Rejecting the modern game

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
So, recently I picking up an old A.G. Spalding putter at an antique store. I actually though it was a hickory at first but when I got it home I noticed that it had a pyratone shaft (steel with a chemical coating to make it look like wood).
I thought that putter was kind of cool, so I decided to pick up a set of Spalding Autograph pyratone shafted irons. I liked those, so I decided to pick up a couple persimmon woods to finish it off and have a vintage bag.
Ive been playing those clubs off and on this year and Ive come to realize that I really enjoy them. I find that I hit the ball a lot straighter, a bit higher and am hitting more greens. I dont quite hit the ball as far but its not bad.
With the persimmon woods, I thought that they would be much more difficult to hit but Ive been playing them for a while now and I dont find them any more difficult to hit and I hit the ball much straighter, with maybe only 10 yards less of distance. I hit my modern driver about 230 yards, I hit my old Wilson persimmon about 220 yards. I honestly cant remember the last time that I lost a ball.
This experience has made me realize that distance isnt everything and that accuracy and feel are much more important. Its also made me question if all this new tech that is in modern clubs really is making us play better. For me, it doesnt make me play better and in some ways makes me play worse because Im not accurate with modern clubs.
Not to mention that playing with 80+ year old clubs is just fun and the looks and questions that I get about them are interesting, to say the least.
Just last weekend, I played a round with a gentleman who had a full bag of the latest and greatest clubs and he marveled at how well I could play with such old clubs.

Holy cow, where are the pics?!?!

worthless_without_pics.gif

I play a couple of times each year with my 1987 irons and old persimmon woods. The irons don't cost me more than a stroke a round but the woods certainly do if my swing is just a bit off. My pured shots with the persimmon driver still go within about 15 yards of my Epic SZ but the misses can easily be 40-50 yards shorter.

Heres a few pics. The last pic is from the 1st time I took them out and had a 3-wood too. I've since gone minimalist and just go driver, 5-wood, 5, 7 and 9 for the irons, Dynamiter wedge (it feels like a 56ish degree to me) and the putter.
db0c40a6354b4f2a3ee4cda304695807.jpg
8b31f837b0d7a36036233b1cee2b0502.jpg
fd7d4107ae939398a8951a9cf4e6379b.jpg
67fe5db1370599e3aa7c083ffe70db72.jpg
d8273e1467721e991a93fed4ca1a0bcc.jpg
42a7afa0d79599502fe32caa7ba91200.jpg
47b1303509bb5a3e214f4eb7a7fca736.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I play a couple of times each year with my 1987 irons and old persimmon woods. The irons don't cost me more than a stroke a round but the woods certainly do if my swing is just a bit off. My pured shots with the persimmon driver still go within about 15 yards of my Epic SZ but the misses can easily be 40-50 yards shorter.
I find with the woods that if I tee it low and swing easy, it's just fine. It could just be that I focus more on swinging easy and making solid contact because the head is smaller. A 460 head let's you get sloppy, imo.

I have been considering building a Sunday bag like this. I think that's awesome!!

Interesting.

I have one hickory shaft 5 iron... says: Bert Cochrane 145-150 yds... hahaha...!!!
3yyvCtt.jpg

Here's what I played in the 80's. Was able to score low single digits over par from the tips. Typical well struck drives were 280+. The 653 3W was 260+.

Hogan 25th Anniversary Commemorative model made in 1978 with Apex 4 shaft.
aN1A9S8.jpg

IEAja04.jpg

MacGregor Tourney Tommy Armour 653 3W with TT DG S300 shaft (probably made in the late 50's or in the 60's)
iIZ5nHZ.jpg

DfXn7Vu.jpg

Hogan Apex Redlines made in 1988 - forged blades with Apex 4 shafts...
SmUnpTx.jpg

6aDrXKc.jpg

wzZdGMV.jpg

How in the world were we ever able to play well without all the new tech??? I've never figured that out. ;)

Interesting.

I have one hickory shaft 5 iron... says: Bert Cochrane 145-150 yds... hahaha...!!!
3yyvCtt.jpg

Here's what I played in the 80's. Was able to score low single digits over par from the tips. Typical well struck drives were 280+. The 653 3W was 260+.

aN1A9S8.jpg

IEAja04.jpg

MacGregor Tourney Tommy Armour 653 3W with TT DG S300 shaft (probably made in the late 50's or in the 60's)
iIZ5nHZ.jpg

DfXn7Vu.jpg

SmUnpTx.jpg

6aDrXKc.jpg

wzZdGMV.jpg

How in the world were we ever able to play well without all the new tech??? I've never figured that out. ;)
I like those Hogans. The first time I ever played golf I borrowed my neighbor's Hogans. I think they were Apexs. All original with the bag too.

Interesting.

3yyvCtt.jpg

aN1A9S8.jpg

IEAja04.jpg

iIZ5nHZ.jpg

DfXn7Vu.jpg

SmUnpTx.jpg

6aDrXKc.jpg

wzZdGMV.jpg

A buddy of mine has those same irons & breaks them out a couple of times a year. They feel really good & go for miles but they sure hurt my hands before I remember that I’m not very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting story, I appreciate your sharing. Golf can be enjoyed many ways, but like you I doubt how much modern tech really makes a difference. I don't see it with irons, but think I would with woods.

