Regular Shoes on the course trend?

GreenHunter

a.k.a. Hundo
Reaction score
I use Footjoy retro-style shoes with those circular plastic spikes for the grip on the turf. But I noticed that a lot of people that I have been golfing with or see around the course are using plain old running shoes, skate shoes or even flat Air Force 1's (non-golf). I have to say I'm a little confused about not using golf shoes when golfing, especially in the wet. Maybe its style > function? Not hating btw cause 'whatever floats your boat' and all that, but is this a trend?

Also I understand golf shoes can be quite expensive, but some of these guys get the latest and greatest drivers/irons each year so I hardly think its a cost issue. Maybe I'm just old school

I see it sometimes. It's usually more with people who don't play all that often and probably don't want to invest money on golf shoes.

I can see forgoing the expense if you don't play often and want to be comfortable in your usual shoes, but even with dry conditions, I may slip on a tee shot here and there.

I couldn't play in those, I'm feel like I'm bordering on Scheffler footwork as it is. The lines between "golf shoes" and "regular shoes" are getting pretty blurred though, what looks to be a casual shoe might be the golf version (Jordans etc).

Didn't know this was a trend??? Are you sure they are not simply spikeless shoes you are noticing?

I can see forgoing the expense if you don't play often and want to be comfortable in your usual shoes, but even with dry conditions, I may slip on a tee shot here and there.
yeah this happened to me one day I forgot to bring my golf shoes and I was head scratching at how everyone else is doing it without slipping

Didn't know this was a trend??? Are you sure they are not simply spikeless shoes you are noticing?
I know at least the majority I'm seeing are regular. Best one I've seen are the Dad BBQ Grill-master New Balance shoes haha

Before spikeless became super common and comfortable I moved to playing in running shoes but that was 20 years ago.

I use Footjoy retro-style shoes with those circular plastic spikes for the grip on the turf. But I noticed that a lot of people that I have been golfing with or see around the course are using plain old running shoes, skate shoes or even flat Air Force 1's (non-golf). I have to say I'm a little confused about not using golf shoes when golfing, especially in the wet. Maybe its style > function? Not hating btw cause 'whatever floats your boat' and all that, but is this a trend?

Also I understand golf shoes can be quite expensive, but some of these guys get the latest and greatest drivers/irons each year so I hardly think its a cost issue. Maybe I'm just old school
Same here. A huge percentage of the golfers I see are not wearing golf specific shoes. Most are in low top tennis shoes.

I no longer own a pair of golf specific shoes myself. Haven't for the past 40 years. Like others, at my talent level, I decided they were not needed to play decent golf.

I know a couple of guys who play in running shoes but they do it because of foot and ankle problems.

I had to play in my Stan Smiths a couple of years back because I didn't have my golf shoes in the car. Not a fun day.

Back