Regripping - who do you trust the most?

Me, the last few that someone else did they got offline. I do that from time to time too, but I didn't have to pay me to do it.

Sorry to say i wouldn’t trust golf Galaxy to put the trash out the night before!

i use air it’s quick clean fast. Summing you have the tools.

barring that i assume pgatss might be lesscostly than club champ?

I trust them, however it is a small amount of time to regrip and I can make the time. I typically do a few at a time.

I've had experienced older guys/pros at local shops completely butcher simple regrips/reshafts. Things like grip not aligned right, or ferrules not being turned down properly, or logo up on a 3wood shaft when it was meant to go in logo down.

I've had a recent high school grad in golf galaxy perfectly regrip a whole set and complete 2 reshafts on wedges that have been without issue. She even turned down the ferrules and made sure the SWs remained constant and told me which clubs need lead tape and how much after it was done.

Your experience will literally vary by each person doing the work.

Take 1 club to a shop near you and if they do that right, take the rest of the set and request that same person to do it.

There was a time when grips were $1-$3 a piece. Last LT Winn grips I bought were close to $20 after tax.
Im too cheap to let anyone touch my grips.

Sittler Golf down in Reading area does the best club work around here, so probably them. Most likely would just do it myself though.

Let’s say you typically regroup yourself but have a ton going on and don’t have time.

Which retail place would you trust to do the job right? Club Champion? PGATSS? Golf Galaxy?
I had terrible experiences at both GG and PGATSS. I am sure it is just the luck of the draw most times though. I prefer small, independent golf retailers for any club work.

I will regrip my own...
But when I worked at Dick’s, I regripped hundreds of clubs with no complaints...
I was very meticulous about gripping peoples clubs.

Ask @JB , he has seen my grip work and it’s good, so it’s really the person you get not the store necessarily...

Since this task is one of the basic of golf club repair/maintenance ; most the retail places will have the trainees/apprentice re-grip your golf clubs. It'll be difficult to say where would be a better place to send your golf club for re-gripping.
Think of it this way.
It'll take time for you to collect your golf clubs and drive to one of the retail locations ( $4+ per gallon fuel cost ? ), and then you have to go back to pick it up ( most the retail will have 1-2 days turn around time ). A few retail will install the grips for free, IF, you purchase the grips from them for full retail price, but typically will charge $2-$3 labor cost per club for removing the old grips and installing the new.

If you have changed the grips in the past (supposedly you're proficient with this task ), find 30 minutes in your busy schedule.

Last edited:
I don't buy Aligns but I don't trust anyone to do Aligns - my guy who builds clubs says he charges $24 per Align Grip because it takes at least 15 minutes per grip to get it perfect.

I replace my grips often enough that I could wait until I have time.

FYI, local golf shop advised against Superstroke, cross comfort grips.
All the installers at this shop agree its trouble because the firm inner sleeve easily hangs up
when installing and they end up with a crease or creases on inner sleeve.

If the pros have trouble imagine the DIY will too.

My local shop in Madison is the only other people I’ve trusted. Went to a golf galaxy once and wasn’t happy.

Luck of the draw with who you get anywhere. I've been lucky so far. One day I'll have a space and do my own. One day...

I regrip with air. Never had a slip, only trust myself. I’d trust a friend certainly, not the minimum wage whatever in GG.

not sure what is wrong with GG, how bad can they screw it up. I get 360's, so, alignment isn't an issue.

I'm an absolute dunce with tools but I can regrip easily in my garage. Far easier and cheaper than having someone at a store or pro shop do it. It's gotten to the point where I enjoy it, and I'll try new grips on occasion to see what I might like better. I use solvent, not air since I don't have a compressor.

The first time I ever re-gripped a club, I showed my golfing buddy, guy I play with 75% of the time, we were just young bucks at the time and he asked "why didn't you just take it to the pro shop?" To which I replied, in classic answer the question with a question form, "Why would I pay someone to do something I can do myself?" (Disregard that whole concept of the service industry here) I have found that I really enjoy regripping clubs, a nice time to feel connected. (Also no technical skills/tools needed!)

FYI, local golf shop advised against Superstroke, cross comfort grips.
All the installers at this shop agree its trouble because the firm inner sleeve easily hangs up
when installing and they end up with a crease or creases on inner sleeve.

If the pros have trouble imagine the DIY will too.

"If the pros have trouble imagine the DIY will too."

With the modern multi layers /multi material grips, it's difficult not to ruin a small percentage of grips, especially with the demand for built up underneath the grip.
It is why , learn to use air compressor to install/remove grips. With a little lubricant ( sometimes just water), these grips will go on like greased with butter.
I had been using the air compressor for grips and other small tasks more than a decade ago and never looked back. An adequate air compressor could also replace the traditional grinder and cutter with attachments.
It is never a good idea to remove a multilayered grip, high percentage of failure rate is expected.

It is such an easy job I almost couldn’t see not trusting anyone to do it.
It's not rocket science, but competency is becoming increasingly hard to find. A few regripping errors I've seen.

1. Scratching the shaft when removing the old grips (and worse not telling the customer you did so).
2. Not getting all the old tape off.
3. Not installing the tape so it's smooth and in line with the shaft.
4. Installing the tape too far down the shaft, so tape is exposed when the grip is installed (and worse trimming off the excess tape leaving the butt end of the grip without adhesive).
5. Not taping the prescribed number of layers.
6. Inconsistent positioning of the grip relative to the club head. Even grips without an alignment line should be positioned consistently, so it doesn't play games with the player's eyes.
7. Shaft not installed to the top of the grip.
8. Realizing the grip isn't positioned properly and simply trying to rotate the grip after the adhesive has already started to cure.

I don't buy Aligns but I don't trust anyone to do Aligns - my guy who builds clubs says he charges $24 per Align Grip because it takes at least 15 minutes per grip to get it perfect.
I think that $96/hour is excessive to change any grips... independent engine mechanics don't charge as much. I suggest that you take the time and find someone else at that rate or simply do it yourself like I do with compressed air. I've tried Align grips in the past and it didn't take anywhere near that amount of much time... and I got them on perfectly. :drinks:

By the time I drove to one of these places to drop them off, tell them what I want, complete the transaction then have to go back for them it’d be quicker to do it myself...

I think that $96/hour is excessive to change any grips... independent engine mechanics don't charge as much. I suggest that you take the time and find someone else at that rate or simply do it yourself like I do with compressed air. I've tried Align grips in the past and it didn't take anywhere near that amount of much time... and I got them on perfectly. :drinks:

Aligns are not my thing. I may open or close the face and/or I don't like a hump on my fingers. Personal preference. My friend is expensive. He probably charges that much because he does not want to install them...:ROFLMAO:

Back