Redneck Putter Mods

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
I picked up a Bettinardi BB54 last year & as much as I love the shape & set up, I just couldn't get used to the head weight. I've been using heavy putters for a while, so the 358g head felt too light. After some research, I found out that Bettinardi made a BB54 with a head weight of 400g & the only difference was the weight at the back of the putter. The 358g head had holes drilled out in the bottom of the weight.
1687b4b22bdbf02b355d44cd4e08ed2f.jpg

6745cbe34890fc97d4ca5631a68ca194.jpg

Today I had some time on my hands, so I heated up the screw that holds the weight in & took it out. Sure enough, it had 2 small holes & 2 large holes in it.

I wanted to add around 32g of weight to it & thought the easiest way would be to put lead tape in the holes. But cutting out circles of lead tape to fit in the holes would be a pain & I don't have a scale so I wouldn't have known how much lead tape to cram in there to get to my desired weight.

While I was sitting there at my desk contemplating driving to the store to get a kitchen scale, I saw some loose change sitting there & it sparked an idea. First I tried put a nickel in the hole, but then nickel was slightly to large. The penny however was almost a perfect fit. It left just a little room around the sides. Each of the big holes would fit 7 pennies & a quick google revealed that modern pennies weigh 2.5g. So 7 pennies in each hole would put the total to 35g. Just 3g than my target.
e2fe0cefa40ecae8d82eaad84a9bfcf1.jpg

I grabbed some silicon out of the garage & went to work. The end result feels great & only cost me $0.14 plus a tiny bit of silicon I already had.
04f08cca8835533de4ec94774e4e6a12.jpg

Whatever it takes! I see no problem with it.

Nice work. I would have glued the pennies together and added silicone on both sides juuuuust to make sure there was no rattle. I'm sure it will be fine.

Nice cool work there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putted really well with it today & it didn't rattle or make any noise. The extra weight helped a ton.

That is impressive shakey! I don't have the know-how to attempt something like that, but I am guilty of back weighting putters with a clevis pin and using scotch tape to dampen the noise

Back