The Red Wine Thread

I’m a huge Turley fan. I’ve never had their cab and got an allocation last week but it was sold out by the time I clicked to buy. I’m still sitting on a mixed case of their zins, so I’m happy for now. Will reload this spring.

I love their Zin.

8304B698-D246-42A8-8D14-046794CCD40E.jpeg
Giving this a go tonight and really enjoying it.

That is actually the last glass of wine I had. Same year, same bottle. Fantastic.

My first time trying this one and I find it very good.

Pairs well while watching Disney+ with my 3 year old!

So, what wine are you supposed to serve with a turkey dinner? Just curious what the wine drinkers here will have on Thursday

So, what wine are you supposed to serve with a turkey dinner? Just curious what the wine drinkers here will have on Thursday

the wine magazines will usually tell you something like riesling works really well. or champagne.

personally, i’ll go with a fuller bodied white and either malbec or spanish grenache. i’m of the opinion that there are few pairings that flat out don’t work; if you like the food and like the wine, chances are you’ll like the pairing.

the wine magazines will usually tell you something like riesling works really well. or champagne.

personally, i’ll go with a fuller bodied white and either malbec or spanish grenache. i’m of the opinion that there are few pairings that flat out don’t work; if you like the food and like the wine, chances are you’ll like the pairing.

Thanks Chris.
Well, I've always been of the opinion that if it tastes good, I'm gonna drink it with whatever I'm having. But I realize that there's a whole new level of wine appreciation when it comes to pairing with food. I'm not ready for that level of ...commitment?...fanaticism?...yet.

My wife read somewhere that Beaujoulais is what you serve with turkey. Malbec sounds good to me too.

We tend to drink what we like. I know there are guidelines to what you should drink with different foods but we tend to stay in the red wine family. Maybe a little lighter with some foods but we stay in the red family.

Thanks Chris.
Well, I've always been of the opinion that if it tastes good, I'm gonna drink it with whatever I'm having. But I realize that there's a whole new level of wine appreciation when it comes to pairing with food. I'm not ready for that level of ...commitment?...fanaticism?...yet.

My wife read somewhere that Beaujoulais is what you serve with turkey. Malbec sounds good to me too.

i’ve had some beaujolais that i enjoyed. but i don’t have enough love for it to serve it on a holiday. would much rather put something i love on the table. alto moncayo garnacha is one of my favorites.

I scheduled nd this Malbec.....I’m a also a huge Pinot Noir guy with Turkey on Thanksgiving. The fruitier the better IMO

adc7e8e4fce08a6bbb8d59576f9a0db2.jpg

Happy thanksgiving all! Cheers!

Happy 2020 to all the red wine drinking THPers!

Tried this Zinfandel last month & really liked it. According to the guy who runs my little wine shop, Carol Shelton is one of the best in the world.View attachment 8921065
wild thing A.JPG

Last edited:
It should be good now. Sorry - not sure what happened.

I got a chance to try this 1999 Sangiovese at a wine tasting today:
Siro Pacenti Vendemmia 1999 Brunello de Montelcino 1.JPGSiro Pacenti Vendemmia 1999 Brunello de Montelcino 2.JPGSiro Pacenti Vendemmia 1999 Brunello de Montelcino 3.JPG

The guy who brought it said it was a gift from way back. It had an amazing nose. I could've smelled it all day. The other people who tried it said it was probably a little past its peak; the finish was a tad weak (according to them). I thought it was really good. He said the Brunello was expensive wine

When I got home I looked up some info. Actually, it's the DOCG designation that made this wine expensive:

According to Wikipedia:

Denominazione di origine controllata e garantita (DOCG) is intended to be a superior classification to DOC, and is the highest classification in Italy.

Brunello di Montalcino is a red DOCG Italian wine produced in the vineyards surrounding the town of Montalcino, in the province of Siena, located about 80 km south of Florence in the Tuscany wine region. They are 100% sangioevese grapes.
In 1980, Brunello di Montalcino was among the four wines awarded the first Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG) designation. Today it is one of Italy's best-known and most expensive wines

This guy has (by his estimation) 500-800 old wines, and he's getting old & I think he realizes "I might not live to drink all of these" so he keeps bringing them in every Saturday to try (for free!) & shares them around. Pretty cool!

I will say that I really like the Sangiovese wines I've tried.

I'm a B or B kinda guy. Barolo or Brunello.

the only italian wines that have ever grabbed my attention are saffredi and ornellaia, both IGTs. basically bordeaux blends that might have some sangiovese in them but don’t follow any other rules. nebbiolo, sangiovese, they don’t do much for me.

Today's wine tasting was cab francs.
The favorite of the 5 you can buy right now was the 2015 El Enemigo:
El Enemigo 1.JPGEl Enemigo 2.JPG
I was a fan of most of the cab francs I tried today.
Almost as good was the Marc Bredif Chinon (I was told any French wine with "Chinon" in the name is a cab franc)Marc Bredif Chinon Jan 18-2020.jpg

And Dan the man brought an older Cab Franc from the Lodi region that was the best of them all: I don't think you can find this anymore.
Upstream cab franc 2013 3.JPGUpstream cab franc 2013 2.JPG

Attachments

• 1579400125518.png
    1579400125518.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 3
Forgot to add that maybe the best value was the 2018 Ironstone Cab Franc for $12 - very nice!
ironstone cab franc.jpg

Attachments

• Ironstone-Cabernet-Sauvignon-750-ml_1.png
    Ironstone-Cabernet-Sauvignon-750-ml_1.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So my wife seems to like cabernet sauvignon more than any other red. Of the reasonably priced ($40 and under) cabs we have tried she liked the Paul Dolan the best.

What cabs do you recommend we try in this price range?

So my wife seems to like cabernet sauvignon more than any other red. Of the reasonably priced ($40 and under) cabs we have tried she liked the Paul Dolan the best.

What cabs do you recommend we try in this price range?

look to washington, australia and chile. much better qpr cab than california.

Thanks. Anything specific?

Thanks. Anything specific?

I attended a Bordeaux tasting several months by the younger generation of well known producers - priced from $20-$40. Need to find that list, but Chateau Gloria, a cab-based blend, was one of the wines, as was Chateau Croix Cardinale, a merlot based wine with 1/4 cabernet franc - bought that one - it was excellent for the price.

I attended a Bordeaux tasting several months by the younger generation of well known producers - priced from $20-$40. Need to find that list, but Chateau Gloria, a cab-based blend, was one of the wines, as was Chateau Croix Cardinale, a merlot based wine with 1/4 cabernet franc - bought that one - it was excellent for the price.

Thanks. I’d love to see that list:love:

Back