Reliving Past Grandaddy Moments

Afizzle2100

Proud 2021 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been hearing a LOT of Christmas is only X amount of days away conversation before we even get to Halloween. However, these people are right. Almost single digit weeks until the “Holiday Season”.

More importantly though, that means we are 8ish weeks away from The Grandaddy of Them All which is basically a holiday for THPers.

I had an idea of reliving some fun Grandaddy memories in the coming weeks to remind us of some of the best moments in Grandaddy history after a year away from it.

So starting this Friday I will post at least one memory from past Grandaddy’s that we can reminisce on.

For the first post of this thread I thought I would start with a recent memory we may all remember involving some members we all know and love.

The stage is the 2019 Grandaddy. We are on day 3 which is traditionally the first day of matches at The Hideaway. The 2019 version included a 9 hole shamble, 9 hole best ball and a horse race that didn’t count towards the event but was offering up a $250 Travis Matthew gift card to the winners.

To revisit this memory we need to go back 1 night previous to Dinner at Al’s house. Pairings were selected that night, and after months of back and forth banter between the two, Team THP selected @Snickerdog to take on @JasonFinleyCG . @JMB3 and @jeffneubarth were along for the ride in this heavy weight battle. However, Snicks couldn’t have known that he would be drowning in metaphorical milk.

When the pairings were announced there was a clamoring in the room. The evidence was damning for Snickerdog. Thanks to great camerawork all night at Al’s by fellow “izzle” brethren @j_sizzle9 after getting a “special” Uber ride to Al’s (more to come on that in future posts) we were able to see the moment pairings were announced. Watch the whole video or you can skip to the juicy parts at 5:50. Snickerdog is clearly pumped for the chance at the GOAT and everyone was excited to see what happened on course.

The next day after some morning rain, the matches kick off. On the course Team THP and Snickerdog put up a good fight against Callaway’s two best trash takers after being down big at one point in the match. However, both matches ended in 2 & 1 victories for @JasonFinleyCG and @jeffneubarth .

Finally we get to the memory we are waiting for. After the win Jason and Jeff sent a message to THP regarding their beloved @Snickerdog . What they did was pure gold. From there Snickerdoodle was born and another THP legend succumbed to the wrath of Darth Finley.....I personally haven’t looked at a Snickers bar the same since this video. Just one of the many awesome moments in The Grandaddy. Make sure to follow our Grandaddy experience this December and tune in next week for another Grandaddy memory!

Great idea!

I have been hearing a LOT of Christmas is only X amount of days away conversation before we even get to Halloween. However, these people are right. Almost single digit weeks until the “Holiday Season”.

More importantly though, that means we are 8ish weeks away from The Grandaddy of Them All which is basically a holiday for THPers.

I had an idea of reliving some fun Grandaddy memories in the coming weeks to remind us of some of the best moments in Grandaddy history after a year away from it.

So starting this Friday I will post at least one memory from past Grandaddy’s that we can reminisce on.

For the first post of this thread I thought I would start with a recent memory we may all remember involving some members we all know and love.

The stage is the 2019 Grandaddy. We are on day 3 which is traditionally the first day of matches at The Hideaway. The 2019 version included a 9 hole shamble, 9 hole best ball and a horse race that didn’t count towards the event but was offering up a $250 Travis Matthew gift card to the winners.

To revisit this memory we need to go back 1 night previous to Dinner at Al’s house. Pairings were selected that night, and after months of back and forth banter between the two, Team THP selected @Snickerdog to take on @JasonFinleyCG . @JMB3 and @jeffneubarth were along for the ride in this heavy weight battle. However, Snicks couldn’t have known that he would be drowning in metaphorical milk.

When the pairings were announced there was a clamoring in the room. The evidence was damning for Snickerdog. Thanks to great camerawork all night at Al’s by fellow “izzle” brethren @j_sizzle9 after getting a “special” Uber ride to Al’s (more to come on that in future posts) we were able to see the moment pairings were announced. Watch the whole video or you can skip to the juicy parts at 5:50. Snickerdog is clearly pumped for the chance at the GOAT and everyone was excited to see what happened on course.

