Recovering Soldier Christmas Cards

Bear4ever

Payne Stewart, 10/25/99
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN ^v^v
I received an email this morning from a friend of mine, offering this idea. I really believe that it is truly a great idea and thought it should be shared with my THP golf community.
I hope that you share a small part of your joy with others this holiday season. It's better to give than receive!

ChristmasCardIdea.jpg

I had a teacher in school that used to do this with her classes every year. We would right a letter to a soldier along with sending them a christmas card.

We see this every year. But don't do it. It won't get delivered.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/support-the-troops.htm

Send a Letter to "A Recovering American Soldier" at Walter Reed Army Medical Center-Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
The brief email gives the address for the famous Walter Reed Army Medical Center and suggests that you include "A Recovering American Soldier" on your Christmas card list.

The Truth:
The Walter Reed Army Medical Center will not receive letters that are not addressed to a particular soldier by name.

In a statement, the facility said "Walter Reed cannot accept these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense."

The decision applies to packages, letters, Christmas cards, or any other mail not addressed to a soldier by name.

Additionally the U.S. Postal Service has stopped delivering any mail that is addressed to "A Recovering American Soldier" or "Any Wounded Soldier," which are the most common recommendations in the eRumors that circulate about sending messages to soldiers at Walter Reed.

Instead, Water Reed suggests making a donation to www.americasupportsyou.mil which is a site representing more than 300 organizations helping the troops in various ways.

Many thanks Smallville! I appreciate the effort, review, and feedback. Making a donation or just going and volunteering your time to give something back is probably more valued than a card anyway.

We see this every year. But don't do it. It won't get delivered.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/support-the-troops.htm

Send a Letter to "A Recovering American Soldier" at Walter Reed Army Medical Center-Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
The brief email gives the address for the famous Walter Reed Army Medical Center and suggests that you include "A Recovering American Soldier" on your Christmas card list.

The Truth:
The Walter Reed Army Medical Center will not receive letters that are not addressed to a particular soldier by name.

In a statement, the facility said "Walter Reed cannot accept these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense."

The decision applies to packages, letters, Christmas cards, or any other mail not addressed to a soldier by name.

Additionally the U.S. Postal Service has stopped delivering any mail that is addressed to "A Recovering American Soldier" or "Any Wounded Soldier," which are the most common recommendations in the eRumors that circulate about sending messages to soldiers at Walter Reed.

Instead, Water Reed suggests making a donation to www.americasupportsyou.mil which is a site representing more than 300 organizations helping the troops in various ways.

I volunteered at the USO in DFW Airport during my senior year. Made a buddy I still talk with to this day. I think giving back to these people who give us so much is a no-brainer.

Back