recovering from putting

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure how to phrase the title so be it.
Anyway, we often talk of how we recover from the bad for the next shot. A bad hole, a bad round, bad drive, any bad shot, bad chips etc... we then say different things as a remedy for the bad round or different shots. A bad round we say put it behind you, A drive we might say forget the last one and swing easier. Maybe similar for irons. Or choke up a bit and swing easy till you get it back etc,,,or even to play clubs that you hit best till the swing comes back. For poor chipping we might say use a putting stroke and lower loft etc , ect.

We basically can change minor physical things a tad and simplify and make things easier on ourselves till we snap out of it and recover. That is all besides the mental approach too. But what remedy is there for putting poorly when its just not working. Obviously there is the mental remedy of forgetting the past but there is no real physical thing like we might do with the other parts of our game. You cant swing easier. Cant go 80%. cant play a favorite club, you cant do it any differently physically speaking. Aside from a mental approach what kind of change can be made when the putting isn't happening?? What do you do to help the cause?

I've never found a way. Basically my putting is pretty horrible all the time...

I generally work on a lot of 3-5 footers just to get my confidence back. I've also experimented with left hand low as well...I've never used that grip during a round but it seems to keep everything together and helps to get the feel of my stroke back.

Just had 4 3 putts in my round this morning.....I wish I new the answer, tomorrow I'm leaving my gamer home and grabbing a different flat stick, hello SeeMore DB4......

yea we can work on putting and practice off the course but its sort of the only part of the game that we cant adjust or change much if nothing physically in order to help bounce back form bad ones like we can do for the other parts. I guess its going to work that day or its not.

My last couple rounds consisted of a couple few more 3 putts than normal for me and also hardly any 1 putts also not normal so it got me thinking. If I'm not doing something else good that day there are things to do in order to help get them back to normal but that's not the case with putting. In my case it has been speed and not lines but either way when its not working thers not much you can do about it while still on the course.

recovering from putting

I read Unconscious Putting and for the most part it has revolutionized my game. I used to go right at the hole, which hurt me, a lot. Now I always play some break, giving me more space to work with. It has me putting more confidently. I still hover around 2 putts per hole, but if feel more confident and that starts with finding the break.

While there are some/most holes I will try for one putt, especially uphill putts ... if I have a tricky hole, I just tell myself to get the two putt and get out of there. That relieves some of the pressure off of me. I would rather leave it short on a tricky shot and then tap it in, them go for it, blow it by and risk a three putt having to come back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read Unconscious Putting and for the most part it has revolutionized my game. I used to go right at the hole, which hurt me, a lot. Now I always play some break, giving me more space to work with. It has me putting more confidently. I still hover around 2 putts per hole, but if feel more confident and that starts with finding the break.

While there are some/most holes I will try for one putt, especially uphill putts ... if I have a tricky hole, I just tell myself to get the two putt and get out of there. That relieves some of the pressure off of me. I would rather leave it short on a tricky shot and then tap it in, them go for it, blow it by and risk a three putt having to come back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes perhaps I should render myself unconscious lol (maybe with a 4iron) :beat-up: and then putt
Two things have caught me lately. Judging speed as said and which is something I usually don't struggle with much and the other thing is the shorter 3 to 5 footer. For some reason just couldn't hit them. (right then left all day). Its one thing to say speed struggles have bothered me with the longer ones because I know that will come back but 2 putting from that close? Was just not acceptable. A total brain fart with those last couple rounds:confused2:

I worked all last season with my PGA Pro on short game, pitching and putting and dropped a couple of stokes per round putting. This year, some of the bad has come back, so I'm back working with my Pro. I'd recommend not going it alone. Find a good, qualified PGA Professional in your area, and go to work. I would have never guessed it, but alignment is my number one issue. Distance control is good and I read putts well, but I do not always set up well. This is what we are working on now. Spend two hours with him today, and putted better, but still 3 putted one hole this evening from 7 feet. Not what I want going on.

I think we can reemphasize fundamentals. Physically that's often grip and ball position. Mentally that's often taking a little extra time to be able to commit to a specific line and speed.

You could go Michelle Wie on it, that would be a physical change.

Not sure how to phrase the title so be it.
Anyway, we often talk of how we recover from the bad for the next shot. A bad hole, a bad round, bad drive, any bad shot, bad chips etc... we then say different things as a remedy for the bad round or different shots. A bad round we say put it behind you, A drive we might say forget the last one and swing easier. Maybe similar for irons. Or choke up a bit and swing easy till you get it back etc,,,or even to play clubs that you hit best till the swing comes back. For poor chipping we might say use a putting stroke and lower loft etc , ect.

We basically can change minor physical things a tad and simplify and make things easier on ourselves till we snap out of it and recover. That is all besides the mental approach too. But what remedy is there for putting poorly when its just not working. Obviously there is the mental remedy of forgetting the past but there is no real physical thing like we might do with the other parts of our game. You cant swing easier. Cant go 80%. cant play a favorite club, you cant do it any differently physically speaking. Aside from a mental approach what kind of change can be made when the putting isn't happening?? What do you do to help the cause?
I'm notorious for blaming equipment. With putters you really have to find one that works for your tempo. I recently put the 400.00 scotty fastback away and swapped it out for my Wilson harmonized m3 and it has done wonders for lag and speed. Higher end putters don't always equate to less putts.

