Regrets, I have a few.....

Xt1ncT-NZ

Englishman in New Zealand
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm pretty sure there's a few club ho's like me here, and I'm equally sure those club ho's among you will have a few regrets that have built up over the years. I was inspired to start this thread by something TC said to me in another thread.

So I'll kick it off - a couple of mine...

First of all, last year in about February I sold 2 sets.....yes you read that right, 2 sets of Tourstage z101s. One was a mint set, used about 10 times if that. The other were my gamers, and also in pretty good condition as well. Boy do I regret this. These irons were fantastic, they felt beautiful, weren't actually that hard to hit, plus at my club they were pretty exclusive. I almost bought another set earlier this year but didn't.

Next a putter. Back in about 2004 I bought a Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec. Lovely putter - in fact I have another one that I had restored at the Custom Shop - for some stupid reason I thought a 2-ball would be better. And guess what? It wasn't! Haha

I have a few more, but those above are the main ones. So come on guys and girls, what about you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I regret buying a shirt today from the pro shop, because it's too big and I just wanted to buy something.

-I got rid of my Taylormade Z TP 54* for some Vokeys years back. I wish I still had that club. I didn't need a 54* anymore though.

The only regret I have had was when I replaced my Titleist 585H with a TM Raylor. I was lucky that the club (585H) didn't sell right away, because I would have kicked myself. I am still in the market for a new hybrid, I have done a ton of research on hybrids here on THP (THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL OF THE INFO!) and found a few I like, I just haven't found something I hit as well as the 585H.

I regret getting talked into reshafting my nickents from stiff to regular. Thankfully, I've held on to them since and plan to reshaft them. I still kick myself for it though.

I have quite a few clubs and there are only a handful that I will keep forever. Mostly putters. Irons, drivers, woods, hybrids, wedges....always seems to be something out there that can step in. But, putters. I can get personal with those.

My biggest club regret was with a driver I had which was perfect for me. It was an original Tour Edge Exotics driver, 9* w/stock stiff Exotics/NV shaft. I'd had a couple of other Exotics drivers that didn't work for me but this one was remarkable. Square to slightly open face and with it, I hit OVER 80% of fairways over the course of 20+ rounds. Absolutely, PHENOMENAL for me.

During a trip to Myrtle Beach, I'd splintered the shaft at its insertion into the hosel. I took it to Martin's Golf to see about a reshaft when, to my surprise, they offered an even exchange with the same driver from their stock.

I took them up on it without even thinking, forgetting that the magic I had with that club could very well have been due to the clubhead since I'd tried others of the same combo that didn't work for me. Well, neither did the replacement. Not only did it not measure up to its predecessor, but I'd gone from point and shoot off of the tee to simply anemic.

Took a loooong time for me to find another driver with the same magic. That one, I blew up the face after only about 20 rounds. 20 rounds seems to be about my limit when it comes to driver nirvana. :sad:

My biggest club regret was with a driver I had which was perfect for me. It was an original Tour Edge Exotics driver, 9* w/stock stiff Exotics/NV shaft. I'd had a couple of other Exotics drivers that didn't work for me but this one was remarkable. Square to slightly open face and with it, I hit OVER 80% of fairways over the course of 20+ rounds. Absolutely, PHENOMENAL for me.

During a trip to Myrtle Beach, I'd splintered the shaft at its insertion into the hosel. I took it to Martin's Golf to see about a reshaft when, to my surprise, they offered an even exchange with the same driver from their stock.

I took them up on it without even thinking, forgetting that the magic I had with that club could very well have been due to the clubhead since I'd tried others of the same combo that didn't work for me. Well, neither did the replacement. Not only did it not measure up to its predecessor, but I'd gone from point and shoot off of the tee to simply anemic.

Took a loooong time for me to find another driver with the same magic. That one, I blew up the face after only about 20 rounds. 20 rounds seems to be about my limit when it comes to driver nirvana. :sad:

Ha! I feel your pain my regretful brother!

