Red stake and cart path rules question

~QQ~

Reaction score
Handicap
So ball crossed into hazard along the cart path. Hazard is a creek with red stakes that runs the length of this section. Determined the point of crossing. From there we have about a foot of grass width, then a cart path about 5 feet wide, then rough the fairway.

From my understanding, I would take my stance so I'm not in the hazard and mark the spot from which the ball would be played from that stance (which would be on the cart path) and then from there I would get 2 club lengths from with I can drop, no closer to the hole. So I would be dropping in the rough near the fairway, correct?

Red stake drop options...
  1. Drop the ball within two clublengths of where the ball last crossed the margin (boundary) of the hazard, making sure the ball is no closer to the hole. This is typically the option most golfers take from a red-stake lateral water hazard, and it’s easy to perform so as to keep to round moving.
  2. Drop the ball within two clublengths on the opposite side of the hazard equidistant from where the ball last crossed the margin (boundary) of the hazard, making sure the ball is no closer to the hole. This is an uncommon choice for relief from a lateral water hazard, but sometimes it makes sense when the other side of a lateral water hazard offers a better shot or angle to get to the green than the original point of entry in a red-stake hazard.
So If I understand it right, you would drop within 2 club lengths from where it crossed the hazard line. Maybe you would be dropping right on the cart path and if the ball stays on the path or your feet would be on it, then you would get relief from the path and drop accordingly?

1. Drop the ball within two clublengths of where the ball last crossed the margin (boundary) of the hazard, making sure the ball is no closer to the hole. This is typically the option most golfers take from a red-stake lateral water hazard, and it’s easy to perform so as to keep to round moving.
  2. Drop the ball within two clublengths on the opposite side of the hazard equidistant from where the ball last crossed the margin (boundary) of the hazard, making sure the ball is no closer to the hole. This is an uncommon choice for relief from a lateral water hazard, but sometimes it makes sense when the other side of a lateral water hazard offers a better shot or angle to get to the green than the original point of entry in a red-stake hazard.
So If I understand it right, you would drop within 2 club lengths from where it crossed the hazard line. Maybe you would be dropping right on the cart path and if the ball stays on the path or your feet would be on it, then you would get relief from the path and drop accordingly?
That sounds right. You’d take your drop from the penalty on the grass area, but then since your standing on the path you get free relief two clubs lengths off that.

You’re correct. You handle the drops one at a time - take relief from the hazard, then if that relief then entitles you to relief from the cart path, you would take that relief next.

With that said, in a casual (non-competition) round on a busy course, there’s no way I’m screwing around with all of that. If I know it’s going to be a compound relief scenario, I’m taking my drop over in the rough where I know it would eventually end up. Just like I won’t drop twice before placing the ball on a lie where I know the ball isn’t going to stay put. Place that sucker and let’s keep things moving.

After 2019 rule change one doesn't have the option to drop the ball on the opposite side of the lateral water hazard anymore (unless there is a local rule allowing it.)

yes - and to clarify a bit more - if the ball rolls closer to the hole when dropped on the cart path or rolls outside the semi - circle -- then you would place a marker or tee where the ball hit the cart path first. then take appropriate cart path relief. note: when taking free relief including cart paths and sprinkler heads or casual water type free relief.. it is always one club length after taking your stance. If there is a penalty drop as in red staked or unplayable lies - it is always 2 club lengths. Yellow marked penalty areas the 2 club length drop is not allowed.:eek:

Back