 105 profile, then I think the Protos would be the answer. The principal behind the recoil design, in general, is that the shaft ovals a bit when swung, just like steel. The difference is that the graphite design in the recoil allows it to snap back into position faster, thereby creating a more stable feel and allowing more energy to be transferred through the swing. I am a believer in this effect/concept having played the proto 110s for about a year now, and now using the LIN-Q which is the most stable shaft I have ever used. It’s feels crazy good.

Correct. Not much. I do believe the Protos inspire a lower ball flight, but again...not a huge difference.
Wow. Haven't tried either, but isn't the torque value like half with the protos versus the regular version?
That could make a large difference in feel? Lower torque usually feels firmer at impact?

I played SF 95’s in a set of Srixon 545’s for a couple of years ad really liked them. I then moved into Recoil 95’s in my combo set of Z565/765/965 and really like them as well. I currently have Recoil 95 Protos in 2 of my 3 wedges and a regular Recoil 95 in my other wedges. Personally I find no difference in feel, height or dispersion. I use all 3 wedges for all kind of shots including full shots and personally I don’t notice much difference.

Alternatively, if you wanted to drop flight you could always hard step the irons which is what I did with my current set of Srixons which are slightly lower than my Apex Pros (not hard stepped) understanding both heads have differences. It would be best if you could get to a fitter and try both shafts in identical heads and get real numbers, etc. It is a lot of extra money for the protos and you really want to be certain before forking out a ton of cash.

Back