I also have a driver story - the original R7 Quad. I had one with the stock stiff shaft at 9.5*. played a tournament with work and the guys I played with couldn't believe how well I hit it. Fairway after fairway, and long. Shot 5 over par that day, with a level par back nine. And that's with bogeying the last two holes :(

Traded that club for a Ping G5 which was loooooong, but v. wayward. Haven't found anything as near as good as that R7 was. Treated me well that driver, won a fair few beers :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regrets? Letting my dad order my irons for me. -.-

My regret goes back to 1996. I was living and playing in Fairfax,VA at Penderbrook GC and was kill'n a Callaway Great Big Bertha with an Ei70 shaft. I hit that thing like.....well let's just say I control of my ball. My best friend, to this day, hit it and fell in love with it. I'm always one to put my friends first, so I gave it too him. I struggled to find a driver for 5 years after that. No driver shaft combo fit me until I found the Titleist D with a fujikura shaft.....oh what may have been if I could have those five years back. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really have a club regret but my main golf regret is that I've never been properly fit for irons. Hoping to change that soon or at least get some better info on what may be best for my game when I visit GolfTec this week

Selling a complete set for £150, the driver alone was worth more than that. This is back in 1999 though.

Giving up the game for 15 or so years

I don't really have a club regret but my main golf regret is that I've never been properly fit for irons. Hoping to change that soon or at least get some better info on what may be best for my game when I visit GolfTec this week

That's great news to hear buddy!

My regrets: not starting to play this game earlier in life. Selling my Cally X Tour 3wood.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

That I didn't find THP sooner , but no club regrets

I now tap while I talk

Selling my cleveland hi bore xl 3wood - been through 3 different 3 woods since and non has compared- hopefully my new k15 will change that!

Lots of club regrets. Have a tendency to buy something and not hit it well then I trade it thinking the club is the problem. Luckily for me, THP has opened my eyes to many things about clubs, shafts, and OEM's that I never would have known otherwise.

Sent from my Tapatalk!

No club regrets here... yet. But same as some folks here that I wish I started playing sooner in life.

Yup, not playing sooner. Stupid pride...

Anyways, club regrets, hmmm. none yet.

Oddly, I met someone on the range 2 days ago who has a self proclaimed addiction to clubs. His story, in the past 5 years, he's gone through 28 different sets of irons. At one time, he owned 5 sets of irons, and 24 wedges... Currently, he only has one set of irons, 6 wedges, 2 drivers, 2 3-woods, 1 putter. Money became an issue. Point of the story: after going through so many different sets/clubs, he regrets getting rid of a couple.

Sounds like our only club regrets are getting rid of them. So is the moral of all this - buy more clubs?? :D

I've had a few rubbish clubs, but you learn that quickly and it never becomes a regret. Haven't really got any regrets about getting rid of older clubs. Onwards and upwards (my handicap anyway!)

Man I've had a couple
Cally x-14s--Thought I had sold them to a friend but it ended up that I gave them to him.
Cally Steelhead III 3W--Just hit this thing perfect. Never should have gotten rid of it. 3W's are impossible to find that just suit you and this one did.
Odyssey Tri-hot 3--Again just a perfect putter for me.

My regret is not starting to play until I was 21. Baseball, football, tennis, surfing, and skateboarding everyday but never golf. Gets me so pissed off.

Common theme, I regret I didn't start playing earlier. As for clubs, no regrets on clubs at this point and time.

However, the subject of this read is exactly how I obtained my current putter. I bought it from a friend in the golf league. He's got nearly a dozen in the closet and will swap over the course of the year from one to another putter. When I had a particular bad patch w/ my putting he offered to sell me one of his. I tried 3-4 of his putters and ended up buying a TM Rossa from him. To this day he will make a comment about buying back the putter. If I ever find an upgrade, I'll have to sell it back to him.

I regret selling my Superfast (1.0) three wood to my buddy. I wanted to get a Strong 3 wood (13*) to keep it under the horrific wind here for the short par 4s. Now I just wish I had my three wood back.

Back