Recommend a hitting net and mat

Here you go:

20191105_171456 by dthrog00, on Flickr

1" PCV cage 8'10" wide x 8'6" tall x 5'0" L/R shank protection
Cage bungeed to back of garage wall to prevent accidental tipping, etc...
Carl's Standard impact screen 9'x9'
Gourock 10'x10' netting on left, right, and top to catch errant shots. The L/R nets are riding on shower curtain type rings for easy movement.
Fiberbilt Flight Deck mat 8' from net
Stance mat made from 2 pcs of .75" thick 3'x4' horse mat with emerald mat on top
Flightscope Mevo launch monitor
Samsung tablet to work w/the Mevo

The net on the ground is to try to limit bouncing, etc...

Dave

Here you go:

Gourock 10'x10' netting on left, right, and top to catch errant shots. The L/R nets are riding on shower curtain type rings for easy movement.
Stance mat made from 2 pcs of .75" thick 3'x4' horse mat with emerald mat on top

Dave

How are the hitting mat and stance mat going to stay in place?

How are the hitting mat and stance mat going to stay in place?

The stance mat moves very little as the 2 stacked 3'x4' horse mats are HEAVY!

The hitting mat does move some. I've had a tape measure off to the side from the hitting mat to the Mevo the last few times and I put the ball where the tape measure is. The Mevo wants a consistent distance in the app, I'm using 6'0".

So far results are repeatable from setup to setup. I don't think the hitting mat moving is messing up the data measurements in any meaningful way. So far I've tracked 404 shots per the Flightscope web site so I think my setup is stable. If I was using a photo based unit I think the mat moving would likely be a problem.

First and foremost it is a working garage. It has to house 2 vehicles and I move the vehicles out when setting up to hit golf balls. I've got the setup down to about 5 minutes now which I think is reasonable. I hit a bunch of balls tonight getting a good work out in.

Dave

I got tired of mine moving so I put everything on a piece of plywood (stance and hitting) and drilled some anchor points into the floor. I attached a couple of bolts into the plywood base and I just pop the unit in and it doesn’t budge.

Here you go:

Dave

Nice! How far away from the wall is the Carl's screen? Do balls ever move the screen enough to hit the wall behind it?
Doe the sides fold up? How do you take it down/put it up?

Nice! How far away from the wall is the Carl's screen? Do balls ever move the screen enough to hit the wall behind it?
Doe the sides fold up? How do you take it down/put it up?

When stored the cage is against the wall. One of the vehicles parks partially between the left and right sides. I have drawer type handles fastened to the garage wall with anchors/screws. I run bungees from the handles to the vertical PVC farther away from the wall.

When using the cage I remove the bungees, slide the cage to spots marked on the floor, and then reattach the bungees with an extra short bungee. The bungees just protect against the cage falling if anything bad were to happen. Clearance from the screen to the wall is about 18" at the closest spot. There's no evidence of the ball getting close to the wall, but I do not swing fast. The cage is not parallel with the wall, there is a slight angle to give maximum clearance against garage door opener, etc... I setup and aim for the shoe laces hanging from the top net.

I don't have the PVC cemented. I could take it apart, but reassembly would be time consuming. Cementing would probably be an improvement, but if the pipe takes a direct hit it will break (hasn't happened yet). Currently, I'd rather have the flexibility of easy assembly.

I've had the cage setup maybe about a year. It would take a hellacious mishit from that close of range to hit one of the side pipes or miss the shank protection. A wedge could potentially hit the top pipe in the back. I've constantly learned better ways to do this and only recently invested in the Carl's impact screen and the Mevo.

Ceilings are about 9 feet. I am 5'10" and able to swing driver with clearance. I don't have an overly vertical swing.

Dav

Thanks for the details. I need to find a way to do this. First I need to find a way to heat the garage in the winter lol!

Thanks for the details. I need to find a way to do this. First I need to find a way to heat the garage in the winter lol!

I ran 220 to the garage and put in a heater. Works like a charm.

I've been considering this for a year now but unfortunately with a 2 car garage and the 8 foot ceilings in the unfinished basement, I haven't been able to find a reasonable way of going about getting this done. Very Jealous of you all!

Retractable screen. Moveable hitting area. It’s all possible. Just depends how much $ you want to spend.

Retractable screen. Moveable hitting area. It’s all possible. Just depends how much $ you want to spend.

Considering the off season in Utah make my garage too cold to hit in, I would definitely have to look at a basement setup.....That being said the idea that it just depends on how much I want to spend still applies.....Is it possible to remove joists without the floor above collapsing? HAHA!

Considering the off season in Utah make my garage too cold to hit in, I would definitely have to look at a basement setup.....That being said the idea that it just depends on how much I want to spend still applies.....Is it possible to remove joists without the floor above collapsing? HAHA!

That’s what a 220v 4500w heater is for. . I’m in BC Canada. #noexcuses

4606475546e07147ae5faaa43bb4faba.jpg

Last edited:
Back