Regripping - who do you trust the most?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
Let’s say you typically regroup yourself but have a ton going on and don’t have time.

Which retail place would you trust to do the job right? Club Champion? PGATSS? Golf Galaxy?

I've used DSG and haven't had issues. But since I like aligns I'll probably go to the local small golf shop and pay a little more

I’d wait until I had time.

I would trust any of them. I'd go to which ever one was cheapest or easiest commute.

Before I started regripping clubs myself I always took mine to the local Scheels and never had an issues. I can only imagine that a golf-specific retail shop like any of those mentioned would be the same. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

About the individual more than the location.

Don't have a big box store as an option locally. Would have asst pro at club due it if needed.

I can't think of any reason that I would need to regrip so bad that I couldn't find the time to do it myself.

It is such an easy job I almost couldn’t see not trusting anyone to do it.

Anyone so long as it wasn’t my putter grip. I trust no one to replace the grip on my putter.

I would leave them as is until I had the time to do it myself.

Before I got into club building really big time, I had only ever had it done once at GG and had one not seated the whole way on but again it’s store and employee dependent.

Don’t overthink it. They are in business to do these type of things. Pick one that works best for you

I've used Golf Galaxy many times and it's been done correctly

Ain’t nobody touching my sticks but me. If I don’t have time to regrip, I don’t have time to play so it doesn’t matter 🤣. Gun to head... my local independent club pro. Certainly not a chain golf store here in the UK.

I’d wait until I had the time, or I’d make the time. I really enjoy doing club work though.

Do a couple clubs each day. Week goes by and you are done.

This is exactly what i thought as soon as I read the OP! I will wait until i have time, or I will stay up after the wife got to bed and do it....My last set from and OEM was supposed to be sent out with +2 extra wraps, they came with regular grips and one piece of tape. I do my own

If it’s a simple one wrap and grip, anyone. If I want it built up a certain way, I’d either go club champion or small retailer. Ultimately I’d just not regrip until I had time though

The Dick's by my house is spotty about having someone who knows what they are doing in the golf area. At the local Golf Galaxy they always have someone competent in the club repair and building area. The local store in Louisville has an even more competent staff.

For a regrip most people are competent. If you politely ask that old tape removed, and grip aligned properly, they will generally nail it.

but I do all my own so admittedly it's been a few years since I've used a store, but my buddies never have complaints if they go somewhere.

I almost always do myself. But on the way on our trip I got a new shaft from a friend along the drive. He didn’t have any grips so we stopped at PGASS on the way. I still had tape over the callaway adapter for the epoxy yet she took extra time to make sure the grip was perfectly aligned. And she didn’t charge for the install. Nice to have a person take pride in their work.

I only do mine myself. It’s more because I enjoy doing it rather than not trusting others.

THIS right here, I know you said if i did not have time to do it, but that means i don't have time to play either, because i can regroup my entire set of irons in less than an hour. I would just stay up late and do it.

I've had experienced older guys/pros at local shops completely butcher simple regrips/reshafts. Things like grip not aligned right, or ferrules not being turned down properly, or logo up on a 3wood shaft when it was meant to go in logo down.

I've had a recent high school grad in golf galaxy perfectly regrip a whole set and complete 2 reshafts on wedges that have been without issue. She even turned down the ferrules and made sure the SWs remained constant and told me which clubs need lead tape and how much after it was done.

Your experience will literally vary by each person doing the work.

Take 1 club to a shop near you and if they do that right, take the rest of the set and request that same person to do it.

I have a guy at my home course. Super convenient and always comes out great.

Back