I'm notorious for blaming equipment. With putters you really have to find one that works for your tempo. I recently put the 400.00 scotty fastback away and swapped it out for my Wilson harmonized m3 and it has done wonders for lag and speed. Higher end putters don't always equate to less putts.

same putter for as long as I can remember. In fact without going to physically get it to look at it I couldn't even tell you what it is lol. I normally hold my own with my putting fairly well relatively speaking. Not great but not too shabby at all. It does hold a lot of the mental side of things imo. I am usually pretty relaxed and comfy putting. But sometimes this happens to go in the tank and when it does so does the mental comfort with it but then it just seems to come back. Trouble is when it does come back most probably something else will go in the tank but that's about normal LOL.

For me like tomorrow I'll be spending some time on the putting green doing 2 or 3 basic drills that help keep my putting stroke consisten. It helps with setup, alignment and stroke. I'm sure I'm probably doing that all wrong and I'll find that out next weekend in Tenessee but it does seem to help me.

During a round? Maybe grip the club in a different manner. Try a 'pop' stroke. Alter your stance. Close your eyes....

Between rounds, I just swap out the putter.

...Aside from a mental approach what kind of change can be made when the putting isn't happening?? What do you do to help the cause?

Putting is one of the best parts of my game, but on days when the ball just isn't dropping then the problem is almost always speed. My mid round fix: If my misses are long then I'll imagine a hole 3 inches closer and try to have the ball die into the imaginary hole. If my misses are short then I'll imagine a hole 3 inches farther away. That little mind game helps me maintain focus going forward and build confidence rather than dwell on previous putts and get loaded down with swing thoughts on fundamental technique.

Putting is one of the best parts of my game, but on days when the ball just isn't dropping then the problem is almost always speed. My mid round fix: If my misses are long then I'll imagine a hole 3 inches closer and try to have the ball die into the imaginary hole. If my misses are short then I'll imagine a hole 3 inches farther away. That little mind game helps me maintain focus going forward and build confidence rather than dwell on previous putts and get loaded down with swing thoughts on fundamental technique.

That's a pretty obvious suggestion that I never really thought of trying. Good tip

When I'm having a bad putting day I concentrate on 2 things A) focus on getting the ball close, 2 putts arnt great but 3 putts are the worst! B) committing to the putt, as Dr. Bob Rotella said "a putt hit on the wrong line with 100% conviction is always better that a putt on the right line hit with 50% conviction". Also as soon as I grab my putter I tell my self out-loud that I am a great putter and I'm gonna sink this putt. (obviously not loud enough for anyone but me to hear, don't want people thinking I'm crazy haha)

Lighter grip. Keep the arms out of it etc.....

putt much better on Bermuda vs bent grass greens. I'm sure many of you are in the same boat as it takes grain factor into consideration and it makes it easier for me to read. Much slower also.

I think I find myself getting too technical with putting then losing focus on distance control or line and hitting a really poor putt that leaves me with a difficult 2nd putt. Then the pressure is on and hitting another poor putt brings in possibilty if a 4 putt.

I've had a couple really good putting rounds this year and they've come when I trust my stroke and just focus on getting the ball to the hole. I think of it like throwing darts or cornhole. Hitting the board or say the third of the board you aim at is never a problem same with hitting the board in cornhole. Now those are always the same distance away, but hitting the ball into the 3 foot or so circle shouldn't be so hard.

When I focus on just getting the ball to the hole, I find myself in the 3 foot circle more often, more tap-ins and even more makes.

I can't stress enough how much Unconscious Putting changed my putting. Just a completely new mental approach to putting that has simplified things for me on the green and has me rolling the ball better than I ever have before.

Speed is always the most important thing in putting.....not enough and it will never go in and too much and it will race past the hole.

On days that I am struggling, I try to find a spot just past the cup and focus on putting to that....I would rather be 2 feet past than 2 feet short....at least if you are 2 feet past you gave it a chance to go in...plus if you watched it go by the hole then you know the line coming back.

I can't stress enough how much Unconscious Putting changed my putting. Just a completely new mental approach to putting that has simplified things for me on the green and has me rolling the ball better than I ever have before.
+100!

I read it over the winter and I really felt the simplification of the routine and mindset change set in about 6 weeks ago. Now I'm shocked if I miss anything from 6 feet in and I've already made more putts from 15-30 feet in the past month than I probably made all of last year. I know it's overused here on this forum but it's been a total game changer for me - I feel like I can make any putt from 40 feet or less. I've even had some playing partners comment on how many longer putts I'm making - sweet!

+100!

I read it over the winter and I really felt the simplification of the routine and mindset change set in about 6 weeks ago. Now I'm shocked if I miss anything from 6 feet in and I've already made more putts from 15-30 feet in the past month than I probably made all of last year. I know it's overused here on this forum but it's been a total game changer for me - I feel like I can make any putt from 40 feet or less. I've even had some playing partners comment on how many longer putts I'm making - sweet!

Yup - I owed it Clive75 (ATLGolfer) for getting me to buy the book. I loved watching him putt as he took so little time over the ball and was very consistent - he said he owed it to Unconscious Putting and now I am a believer in that!

I need to find the Youtube video I watched about putting mentality and how to "recover". In the video the instructor discussed people changing putters because their current gamer, "stopped working" and that it was really a short term solution, because eventually the same problems you had with the previous putter will creep back in. When you change putters things may feel better and you will see a short term improvement because it's a new sensation to your body and you're focused more on fundamentals.

My putting has been plaguing me lately, but I try not to get too down about it. I played a nine hole round a couple of weeks ago where I only had 11 putts. Most of them were inside of 3 feet as a result of chipping it close. The very next day, on the same course in a tournament I put up 19 putts on that side. As posted earlier by another, I found that ball position and tempo are my biggest culprits. But sometimes, it's just not your day and you have to grind it out. Even the pros struggle with putting from one day to the next. All I try to do is focus on putting a good stroke on the ball and not try so hard.

Back