The Red Wine Thread

Not very expensive but it’s always one of my faves. Just a really solid $14 bottle of red.
95b3629c453942f5e7aede09e2a488f2.jpg

Not very expensive but it’s always one of my faves. Just a really solid $14 bottle of red.
95b3629c453942f5e7aede09e2a488f2.jpg

We went to their sampling room/restaurant last year. A very cool place if you’re a movie buff, it’s like a mini museum. And their whole Director’s Cut lineup was good.

I actually saw this at the store today & almost put it in the cart. I’ll have to try it

We had some bottles of wine less than 50 tonight which I will put up against any you can find for more expensive. Some were my wines which in Italy cost 14 euros and others were purchased from wine library.com. Either way, the less you spend for quality wines like these, the more you have to spend for quality drivers, putters, wedges and balls which last much longer than a glass or 2.

We had some bottles of wine less than 50 tonight which I will put up against any you can find for more expensive. Some were my wines which in Italy cost 14 euros and others were purchased from wine library.com. Either way, the less you spend for quality wines like these, the more you have to spend for quality drivers, putters, wedges and balls which last much longer than a glass or 2.

What wines were they?

i really struggle with italian wines. but i have a new world palate. i have enjoyed saffredi, but that’s about it.

valentine’s day splurge last night: 2015 quintessa. wow, was fantastic.

Hmmm. Hope everyone had a good time last night sharing wines with their SO.

After years of wine clubs, I am a member of one boutique winery. Bedrock.

One of the founders made wine at a very young age - he is the son of the founder of Ravenswood in CA - one of the original 4 R's of California Zinfandel. He sold Ravenswood long ago. His son started buying grapes and vineyards from old California growth from the Italians who started making wines over 100 yrs ago. At that time, the Italians would grow more than one varietal in a vineyard to blend them together. Unusual wines that are well regarded. Can't buy them in a store - usually - get on mailing iist if interested - took me about 6 months to get on allocation list. Zin Blends, Zin, Syrah, Cab, Farmhouse Blend of Cab, Riesling, Gewurtz, the occasional summer Rose'. They are less expensive on the allocation list than at a store - if you could find them. I bought an allocation of their best Cab - $50/bottle. Looked for it on online wine stores - $200/bottle. Need to open one of those Cabs. lol.

I am trying to get on an allocation list from one of McLoving's/Chris's wineries. Been waiting more than a year - lol.

Hmmm. Hope everyone had a good time last night sharing wines with their SO.

After years of wine clubs, I am a member of one boutique winery. Bedrock.

One of the founders made wine at a very young age - he is the son of the founder of Ravenswood in CA - one of the original 4 R's of California Zinfandel. He sold Ravenswood long ago. His son started buying grapes and vineyards from old California growth from the Italians who started making wines over 100 yrs ago. At that time, the Italians would grow more than one varietal in a vineyard to blend them together. Unusual wines that are well regarded. Can't buy them in a store - usually - get on mailing iist if interested - took me about 6 months to get on allocation list. Zin Blends, Zin, Syrah, Cab, Farmhouse Blend of Cab, Riesling, Gewurtz, the occasional summer Rose'. They are less expensive on the allocation list than at a store - if you could find them. I bought an allocation of their best Cab - $50/bottle. Looked for it on online wine stores - $200/bottle. Need to open one of those Cabs. lol.

I am trying to get on an allocation list from one of McLoving's/Chris's wineries. Been waiting more than a year - lol.

bedrock is awesome!!! some really good value for what’s in the bottle.

which list are you trying to get on? i’m only on sans liege and cayuse right now. and i’m still on the wait list for sine qua non. i’ve dropped all my others.

bedrock is awesome!!! some really good value for what’s in the bottle.

which list are you trying to get on? i’m only on sans liege and cayuse right now. and i’m still on the wait list for sine qua non. i’ve dropped all my others.

Cayuse.

