yes!!!! how was it? i love that wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Phenomenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phenomenal

boom! glad it showed well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My hotel gave me this bottle as a welcome gift. I was thoroughly impressed.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

Just opened up a bottle a few days ago and thought it was excellent considering the price. Kroger had it on special for $12.50 a bottle and I got 2 bottles but should have purchased more but I never tasted the wine before so I didn't know.

In Mexico, there are a couple of decent reds that I can drink regularly for 100-120 Pesos ($5 - $6 USD or a touch more now that the dollar is a little weaker). In the States, I do like the California Red by Menage a Trois and the Pinot Noir by Coppola. But wine heaven for me was in Spain and Croatia. The Riojas at the grocery store were about 3-4 Euros, and only 10-12 at restaurants. In Croatia, we really loved the Matuško Dingač, but you couldn't go wrong with any Plavac.

Franciscan Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
Really solid for $20
f5dccc52d8b2f9e5d4dcbfe3a2264667.jpg

The local Meat (store they have specialty groceries & catering too) has a great wine section & every Saturday they have wine tasting: 50 cents a glass or thereabouts. But at the end of the year they have the wine writer from the Akron Beacon Journal give his picks of the year & they do a fancier tasting. So for $8 each my wife & I got to try 7 wines that (coincidentally?) went up in price from $14 up to $165/bottle. The first 3 were whites so I won't bother discussing them here.

#4) 2008 Eagle Eye Infatuation Red Wine (blend). It was fine

#5) 2015 Canvasback Cabernet Sauvignon $35: I really liked this one

#6) 2016 Hess Collection Lion Tamer $40
My favorite of the whole tasting. Another red blend (that seemed to be the theme here).
NV_Hess-Lion-Tamer_weblower.png

#7) 2015 Skipstone Faultline Red $165
2015-Faultline-Vineyard-285x1024.png

I guess I expected this one to blow me away for that price. All I can say is I don't think it was 4 times better than the Lion Tamer.

So my takeaway lesson for me is:

1) The bad news: I still haven't developed any real appreciation for the subtleties of different wines. (Still more of a beer guy, I guess)

2) The good news: I don't have to feel like I'm missing out not drinking expensive wine (well, at least up to $40/bottle lol!)

So this thread is still perfect for me haha!

And I bought my wife a copy of the book "The Reverse Wine Snob". Hopefully we'll both learn some more.

Last edited:
These were served last week - not sure of the prices, but they were great. I find that I like Malbecs more than other types (as a general category). And they prices of the Argentinian malbecs are pretty good.
7gXGHk8h.jpg
[/IMG]
TGUNpjTh.jpg
[/IMG]

Pretty decent bottle of merlot....
87d05790fb0e4a14a56a77ab2ef3ab8d.jpg

Pretty decent bottle of merlot....
87d05790fb0e4a14a56a77ab2ef3ab8d.jpg

They make some excellent wines. I’ve never tried the Merlot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if there’s a better thread to post this in, but here goes:

My wife and I are planning a week in wine country (Sonoma county or nearby). Neither of us has been there before. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what to see, do, where to eat, etc.? Any hidden gems?

My wife and I are planning a week in wine country (Sonoma county or nearby). Neither of us has been there before. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what to see, do, where to eat, etc.? Any hidden gems?

never been to sonoma, but been to napa twice. if you want any deets on napa, i can give you a little feedback.

never been to sonoma, but been to napa twice. if you want any deets on napa, i can give you a little feedback.

I think Napa is in play too. Just in the exploratory phase right now, so suggest away!

I think Napa is in play too. Just in the exploratory phase right now, so suggest away!

first time we went, we stayed in calistoga. it's on the north end of napa, and we stayed just off highway 29 which is the main stretch. it was a beautiful b&b, but the drive down to the main areas was a little longer than we liked.

the next time we stayed in the silverado resort, off the silverado trail. much less busy, but even longer of a drive.

i highly recommend appointments. if you've been going to local wine shops, ask them if they have any relationships in napa and can help you set up appointments. most of the places i went to were because i was on the mailing list, or someone i know got us an appointment.

for dining, we had great experiences at jo le, bistro jeanty and the rutherford grill. i didn't care for redd, and cole's chophouse is just any ol' steakhouse. you have to stop by taylor's refresher (i think it's now gott's roadside) for a burger and a shake.

there are some places that have spectacular views while you sample wine. viader comes to mind.

if you have any other questions, let me know! there are locals on thp who can probably give you more "insider" info than i can, though.

They are very close so no reason they both can't be in play. If you like beer at all you have to visit the Russian River brewery. Francis Ford Coppola has a winery in Geyserville but the more high end Inglenook winery he owns and lives on is in Rutherford. I'm personally more familiar with the Napa area and can recommend several places there but we did also visit Seghesio Vineyard in Healdsburg.

I've been going to Napa and north since the 80's. But wineries have changed hands so many times, many of my favorites were purchased by mega-businees or mega-wineries.

