The Red Wine Thread

I like most of the Michael David wines we’ve tried

i'm not a big fan of most of his stuff, unfortunately. overwrought and flabby. the transformers movie series in wine form. but petit petite has some good character.

Saw this in the paper today:

"Actually, it's only quarantine if it comes from the Quarantine region of France. Otherwise, it's just sparkling isolation."

Tonight’s Merlot for social distancing....

0F545040-826B-40D9-85A1-415819A5E7A6.jpeg

Had a couple Pinot noirs for Easter meal:
8B15957C-C346-4DDF-A44C-551BE0A0C7C5.jpeg57734A6E-3AD5-4FCA-82AF-AA173FB941DF.jpeg

The Beringer is super cheap at $8. I prefer the Willamette Valley ($20 and lot fruitier) but I thought both were good for the price

IMG_20200412_183345.jpg

Last edited:
Boy am I glad I found this thread! The grouchy old man wants to start an argument tonight. Where better way to do it than on this thread. Wine people LOVE to argue.

IMNHO, (not humble in this case), the Walla Walla valley in Washington's Columbia River region will be known as producing the finest syrah in the world within 10 years. To many wine lovers, including this one, it already does. There is something special about syrah grapes grown in this little valley. The wines are nothing like the burly Shiraz imposed on the world by the Aussies, or the weak-ass'ed stuff from the lower Rhone valley. These wines change in the glass as you drink them.

My favorite Walla Walla syrah changes with every bottle. Right now I really like Amavi's 2016, though I'm trying to leave some laying down for another five years. Not easy. I'm diligently trying to work my way through all the syrahs made in the valley, but my liver may not make it. Any transplant donors out there?

Well, I'm currently waiting out a tornado with a Bota Box of cabernet.

Boy am I glad I found this thread! The grouchy old man wants to start an argument tonight. Where better way to do it than on this thread. Wine people LOVE to argue.

IMNHO, (not humble in this case), the Walla Walla valley in Washington's Columbia River region will be known as producing the finest syrah in the world within 10 years. To many wine lovers, including this one, it already does. There is something special about syrah grapes grown in this little valley. The wines are nothing like the burly Shiraz imposed on the world by the Aussies, or the weak-ass'ed stuff from the lower Rhone valley. These wines change in the glass as you drink them.

My favorite Walla Walla syrah changes with every bottle. Right now I really like Amavi's 2016, though I'm trying to leave some laying down for another five years. Not easy. I'm diligently trying to work my way through all the syrahs made in the valley, but my liver may not make it. Any transplant donors out there?

washington makes amazing wines. merlot, syrah, grenache, chardonnay. i think they fall a bit short with cab sauv.

some of my favs are reynvaan, cayuse, rasa, maison bleue, sleight of hand, charles smith/k vintners, and quilceda creek. i think their qpr is unrivaled in the states, with paso robles/central coast a close second.

I put the Amavi back in the cellar (I.e., second bedroom closet) this evening and grabbed a 2017 Ex Umbris (Latin for "out of the shadows") syrah by Owen Roe, one of the emerging stars in Washington/Oregon. It was outstanding with the lamb roast for dinner. Hey McLovin, those are some of my favorite labels too. If you are drinking Quilceda Creek you have found one of the true gems of American wine. We keep a few bottles in the bottom boxes, far from my wife's eyes, waiting for some occasion that measures up to them. At some point we better drink them before my wake becomes the special occasion.

Glad I found this thread. I enjoy red wine with the wife and family over dinners. Cabernet Sauvignon is the go to choice, and I have been building a decent little collection.

Tonight we tried the Trader Joe’s - Velvet Moon.
At sub $10, didn’t have high expectations.
While it certainly wasn’t of the caliber of say, a personal favorite, Prisoner; this was still a good wine over dinner. Bold with fruit flavors but not sweet. I’d drink it again.

Glad I found this thread. I enjoy red wine with the wife and family over dinners. Cabernet Sauvignon is the go to choice, and I have been building a decent little collection.

Tonight we tried the Trader Joe’s - Velvet Moon.
At sub $10, didn’t have high expectations.
While it certainly wasn’t of the caliber of say, a personal favorite, Prisoner; this was still a good wine over dinner. Bold with fruit flavors but not sweet. I’d drink it again.

I like having low-cost options!

1EA1C779-6277-4A5C-853E-451868684976.jpegProbably cheap garbage, but I’m enjoying it

Don't give up on the French Syrahs from the Rhone Valley; they will be way different than new world Syrahs

Tonight it is a Yellow Tail Merlot. Inexpensive, and tastes fine to my barbaric palette. I have good (really fuzzy) memories of Prisoner.

Don't give up on the French Syrahs from the Rhone Valley; they will be way different than new world Syrahs

i find most rhone wines to lack enough fruit. but i do enjoy some cdp. vieux telegraphe, beaucastel, and pegau are often enjoyable.

We've been buying 3 Freakshow Cab's @ $16.99 and 3 Josh Cab's @ $10.99 (10% off that when buying 6 bottles) at our local grocery store. That's pretty good every day wine drinking in our book!

We've been buying 3 Freakshow Cab's @ $16.99 and 3 Josh Cab's @ $10.99 (10% off that when buying 6 bottles) at our local grocery store. That's pretty good every day wine drinking in our book!

I think you have Total Wine in Texas. I found an impressive Washington producer there recently. Crossfork Creek. we had their merlot last week and I was pretty impressed for $20. we have the cab to try next.

Nice. I have had a few wines from that region but have never focused on the Syrahs. I will pick some up this week to see if our palates align. Cheera!

A few we have been working on. The better half has a better wine palate than I.

IMG_20200706_193050.jpg

Ran across this youtube video the other day & thought it should go in here:

Ran across this youtube video the other day & thought it should go in here:

I disagree with the premise. Professionals will have different opinions. You find the pro whose tastes agree with yours and pay attention to them.

As to expensive reds, many need aging or time out of the bottle before drinking. You can't uncork a complex red that is young, in general, and compare it to a $12 red. The $12 red will be soft, relatively simple, fruity and ready to drink. The $40 + young complex red will need decanting, aeration, or more time in the bottle.

I have fun finding value but since I don't drink as much, I like fine wines. I will venture out and find closeout specials - $60 wine going for $19 is a fun find.

Back