The next day after some morning rain, the matches kick off. On the course Team THP and Snickerdog put up a good fight against Callaway’s two best trash takers after being down big at one point in the match. However, both matches ended in 2 & 1 victories for @JasonFinleyCG and @jeffneubarth .

Finally we get to the memory we are waiting for. After the win Jason and Jeff sent a message to THP regarding their beloved @Snickerdog . What they did was pure gold. From there Snickerdoodle was born and another THP legend succumbed to the wrath of Darth Finley.....I personally haven’t looked at a Snickers bar the same since this video. Just one of the many awesome moments in The Grandaddy. Make sure to follow our Grandaddy experience this December and tune in next week for another Grandaddy memory!

Awesome thanks for recapping.

Ohhh this is a great idea!! I have a ball from Snicks that says "You've Been Snickerdoodled" on it! I will post it up when I get to my car for lunch :LOL:

Fantastic post and fantastic idea! (y)

4C48AB0D-2E77-4ECF-A9D4-EF51073ADE85.jpeg

Snickerdoodled

I love the idea of reliving these moments!

Such a great idea can’t wait for this to take off, way to start it off!

So unfortunately due to work, life, etc. I have neglected this......My sincere apologies......but I blame you guys for not coming at me with pitchforks;)

You people deserve these Grandaddy memories however so the show must go on. I missed 3 Fridays before todays memory (cringe). So to make up for that I am going to add in an extra couple of memories, and give you one Grandaddy memory EVERY SINGLE DAY next week. Whoop!

To get started again on this Friday I wanted to kick it back to what I understand is the Inaugural Grandaddy back in 2013!!

You can find the link to the thread here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/thegrandaddy-live-update-thread.52566/

I encourage you to check it out. Many of the pictures have expired, but regardless of that its amazing to see such an amazing event at its infancy. You can tell from @JB comments the Hideaway was already VERY special to him and he had dreamed of getting an experience out there. What took place blew THP'ers minds just like it still does today. So much is different from this thread to 2019 which shows how far this has come, and how amazing everything THP and Callaway does is.

The Grandaddy was dubbed, "the war to settle the score". There used to be other events Callaway hosted such as "The Gauntlet". It's my understanding that this event was created as a bit of a revenge tour for THP against Callaway. Team THP came in with plenty of Trash Talk and the buzz entering the event was amazing. Somewhere in the thread a forum member mentioned that how impressive the engagement on the thread was on a 66 page thread. To put that in perspective the 2019 thread had nearly 240 pages.

Team THP was lead by a member named Hawk. The rest of the faces aren't as prevalent anymore however, @TexasHacker34 who is still quite active here was on the squad so maybe he can share some insight into this years version of the Gdaddy.

The zoo crew was led by a guy name Harry Arnett. There were many familiar faces from 2019 on that team, including Darth @JasonFinleyCG himself when he was just a padawan. However, it was very clear that he was the Chosen One after he matched up with @TexasHacker34 in singles and won the match up 7!!!🙀 The Finley legend was born.

There was plenty of awesome trash talk as mentioned. You can see that here from a caricature made for the event....

Dreamteam_zpseaffab09.jpg

There were plenty of bright spots in this Grandaddy however the most memorable for me had to be Greg Sabella and his fishing pole.

Greg was Callaway Marketing Director at the time. He then moved onto SuperStroke and now works for a golf company in Carlsbad so he's not too far away from the action.

@JB was trash talking Greg and mentioned he may be on the injury report due to a concussion suffered, however Greg was very much able to golf....and fish.

Greg in what I thought was an attempt to rib THP on their pace of play brought out a fishing pole and casted out on the bodies on water at the Hideaway while waiting between shots. @GolferGal mentioned he may have caught a fish, and he was doing just fine taking it to THP'ers also. The reaction from the forum was priceless and i think this moment really made the Grandaddy even more memorable in it's first year.
ahutaqeg.jpg

If anyone has anything to share on this year's version feel free to include below. Like I mentioned I will be coming with fire all next week so stay tuned and learn a thing or two on Grandaddy History!