Because of the crowds, I usually skip Napa and Sonoma, and go straight towards the smaller areas north and west of Sonoma - past Sebastapol to the Green Valley - to Ironhorse Vineyards - Sparklers, and then towards the Russian River Valley to Hartford, Martinelli and then north of the Russian River to Pinot Noir and Zinfandels, and always stopping near Healdsburg and Dry Creek Valley to lesser known wineries.

Then if you get adventurous and really want to get away, get on Highway 128 (several famous names and sparklers towards Mendocino to the Coast, rolling past the redwoods on the way there - to the Albion River Inn - romantic and fun. Mendocino is a different place.

Do that once you get past Napa Valley.

But Sonoma is what you want Napa to be --- the city, a large park and townsquare -- walk, shop, eat - small Italian restaurants to the east of main street off the townsquare. Wineries surround the area. It would take a while to rekindle memories and let you know more as I spend most of my time at the Russian River, Dry Creek Valley and Healdsburg when I visit. But Sonoma (the plaza) and Healdsburg are favorite places. Healdsburg became too upscale lately, I was there in the late '90's when it was a pool hall and the homeless lived in the park and we stayed at a B&B at the north end of town-- now it's $250-300 per night stays and very gentrified. But Sonoma has kept its small townish atmosphere.

Wow what a thread. Some day will browse it fully. But for me:

1)Carmenere from Chile by far my favourite. Yet to have a bad one, even cheap. However, also the only type of wine I’ve had where more expensive is noticeably better (keep in mind I’ve never spend over $40 on a bottle of any wine).
2) sorry to all my American pals, but never had a California wine I’ve liked. Tried. Multiple areas, multiple types. Multiple prices. Dry, fruity. Doesn’t matter.
3) Malbecs yuck.
4) VQA Cab Savs and Merlots all excellent. Pellar Estates my favourite.

Cracking this open tonight:

LaPosta Tinto Res Blend
7b58367a68fd3cdddc565e59abc892d7.jpg
0738cf9f188bede11239bc1266d8edb2.jpg
02388a0467685fb16a6fcdc6a2756491.jpg

1)Carmenere from Chile by far my favourite. Yet to have a bad one, even cheap. However, also the only type of wine I’ve had where more expensive is noticeably better (keep in mind I’ve never spend over $40 on a bottle of any wine).
2) sorry to all my American pals, but never had a California wine I’ve liked. Tried. Multiple areas, multiple types. Multiple prices. Dry, fruity. Doesn’t matter.
3) Malbecs yuck.

I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the reds I've had from Ontario. Those that come from the northern shore of Lake Erie had been pretty solid in my experience. I's like to go visit Wayne Gretzky's winery next time I'm near Buffalo.

I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the reds I've had from Ontario. Those that come from the northern shore of Lake Erie had been pretty solid in my experience. I's like to go visit Wayne Gretzky's winery next time I'm near Buffalo.

Some of the winery tours around are really nice. Most even include ice wines in the tastings. Not sure how much involvement 99 actually has. Usually those things are just label sponsorships/buyins. I know the Mike Weir one went under recently and still owe mike almost 3 million.

Some of the winery tours around are really nice. Most even include ice wines in the tastings. Not sure how much involvement 99 actually has. Usually those things are just label sponsorships/buyins. I know the Mike Weir one went under recently and still owe mike almost 3 million.
I know the visitor center is a new facility that wasn't open last time I was in Canada. I did buy a bottle of Wayne's whiskey that they also make there apparently. I wouldn't put it high on my whiskey list. It looks like a pretty cool place to visit though.

I've been going to Napa and north since the 80's. But wineries have changed hands so many times, many of my favorites were purchased by mega-businees or mega-wineries.

Because of the crowds, I usually skip Napa and Sonoma, and go straight towards the smaller areas north and west of Sonoma - past Sebastapol to the Green Valley - to Ironhorse Vineyards - Sparklers, and then towards the Russian River Valley to Hartford, Martinelli and then north of the Russian River to Pinot Noir and Zinfandels, and always stopping near Healdsburg and Dry Creek Valley to lesser known wineries.

Then if you get adventurous and really want to get away, get on Highway 128 (several famous names and sparklers towards Mendocino to the Coast, rolling past the redwoods on the way there - to the Albion River Inn - romantic and fun. Mendocino is a different place.

Do that once you get past Napa Valley.

But Sonoma is what you want Napa to be --- the city, a large park and townsquare -- walk, shop, eat - small Italian restaurants to the east of main street off the townsquare. Wineries surround the area. It would take a while to rekindle memories and let you know more as I spend most of my time at the Russian River, Dry Creek Valley and Healdsburg when I visit. But Sonoma (the plaza) and Healdsburg are favorite places. Healdsburg became too upscale lately, I was there in the late '90's when it was a pool hall and the homeless lived in the park and we stayed at a B&B at the north end of town-- now it's $250-300 per night stays and very gentrified. But Sonoma has kept its small townish atmosphere.

Appreciate the input Jerry & Chris. I did suggest the Russian River area to Laura. Lots of ideas - I guess we'll have to do some repeat trips.

You haven't drunk enough ... or from enough areas in CA.

3) Malbecs yuck.

I was ok with you having your own opinions until #3. Haha

If I’m drinking wine, it’s 90% of the time a malbec.

Back