Recommend a 3-W and 5-W for a beginner

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I have a basic bag for a beginner but now that I'm getting into golf and see it as a long term interest I'm looking to expand my bag.

I'm interested in a 3 and 5 wood next (scratching the 3-W for the moment on some recommendations below). I guess forgiveness is the main requirement.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Tour Edge C521 line.

How basic is your bag? When I started I had a driver, 4h, 5i-PW, and putter. I bought a 3W next, followed by a set of GW, SW, LW. I was kicking myself for not buying the wedges first as I use them far more often than fairway woods.

How basic is your bag? When I started I had a driver, 4h, 5i-PW, and putter. I bought a 3W next, followed by a set of GW, SW, LW. I was kicking myself for not buying the wedges first as I use them far more often than fairway woods.

Driver, 5i-PW,GW,SW and putter.

3 woods are tough clubs to hit off the deck. I would bag a 5W first, then look for a 3W later if you need more distance than the 5W gives you or if you want to try a different tee club.

For a budget option to look out for used, my playing partner bags a Callaway x2 Hot 5W from a couple years ago. The accuracy is a little squirrely, but it is easy to hit and almost driver long.

I've been using B21 fairway woods, along with the B21 driver. They're ridiculously easy to hit, compared to every wood I've tried. I've wanted to like other, sexier, clubs and the B21 keeps kicking them out of the bag.

3 woods are tough clubs to hit off the deck. I would bag a 5W first, then look for a 3W later if you need more distance than the 5W gives you or if you want to try a different tee club.

For a budget option to look out for used, my playing partner bags a Callaway x2 Hot 5W from a couple years ago. The accuracy is a little squirrely, but it is easy to hit and almost driver long.

Thanks. I think I will edit the post as someone else mentioned the 5W.

I would probably start with a 5w and go from there unless you're looking for a driver replacement in a 3w. The 5w would be so much easier to hit off the ground than a 3w which is a really tough shot. Maybe even crack it up a degree or two to help the launch. I can thoroughly recommend the Cobra RadSpeed 5w, ridiculously easy to hit long and elevate.

Beat me to it (y)

I started playing about 5 years ago and could never hit a 3 wood or a 5 wood. About 3 years ago I bought a Callaway Heavenwood and got used to swinging it and pretty darn good. I was averaging about 210 yards of carry with it. A few months ago I went for a fitting at CC and was fit into a Callaway Epic Max 3 wood with a Ventus Blue 6. I can hit this thing so consistently off the deck and what a boost in distance. This thing is never leaving the bag.

I would check Callaway Pre-owned for used BB Fusion in 3 & 5. I found those to be very easy for me to make some VG shots with.

Driver, 5i-PW,GW,SW and putter.
I like what is being recommended here.
After playing for awhile I would slowly introduce a 7w and latter a 5w.
Once the 7w and 5w have been put in play the set doesn't need to change until your skills have improved significantly.

If you a Veteran or first responder (or anyone at certain times) check out PXG on a discount.

Maybe consider a 4w. If you are open minded Matlby KE4 is an outstanding performer for the $. The 16* loft launches easier off the deck than a 3w and is plenty long enough on those tight driving holes.

As a beginner, I recommend you go 4-wood (17*) and 7-wood (21*). More loft is your friend at this stage. If you have a tendency to go right with your fairways, get something with draw bias. Ping has almost always offered forgiving fairway woods In those lofts.

Tour Edge Hot Launch

Back