Until next time......

Fizzle

So unfortunately due to work, life, etc. I have neglected this......My sincere apologies......but I blame you guys for not coming at me with pitchforks;)

You people deserve these Grandaddy memories however so the show must go on. I missed 3 Fridays before todays memory (cringe). So to make up for that I am going to add in an extra couple of memories, and give you one Grandaddy memory EVERY SINGLE DAY next week. Whoop!

To get started again on this Friday I wanted to kick it back to what I understand is the Inaugural Grandaddy back in 2013!!

You can find the link to the thread here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/thegrandaddy-live-update-thread.52566/

I encourage you to check it out. Many of the pictures have expired, but regardless of that its amazing to see such an amazing event at its infancy. You can tell from @JB comments the Hideaway was already VERY special to him and he had dreamed of getting an experience out there. What took place blew THP'ers minds just like it still does today. So much is different from this thread to 2019 which shows how far this has come, and how amazing everything THP and Callaway does is.

The Grandaddy was dubbed, "the war to settle the score". There used to be other events Callaway hosted such as "The Gauntlet". It's my understanding that this event was created as a bit of a revenge tour for THP against Callaway. Team THP came in with plenty of Trash Talk and the buzz entering the event was amazing. Somewhere in the thread a forum member mentioned that how impressive the engagement on the thread was on a 66 page thread. To put that in perspective the 2019 thread had nearly 240 pages.

Team THP was lead by a member named Hawk. The rest of the faces aren't as prevalent anymore however, @TexasHacker34 who is still quite active here was on the squad so maybe he can share some insight into this years version of the Gdaddy.

The zoo crew was led by a guy name Harry Arnett. There were many familiar faces from 2019 on that team, including Darth @JasonFinleyCG himself when he was just a padawan. However, it was very clear that he was the Chosen One after he matched up with @TexasHacker34 in singles and won the match up 7!!!🙀 The Finley legend was born.

There was plenty of awesome trash talk as mentioned. You can see that here from a caricature made for the event....

View attachment 9043768

There were plenty of bright spots in this Grandaddy however the most memorable for me had to be Greg Sabella and his fishing pole.

Greg was Callaway Marketing Director at the time. He then moved onto SuperStroke and now works for a golf company in Carlsbad so he's not too far away from the action.

@JB was trash talking Greg and mentioned he may be on the injury report due to a concussion suffered, however Greg was very much able to golf....and fish.

Greg in what I thought was an attempt to rib THP on their pace of play brought out a fishing pole and casted out on the bodies on water at the Hideaway while waiting between shots. @GolferGal mentioned he may have caught a fish, and he was doing just fine taking it to THP'ers also. The reaction from the forum was priceless and i think this moment really made the Grandaddy even more memorable in it's first year.
View attachment 9043769

If anyone has anything to share on this year's version feel free to include below. Like I mentioned I will be coming with fire all next week so stay tuned and learn a thing or two on Grandaddy History!

Until next time......

Fizzle
I was missing these! This is one I didn't know about and am really glad I do now! Can't wait for next week!

View attachment 9043768

View attachment 9043769

Until next time......

Fizzle

The OG! My how the years have FLOWN by.

I remember not knowing at ALL what to expect. Keep in mind, this was the first one, and the details were sparse initially, just that it was "The Grandaddy of 'em all" vs. the Zoo Crew.

I will never forget being selected. I was actually driving from KC to Branson, to scout out a course for a THP Regional even in Branson. My phone rang, and it was none other than the legendary Ryan Hawk informing me I had been selected.

I legitimately had to pull over on the highway I was shaking so much.

The Zoo Crew has changed quite a bit as well since then, we played with some of the OGs - Harry, Hashtag Chad, Rhi, etc. The course was still incredible, the times were incredible, but this event has truly grown and evolved 10-fold, due to the hard work of both THP and Callaway.

