Recovery Time After Golf

Cruskater

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Played 4 in a row in the heat in Vegas. Came home and took a cold soak in the tub before showering. Thankfully in the heat nothing bothered me but usually I can lift 2 days before golf but not day before (I can run or hit golf balls but not lift) same with the day after. Generally try to schedule a recovery day after golf but I could play again hit some wedges, etc.

ddstanford

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a walker with a pull cart and play early, I need lunch and a nap to recuperate.

olperfesser

Golf Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
too high
Old guy, but in decent shape. Rest and a shower, Advil if any pain (rarely). Ready to go again the next day, but usually play only 3 times a week due to spousal obligations.

Gus R

Reaction score
Handicap
none
Unless I have been swinging very poorly I don't have any recovery problems. Even if I am a bit achy afterwards I am usually good to go later in the day. Worse case if I really tweaked anything I am usually good to go by the next morning.

DataDude

That's Just Like Your Opinion Man
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Too much of this..

If that's the case Team Hackers will need some icy hot for our shoulders at The Morgan Cup.

Otherwise I am generally good to go immediately. I am not a big hitter though so not much stress on my body.

mancest

El Capitan del Norte
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Normal round at my course, not too bad. What usually screws it up is if I start drinking beers at the turn and then stick around for a few more post round.

Playing 36 at bandon? took me a few days to feel right, particularly in my feet.

Working out regularly, a good warm up before I practice/play has helped me so dang much.

Bernoulli

Enjoy every sandwich
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Great question Dan regarding recovery time. Fortunately, I'm in decent enough shape that I am able to recover quickly from most rounds of golf. However, I do have back, knee and shoulder issues so I have to factor those in. Three days in a row for me is pushing it. I do better in the hot weather as opposed to the cold in that regard.

As far a recovery, ice and ibuprofen as needed and a good dose of the Theragun especially on my back, legs and shoulder. And I can't stress enough the importance of stretching and improving core strength.

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
6.0 (WHS)
Kind of an odd question... you mention codeine. Do you need a prescription for that? I know in the US codeine needs a prescription. just wondering.
Not an odd question at all

Yes, I do need a prescription for codeine but my doctor knows the problem I have so I can get a prescription quite quickly if necessary

Usually they will prescribe a couple weeks worth but I try to take as little as possible due to the side effects, so I will likely have some already in the house for emergency purposes

Last month was the first time in about 4 years that I have had to resort to the codeine for more than a day or so, so it is rare that I use it but it has been necessary at times

Gyro25

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I can feel it for a full day, but a muscle relaxer, lots of water, rest, and stretching + foam roller and stim help tremendously. Unfortunately a steaming hot shower in the summer is not ideal but if it helps too

pattyboy21

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It's all about my pinched sciatic nerve and bad back. Generally, I need at least a day to recover. Oddly though, I took trips to Phoenix in 2019 and 2019 where we played 4 days in a row, sometimes 36 holes in a day, and on the last day both times I played with zero pain somehow.

Stryker

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Typically I'm good to go and don't need much recovery but funny you post this as I just played about 32 holes last Friday and I'm not sure what I did but my right shoulder has been bothering me since. Getting old is a bummer.
I feel your pain. Literally.

azrsx

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
31 yo, 10 mins between rounds does me fine 😜.
agreed, unless it's in the summer with temps over 105+. then one round and a whole days rest the next day is needed. and it's not really me wanting to rest but my body saying you done messeddupp.

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
19+
If the temp is in the mid 70s, I'm good to go the next day. If it's in the upper 80s, it takes me an extra day. Don't even think about the upper 90s. I've been overcome by the heat before despite drinking plenty of fluids. I ride. The swing alone is hard enough on my knees. I can walk 9 but not 18.

tahoebum

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
My surgically repaired(ACL) right knee swells a little bit on days like today when I play 36 holes. I took a cart the second eighteen and I will be fully recovered for my 9 am round tomorrow morning. I'll ice my knee tonight for 15 minutes and usually hit the sore spots with the Theragun mini.

