Recovery Time After Golf

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Kind of a weird question, but I'm curious as age and bad swing mechanics start to play a bigger role on my post round recovery.. When you play 18 holes of golf, how long does it take for your body to recover? Are you fresh right after? The following day? Two days after?

Do you do anything to aid in recovery?

I am not in very good shape and generally take a nap after golf (sometimes unintentional). Usually I’m a bit rundown the following day as well. I know this, yet I do nothing to assist in recovery.

I am not in very good shape and generally take a nap after golf (sometimes unintentional). Usually I’m a bit rundown the following day as well. I know this, yet I do nothing to assist in recovery.
the post round nap is a lifestyle choice hahaha

If a morning round, I take a nap afterwards for about 2 hr, get the Mini out for a massage, and I'm ok to function afterwards. Golf is fine the next day.

I get more fatigued during a 2 hr range session in the heat - that wipes me out but good the next day for golf

I haven't done 36 holes in years. Will need to work up to 27 and then 36 in summer heat. Have no idea how I will feel but would take Stamina Pro, Motrin, lots of sleep.

Typically I'm good to go and don't need much recovery but funny you post this as I just played about 32 holes last Friday and I'm not sure what I did but my right shoulder has been bothering me since. Getting old is a bummer.

I hit balls about 5 days a week now. I notice I'm usually good the next day without any pain or soreness, but find I sometimes need an additional 24 hours for my back to be 100%.

Depending on how many shots I take out of the rough, and if I walk or not, I might feel a little sore or fatigued the next day. I make sure to keep my protein intake up to help with recovery.

Typically I'm good to go and don't need much recovery but funny you post this as I just played about 32 holes last Friday and I'm not sure what I did but my right shoulder has been bothering me since. Getting old is a bummer.
Too much of this..

Its better since I started with the Theragun mini. I hit my legs and arms as well as my chest before the round. Then after the round, hit the legs and arms. Haven't had too many issues playing multiple days in a row anymore.

Ask me next week.....got 5 consecutive days of golf coming up so that will give me an idea of how bad it can be

Saturday - league round at my home club
Sunday - 3hr drive in the morning, then 18 holes in the afternoon
Monday - 18 holes in the morning
Tuesday - 1hr drive then 18 holes in the afternoon
Wednesday - 18 holes in the morning, then 2-3hr drive back home again

Prior to a round I will take a couple Ibuprofen to help with my back problem, or if it is bad I will sometimes resort to codeine as well
Following a round I always have a hot shower to help loosen my muscles, then lately I have taken to using a foam roller as well to work out any knots, but because we are staying at a couple different resorts next week I will be trying to go for a swim after each round if the pools are available to use and will have Deep Heat muscle cream to try and make sure my back stays relaxed as well

After golf, two Aleve and one day off, then I am good. I have had two bouts with Sciatica and both occurred after 3 straight days of golf, or some other physical activity like Mountain biking.

With all surgeries I've had and a surgery to replace a knee to come, it takes a lot longer to recover. Ibuprofen, ice and some theragun mini time help greatly, especially when I'm playing back to back days which is very rare.

After the Morgan Cup, the 81 holes of golf had me still feeling it a few days after I got home

Walking 18 in 95+ degrees, sunny, muggy, I will be very tired afterwards but usually feel ok the following morning. Those kind of rounds require all water, no alcohol, making sure I have sunscreen. I'm usually fine after a normal round with in a few hours.

No recovery time needed. As long as I don't exceed 4 days in a row, I have no issues. If I push it and go that 5th day, I definitely feel some fatique in my swing.

Kind of a weird question, but I'm curious as age and bad swing mechanics start to play a bigger role on my post round recovery..

Do you do anything to aid in recovery?

Dan, bad swing mechanics and your name should not be used in the same sentence, lol.

I don't really need any recovery time, no major soreness or anything. Unless I'm walking a pretty hilly course. Then my legs get a little sore.

No recovery for me after a round of golf. I used to feel it a bit when I used to go away every year with 20 odd members of my society and we played 81 holes in 5 days. A shed load of alcohol between rounds never helped. That used to take about a week to recover from LOL.

It depends on how I play. Am I grinding and frustrated? Am I walking? Did I play well? I played 18 yesterday and I feel pretty good.

Typically though. There is some advil involved.. haha.

Love the post-round nap!!

After the round my body feels fine, but my swing usually feels heavy and tired. I typically dont play ever on back-to-back days, moreso due to the time committment of a round and not my body, but I am unsure how I would play if I did.

The order changes a bit, but I tend to ibuprofen, cryo-sleeve, and go workout to help recover. I always feel like I need a nap after a real hot or brutally windy round, but that's not an actual option, so I tend to keep getting after the day. Usually back to work. Then cryo, lots of good food at night, and pray for decent sleep. 'Fresh' is kind of an abstract concept for me.

Dan, bad swing mechanics and your name should not be used in the same sentence, lol.

I don't really need any recovery time, no major soreness or anything. Unless I'm walking a pretty hilly course. Then my legs get a little sore.
You definitely should not go in the past parallel thread then hahaha

Keeping my back/legs/shoulders strong makes recovering from lightly physical activities like golf much easier. I just need food and sleep between 18s.

two years again, my hands would be fatigued by the 12th hole. And by back/ shoulders wouldn't let me play more than once a week. Now I could go out and play 36 in a day, maybe ever even on back to back days. But there clearly are limits on my enjoyment factor if i'm ODing on golf.

Thankfully I've built the golf stamina to truly enjoy the multi day golf bender.

31 yo, 10 mins between rounds does me fine 😜.

I looooove the post round nap.

This year I really pushed to be healthier and make it easier to recover after a round (specifically since I have had some back problems).
Combination of working out, yoga, chiropractor, theragun, and some staminapro patches; have me feeling pretty good after rounds lately.

Back