They send me an email every 6 months letting me know I can wait some more... lol

What wines were they?
If you are in Italy, try 2015 Thalia, 10 euros, a blend of Cab. S., Syrah and Montepulciano (not available in the US but you can order it from the winery- PS Winery/Terra Argillosa. We also had a Gevry Chambertin I found at Costco for around 50 as a splurge. Wine is so subjective, hard to know what others will like, but I am not a fan of New World styled wines which are oft times manipulated by the winemaker to make something safe and pleasant. Most European wines that aren't mass produced are more "natural", less likely to give you bad side effects ;)

My in laws sold their house last summer so I helped them move which included their 600 plus wine collection. They gave me some wine for helping. The best were from a Walla Walla winery that brings in wine makers every year to make their label.
Longshadows.com

These are 2 of the best and my FIL gave me 3 each of these.
8575a662ef31ea432cf68bfe34424ebb.jpg
bd6aef498fdff9fd879ee00a502bf10b.jpg

Cayuse.

They send me an email every 6 months letting me know I can wait some more... lol

i’ll pm you the next time i get my allocation and can dream list some extra. happy to spread the wealth til you get called to the batters box haha

My in laws sold their house last summer so I helped them move which included their 600 plus wine collection. They gave me some wine for helping. The best were from a Walla Walla winery that brings in wine makers every year to make their label.
Longshadows.com

These are 2 of the best and my FIL gave me 3 each of these.
8575a662ef31ea432cf68bfe34424ebb.jpg
bd6aef498fdff9fd879ee00a502bf10b.jpg

long shadows is a lot of fun! cool collaboration among some solid winemakers.

walla walla wines are so freaking good. some great values there.

In the local paper they had an article asking Cleveland pro athletes what wine they liked.

Ironically, Browns safety Sheldrick Redwine doesn’t drink wine.

a sad waste of one of the cooler names in pro sports

One would think that a Browns player would be well versed in alcohol.:ROFLMAO: I'm saying this as a Panthers fan.?

At 143 MX Pesos ($7.50 USD), this was our go-to wine when we lived in Los Cabos. Now that we're back in the States, I'm sure missing it!
puerta-vieja-crianza.jpg

I had 2 recently in the $14 range that exceeded expectations so I want to share.

D0F2ECAD-03A2-494A-B04F-B3FB19AF8BD3.jpeg

D79332BF-FB80-4534-B2F6-4A187E3799DC.jpeg

At 143 MX Pesos ($7.50 USD), this was our go-to wine when we lived in Los Cabos. Now that we're back in the States, I'm sure missing it!
View attachment 8929267
I was looking up that wine and saw it on decantolo.com for $6.78 a bottle. Not sure about shipping cost if you want to check it out.

I was looking up that wine and saw it on decantolo.com for $6.78 a bottle. Not sure about shipping cost if you want to check it out.
Awesome - will do that, thanks!

Finally made it back to a wine tasting today. two wines stood out:
IMG_2688.JPG
IMG_2689.JPG
And this Italian wine:
IMG_2686.JPG
IMG_2687.JPG

Last edited:
Went out to dinner with my wife at Ben Curtis' Treno Ristorante in Kent OH. The food was fantastic! Veal, wild mushrooms, asparagus, goat cheese ravioli were awesome. And probably the best Tiramisu I've ever had. Huge portions for the price.
And some cool memorabilia:
View attachment 8930039
View attachment 8930040
How effing cool would it be to see your name at the top of this board on a Sunday evening in July?
And his wine was decent too!
IMG_2691.JPGIMG_2694.JPG

Trying this tonight with some Italian...

69e8a1ea3478314ccb875f845be3c7d7.jpg

Crap, should have looked closer. Thought this thread was about Red Vines.

Finally made it back to a wine tasting today. two wines stood out:
View attachment 8930032
View attachment 8930033

I had a glass of petite sirah last night! it's a fun grape, albeit super dense and teeth-staining. more of a cocktail than a food wine, usually. for a mass produced wine, I really enjoy Michael David's Petite Petit, a blend of petite sirah and petite Verdot.

I like most of the Michael David wines we’ve tried

Back