I don't play much in the heat anymore(today the high was 78) but when I lived in Sacramento the summer temperatures would sap my energy a bit more on the days when I played 36 or more holes.

Buckeyegolfnut

Reaction score
Handicap
About a 14
I'm 68, and it's been years since I've walked a round of golf. The knees are pretty well shot! I usually take an Aleve before the round, and sometimes take one after if I need it. I've found naproxen sodium works better for me than ibuprofen. and it depends on the course. There are a couple of newer, upscale daily fee courses here where it is cart path only anywhere near the greens, and the green complexes are huge! So I get my share of walking in. I'm usually fine the next day as well.

What no longer happens is more than 18 holes in a day, and more than 54 holes in a week! A couple years ago my buddy's Son had a week's vacation, and we golfed it up! Played 5 rounds in 6 days. I could hardly crawl out of bed the 7th!

Motopilot

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I feel I am in pretty good shape. A lot of times I’ll ride 20-30 miles before a round of golf in the early AM. Or be stuck mowing the lawn or doing yard work afterwards. The biggest thing to help my recovery has been the theragun for sure. Use it all the time.

donny475

You can call me SteakSauce
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I make sure and hydrate and eat before hand, take 800mg of ibuprofen. That with a couple of well placed Stamina Pro Patches, I am good to go afterwards and usually have things to do at the house like yard work. Gardening and such.

PatsFan

Jedi Knight
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I usually take something before heading to the course and then probably more at the turn.
I was bitten by a tick early this year and I was having quite a bit of pain in my wrists and hands. It is slowly fading.

If its hot a nice shower and nap if possible.

Deezballs

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Im in the Monday weds Friday golf thing now with a bucket on the range twice a week. Gym too. I find the more I do the more i can do And recovery is quicker. It’s layoff that kill me. Then it’s a slow build up back to something acceptable.

GenErr

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
We're usually home before noon, and I'm usually pretty tired, especially in hot weather. My recovery is lunch, and a nap sometime in the afternoon. I need a day between rounds due to arthritis.

HarlettoScara

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.7 WHS
I generally have a soak in a hot bath after a game just to try and relax the muscles a bit. I've got a bad back after a car accident a few years ago and I can get pretty sore and achy after playing or a long drive etc. Other than that, a bite to eat and I'm good to go again. But then again, I don't have to deal with the heat and humidity a lot of you guys do.

Nappy

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
PBR
If I play 18 I'm usually wiped for the rest of the day. Doesn't mean I nap or sit around, but I want to. I can usually play the next day, but I find I never play well. I really like to the use the mini before every round to try and get some of the kinks out, but it doesn't always work.

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Not an odd question at all

Yes, I do need a prescription for codeine but my doctor knows the problem I have so I can get a prescription quite quickly if necessary

Usually they will prescribe a couple weeks worth but I try to take as little as possible due to the side effects, so I will likely have some already in the house for emergency purposes

Last month was the first time in about 4 years that I have had to resort to the codeine for more than a day or so, so it is rare that I use it but it has been necessary at times
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't implying anything.

I've heard about the medications that require prescriptions in the US but not Canada or Mexico and lots of US residents going there to get stuff... I was curious about that over in the UK as well.

I remember when Tylenol 3 with codeine was available over the counter no script needed and cough syrup had it as well.

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
6.0 (WHS)
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't implying anything.

I've heard about the medications that require prescriptions in the US but not Canada or Mexico and lots of US residents going there to get stuff... I was curious about that over in the UK as well.

I remember when Tylenol 3 with codeine was available over the counter no script needed and cough syrup had it as well.
I didn't consider that you were implying anything, so all good here (y)

The last time that I mentioned in my previous post about having to use it for an extended period of time was after I had a bad flare-up to the point that I ended up in the Emergency department at a local hospital where they gave me a rather strong cocktail of drugs to ease the pain and relax the muscles - I could barely walk when I got there and Jen had to help me into the department, but after the cocktail of drugs I walked out under my own steam, but very light-headed and not 100% certain where I was 🥴 and I took them for a week or so along with having physiotherapy for recovery

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in