The Red Wine Thread

For tonight...

Capture.PNG

Nice selection of wine for Tigers meal...2015 shafer hillside select cabernet sauvignon
View attachment 8973689

is this an actual pic of tiger's wine lineup, or just a stock image of shafer hss? because that's a vertical going back to 1997. i participated in an event with a vertical that went back to 1997, i think the newest wine in the lineup was 2007. hss is a beautiful wine, but it's overpriced imho. and speaking of overpriced shafer, all of a sudden their one point five is like $130, and their relentless syrah is like $70. that is INSANITY. i used to buy those for like $40 and $25-$30, respectively.

is this an actual pic of tiger's wine lineup, or just a stock image of shafer hss? because that's a vertical going back to 1997. i participated in an event with a vertical that went back to 1997, i think the newest wine in the lineup was 2007. hss is a beautiful wine, but it's overpriced imho. and speaking of overpriced shafer, all of a sudden their one point five is like $130, and their relentless syrah is like $70. that is INSANITY. i used to buy those for like $40 and $25-$30, respectively.
Sorry just stock.

We are a BIG fan of The Prisoner, and a family friend was recently in CA and brought us back a care package! Excited is an understatement...
5a59908cd37309bf8a3d4b5211e2c44f.jpg

So many just ok wines are becoming overpriced these days, but there are some new sleepers coming out as well. I would love to see the increase of bottles at the recycling facilities with the lockdowns and people working from home.

We are a BIG fan of The Prisoner, and a family friend was recently in CA and brought us back a care package! Excited is an understatement...

good stuff. i’m a big fan of the saldo zinfandel. prisoner is another wine that used to be really good value. i don’t know if dave phinney is still making the wine, but i recently had a phinney red blend from portugal that was really good.

I’ve never had a wine from Baja CA before but this came highly recommended from someone I trust. Will open it this weekend.
9D4ED749-03F4-4D33-8576-BC9A960B2A31.jpeg

Not a wine drinker at all, but the wife likes Stella Rosa. It's tolerable, as wines go. A little too sweet for my tastes.

good stuff. i’m a big fan of the saldo zinfandel. prisoner is another wine that used to be really good value. i don’t know if dave phinney is still making the wine, but i recently had a phinney red blend from portugal that was really good.

I don’t know if he is either, which Portuguese wine was it? My family immigrated from the Azores 3 generations ago, always on the lookout for good Portuguese wines!

I don’t know if he is either, which Portuguese wine was it? My family immigrated from the Azores 3 generations ago, always on the lookout for good Portuguese wines!

i found it at total wine. locations by dave phinney, this one was called "p" for portugal. it's by no means an elevated expression of portuguese wines, but it ended up being enjoyable. https://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-...dave-phinney-p/p/220419750?s=909&igrules=true

a blend from the douro that we enjoyed more than the phinney wine was the destino fifth empire. punched way above its weight class. https://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-...pire-douro-red/p/188857750?s=909&igrules=true

A little Saturday evening tipple60671EF4-73F8-4BED-8497-EE6878F50DA3.jpeg

Another Grocery Outlet bargain. Bought the Walking Dead for the wife as we’re both fans. Probably tastes awful LOL.
015CD2F1-40ED-4CA4-A6B0-3B4C10B74C6F.jpeg

Adelsheim Pinot Noir 2018.JPG
This was our Thanksgiving dinner wine. I enjoyed it!

I looked and looked and lcouldn't find a red wine only thread. So here it is!

Here's the deal:
I like red wine. No.....I love red wine. I've done the winery tours, the tastings, the BS taking of notes and at the end of the day, I can find a $20-50 bottle of wine that I love easier than $50+

So, I wanted to start this thread for people to post PICS, PRICE, a quick REVIEW, and a general or. Simple stuff here. It can be a big winery, a famous one, a regional one, it could be a damn box of wine. If you like it or hate it....let us all know!

RULES:
Must be red wine- Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, etc etc etc. (if it's white, start your own white wine thread) lol

Hopefully UNDER $50

Give a rating: or

Post a pic of the bottle!!!
7a887d6757f1db25474e7014f1c39260.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've looked and can't find who to attribute this quote to, but it goes like this,. "The first duty of a wine is to be red!" I enjoy white wines, but reds are infinitely more complex! But I have some issues with how wines are being produced these days! They are made for near term drinking with high alcohol levels due to overripe grapes, and pretty much zero aging potential to develop any complexity. I had a cellar full of 1970's Cabernet from Napa Valley, that I allowed to age for 20+ years!

I was in Heaven! And you know what? All those Cabs tested out at about12.5% alcohol. Look at the alcohol levels on Napa Valley Cabs these days. They are routinely 14.5! They are meant to be drunk right now, and to hell with any further development!

The best Napa Valley Cab I have ever drunk is a 1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard, the full color label, that I drank in the late 90's! It was absolutely astounding! But nobody makeswine that way any more!

I've looked and can't find who to attribute this quote to, but it goes like this,. "The first duty of a wine is to be red!" I enjoy white wines, but reds are infinitely more complex! But I have some issues with how wines are being produced these days! They are made for near term drinking with high alcohol levels due to overripe grapes, and pretty much zero aging potential to develop any complexity. I had a cellar full of 1970's Cabernet from Napa Valley, that I allowed to age for 20+ years!

I was in Heaven! And you know what? All those Cabs tested out at about12.5% alcohol. Look at the alcohol levels on Napa Valley Cabs these days. They are routinely 14.5! They are meant to be drunk right now, and to hell with any further development!

The best Napa Valley Cab I have ever drunk is a 1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard, the full color label, that I drank in the late 90's! It was absolutely astounding! But nobody makeswine that way any more!

the 74 martha’s is a thing of legend. would love to have tried that wine in its prime.

i’m going to respectfully disagree with most of what you say above. the abv crowd in wine is like the loft peeping crowd in golf. higher extraction and riper fruit is in large part because of weather, but viticulture and viniculture have progressed significantly in the last 50 years. we know how to do much more with less than winemakers of old, and have advanced technologies to do it.

structure does not have to be sacrificed for fruit. low abv wines can be interesting, but higher abv can age beautifully. also, how one person wants a 20+ year old wine to present can differ from another person. i never want a wine to wow me with subtlety; i still need a strong presence of primary flavors to find a wine enjoyable, then the secondaries and tertiaries can complement rather than dominate.

much like golf, it’s a great time to be alive and have access to so many great wines from all over the world.

Fabulous
4A08B537-3CBD-4D13-82E9-AA75E0A13967.jpeg

Total transparency......Aldi’s! I forget the price. Maybe $19?
I like a good tempranillo - I'll have to investigate - several times.

I like a good tempranillo - I'll have to investigate - several times.

if i'm drinking wine from spain, it's going to be garnacha, or monastrell. every now and then i'll do a blend from priorat, but those are go-to grapes.

We hit up their tasting room while in Napa a few years back. Its quiet the experience. They have it all done up like a dungeon, very different and very fun from 99% of Napa. Too bad Orin swift isn't associated any more, but they still make good wine.

View attachment 8976381
This was our Thanksgiving dinner wine. I enjoyed it!
This was one of our favorite wineries when we visited Willamette a few weeks ago. Beautiful land and tasting room, and great wine! Unfortunately they got hit super HARD by 2020 fires and decided not to harvest most of their Pinot Grapes due the smoke taint their grapes suffered.

Moved on to wines from Lodi California, favorites are those from Lange Twins, and Jessie's Grove. Visits to wineries are much less expensive for tastings, and the wine is more reasonably priced. Interesting to find a lot of Lodi grape production goes to Napa.

Back