Dave

A buddy of mine has those same irons & breaks them out a couple of times a year. They feel really good & go for miles but they sure hurt my hands before I remember that I’m not very good.

They do feel good, IF... you find the sweet spot. This was why we hit 1000's of balls all the time, to groove our swings. These Redlines weren't long for me. They were traditionally lofted. IIRC, PW was 120-125, the 9 iron was 135-140. the 8 iron was 145-150, the 7 was 155-160, 6i was 167-170, 5i was 180-185, 4i was 190-195, 3i was 205, 2i was 215. This was from turf, not teed up. I purchased the Hogan Edge GCD Forged set next after these, and those were about 5-10 yds longer per iron.

Great looking bag but I highly doubt I could play even half way decent with clubs like that. And I’m impressed you only lost a little distance.

Interesting story, I appreciate your sharing. Golf can be enjoyed many ways, but like you I doubt how much modern tech really makes a difference. I don't see it with irons, but think I would with woods.

Dave
IMO, much of the advantage of metalwood vs persimmon lies in the shaft. Modern drivers have a longer and lighter shaft, so you're going to get more distance.
Put the same shaft in both and I doubt there would be much difference.

Great looking bag but I highly doubt I could play even half way decent with clubs like that. And I’m impressed you only lost a little distance.
Lol...there was an adjustment period, for sure.

IMO, much of the advantage of metalwood vs persimmon lies in the shaft. Modern drivers have a longer and lighter shaft, so you're going to get more distance.
Put the same shaft in both and I doubt there would be much difference.

I think the big difference is the ball. The modern golf ball is awesome.

Dave

I find with the woods that if I tee it low and swing easy, it's just fine. It could just be that I focus more on swinging easy and making solid contact because the head is smaller. A 460 head let's you get sloppy, imo.

I get it and even shot a 74 last time with the old irons and persimmon woods. I just wouldn’t want to give up modern tech on a daily basis for the stuff I played my first 1500 rounds with. It would be like going back to my 1984 Audi Coupe GT, great car at the time but slow and primitive compared to modern vehicles.

I wouldn't sell yourself short. Your profile shows a 9 cap. I'd bet you may struggle a bit with the woods, but would do just fine with the irons and wedges. I'm a worse golfer averaging about 46 on par 36 3,000 yard courses but iron play is about the same from player's all the way to SGI for me.

Dave

Modern balls go so much straighter but would give old clubs a try if someone brought some. I would be afraid to break hickory shafts though.

Interesting.

3yyvCtt.jpg

aN1A9S8.jpg

IEAja04.jpg

iIZ5nHZ.jpg

DfXn7Vu.jpg

SmUnpTx.jpg

6aDrXKc.jpg

wzZdGMV.jpg

That is a smokin' nice setup in its day. Kudos.

I like nostalgia and vintage clubs, and I take out my oldies once or twice a year as well. I am a Hogan guy and have some '99 blades and '91 Edge GS, along with '82 personals that are office art. A few Texas Golf Co. classics (Trxan, All American, Corker set, Kool Cat set), Joe Powell, Ping woods. And some classic BeCu wedges from Hogan and Cleveland ?

I get it and even shot a 74 last time with the old irons and persimmon woods. I just wouldn’t want to give up modern tech on a daily basis for the stuff I played my first 1500 rounds with. It would be like going back to my 1984 Audi Coupe GT, great car at the time but slow and primitive compared to modern vehicles.

I'd take my '64 Vette back in a heartbeat over any current vehicle. :p

I'd take my '64 Vette back in a heartbeat over any current vehicle. :p

My father in law is the original owner of a ‘62 Vette that has 28,000 miles on it. I told my wife and her siblings that it’s the only thing that will cause any trouble when he passes. None of care about his 2009 ZR1. I will overpay for the ‘62 when it comes up. $100k should do it.
1DEE59B1-28B0-4A3D-ABD5-0F0DA3656729.jpeg

Last edited:
For anyone who might be curious about the vintage of these clubs, the pyratone shafts suggest they are from some time between 1926 and 1935. Pyratone was used in a time when golf was transitioning from hickory to steel and was used to mimick the look of hickory. By 1935, the case had been made that steel was superior, so pyratone was no longer neccesary.
I'm not sure about the age of the woods but Id guess they are probably from the '50s.

I think the big difference is the ball. The modern golf ball is awesome.

Dave
Lower spin too. I've been play the Wilson Duo and Fifty Elite and they seem to work well. Next year, I want to the the Duo Urethane or Duo Pro because the regular Duo doesnt spin a whole lot.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sell yourself short. Your profile shows a 9 cap. I'd bet you may struggle a bit with the woods, but would do just fine with the irons and wedges. I'm a worse golfer averaging about 46 on par 36 3,000 yard courses but iron play is about the same from player's all the way to SGI for me.

Dave
I agree. I'm a 10 handicap and these clubs aren't that bad. The lofts are weak compared to modern clubs, so it's easy to get the ball up into the air.
Probably the biggest challenge for me is hitting the 5-wood off the ground. Even when I feel like I hit it well, it doesnt go quite as high as I'd like.

Back