kc720

Reaction score
Handicap
2manyclubs
I am a firm believer of speed + proper technique = power. I am 5'9" and 155 lbs soaking wet. While I've been blessed with some athleticism, I've always worked hard on proper techniques while trying to increase speed thus increase power. If you look at guys on tour like Rory and Justin thomas, they generate incredible speed and power from their limited stature.

There are so many key components to a fast and powerful swing. Here are some things I'm working on:

1. Stable right side on the back swing. Really keeping the knee stable but still get good load onto the right glute and weight transfered into inner side of right heel

2. Hip tilt into the backswing created by some bend in left knee (right handed) in the back swing and and subsequent change in the hip tilt through the down swing

3. Bringing the trail elbow into the proper zone and maintaining some bend in the elbow through impact and releasing in a straight line in front of the ball. (And stay behind the ball). A real good series of YouTube videos I like is from Top speed golf. He talks a lot about the straight line release.

Are any of you working on similar things?

I almost forgot the topic statement. HOW TO STAY RELAXED but still create the speed and power that seems effortless. Haha. This is the key missing component in my game I think. When I get into all these technical issues in the swing and practice, I tend to get tense and pretty much suck lol

Kang when I had the pleasure to enjoy the round with you ,I witnessed just this. For us smaller guys creating speed and power takes finese. For me,I am working on staying quite threw the swing tend to sway at times . You insight is exactly what I am trying in my own swing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Moved to swing aid forum

Kang when I had the pleasure to enjoy the round with you ,I witnessed just this. For us smaller guys creating speed and power takes finese. For me,I am working on staying quite threw the swing tend to sway at times . You insight is exactly what I am trying in my own swing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8
Oh buddy I fight the sways constantly! Creating rotational speed properly and limiting the side to side movement is very hard!

The guys you mentioned and 98% of power hitters, all release the hips to generate their power. Most ams try to build power with limited hip release and mainly an upper body move. Without proper sequencing from the ground up, power is limited.

Like you I'm a short and slender guy and I am working on similar things especially the swinging into the back leg and staying behind the ball. I've been watching videos from mike Malaska and he talks about creating space by pushing away with the legs and let the weight of the club and gravity do the work. He talks about the pushing away helps create the speed instead of swing faster. He refers to the pivot points on release and the club and hands working/exiting left.

In my upcoming lessons the fundamentals are what I want to focus on and to develop the smooth swing with effortless power

Oh buddy I fight the sways constantly! Creating rotational speed properly and limiting the side to side movement is very hard!
That is exactly what I was working on middle of last year. When I did it properly my game was where I wanted it. If I was swaying it was a less then enjoyable time. I use the doors rail to aid a bit when I can it somewhat helps

Sent from my SM-G900W8

I struggle with this big time and I think that's why I come over the top a lot, panda, have you any good drills for this?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back