What hasn't changed, is people still getting whooped by @JasonFinleyCG - One day I am going to get that rematch buddy :D

Any other questions just ask! I love talking Grandaddy

The OG! My how the years have FLOWN by.

I remember not knowing at ALL what to expect. Keep in mind, this was the first one, and the details were sparse initially, just that it was "The Grandaddy of 'em all" vs. the Zoo Crew.

I will never forget being selected. I was actually driving from KC to Branson, to scout out a course for a THP Regional even in Branson. My phone rang, and it was none other than the legendary Ryan Hawk informing me I had been selected.

I legitimately had to pull over on the highway I was shaking so much.

The Zoo Crew has changed quite a bit as well since then, we played with some of the OGs - Harry, Hashtag Chad, Rhi, etc. The course was still incredible, the times were incredible, but this event has truly grown and evolved 10-fold, due to the hard work of both THP and Callaway.

What hasn't changed, is people still getting whooped by @JasonFinleyCG - One day I am going to get that rematch buddy :D

Any other questions just ask! I love talking Grandaddy

Love and appreciate this insight!!

I have a question(s)! Lol

1. Did you all still get clubs and fit at ECPC and if so what did that look like in comparison to today?

2. The live update thread did a great job of covering the golf just like today. Any really funny stories that happened off course?

3. What’s it like playing against Finley?

View attachment 9043768

View attachment 9043769

Until next time......

Fizzle
This is awesome. That pairing video had me grinning for sure. 240 pages is so intimidating to read through, but I might have an early Saturday morning activity for tomorrow. I can't wait to follow this thing in December.

@Afizzle2100

1. Did you all still get clubs and fit at ECPC and if so what did that look like in comparison to today? Yes we did, however, the clubs weren't delivered until after the event. The biggest change is that you get them for the weekend, in our event, we didn't get them until a month or two after the event. The fitting was not really much different, we still got plenty of time with clubs and putters, and very attentive fitters.

2. The live update thread did a great job of covering the golf just like today. Any really funny stories that happened off course? Greg Sabella running into a glass door at dinner the first night was pretty hilarious.

3. What’s it like playing against Finley? A freaking GRIND. The dude makes birdies/pars out of bogeys and doubles. I will never forget him holing out from a bunker for birdie on the 9th hole of our Sunday singles match. The dude is the ultimate competitor and does it with a smile on his face.

The Grandaddy was amazing. Creating bonds, memories, and friendships every since it started.

The gear, the fittings, the competition, the freaking Hideaway...it's all so amazing - but the best part for me will always be dinner at Al's casa. The vibe in that room was something that can't be created, only enjoyed.

@JB just to add to something we talked about a few weeks ago, it is sad that most of the OG Grandaddy stuff is lost forever behind Tapatalk crap 😢
Yup. Terrible app that stole imagery. Fortunately some still lives.

One thing I will add.... Post Post Post.

Golf is important, but engaging the forum is moreso. I honestly think that is my only regret from the OG Grandaddy, I didn't post much. Looking back through the thread, it is very apparent, and something I won't ever be able to change.

Any event I ever am fortunate enough to play again down the road, I won't make the same mistake.

One thing I will add.... Post Post Post.

Golf is important, but engaging the forum is moreso. I honestly think that is my only regret from the OG Grandaddy, I didn't post much. Looking back through the thread, it is very apparent, and something I won't ever be able to change.

Any event I ever am fortunate enough to play again down the road, I won't make the same mistake.
Really appreciate you jumping in here and sharing what you have so far! Makes what Aaron is doing even more meaningful to have the guys he's talking about share insight and stories too!

Really appreciate you jumping in here and sharing what you have so far! Makes what Aaron is doing even more meaningful to have the guys he's talking about share insight and stories too!

Absolutely! I am an open book, I was fortunate enough to play in TWO of these things... I feel like I have a duty to talk about it :ROFLMAO:

Luckily, I like to talk

Back