Removing Driver ??

MikeF

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a bag dilemma

I have just ordered a Titleist U510 1 Iron, but my bag already contains 14 clubs

I need to remove a club to make room for it

Now my thinking is to take out the driver as to be honest, I don't really use it. Its only really in the bag to be used when a drop is needed

I use my 3 Wood primarily as my driver, and can adjust the loft down to 14.25 from 15*

I just know that I am going to get much more use out of the 1 Iron

Should I take out the driver and reduce the loft of my 3 wood (or keep it at 15)

What would you do?

The rest of my bag setup is in my signature

If you don’t use it take it out. You probably play a lot of links courses where a stinger 1 iron is more valued. Not sure about the 3 wood lofting. If you hit it well, leave it be.

If you’re not using it, leave it out...

If your setup calls for removing driver do it

I won’t do it

in the words of lee trevino, not even god can hit a 1 iron

Haha, I used to hit a blade 1 iron. It was my favourite club in the bag

Really looking forward to hitting a more forgiving one

Haha, I used to hit a blade 1 iron. It was my favourite club in the bag

Really looking forward to hitting a more forgiving one

well good luck to you sir!

Whoa! That’s next level ball striking (and as a side, who knew companies made 1 irons still?!)

I just made the move to take the driver out and use 3 wood off the tee until I can get it together with the driver. So, I say if you never use it, lose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just began using 3 wood as well. I have a strong 3 so it’s at 13.5 and I can turn it down more. Actually considered buying a regular 3 but I’m gonna try a shorter shaft in the driver first.

I don't see much difference in your 3wd at 14.25 vs 15 degrees distance wise but as others have said if you don't use it, lose it! :)

Take it out if you are not using it.... ....

I've taken it out now, ready for the new arrival

3 Wood is staying at 15* for now

I've hit that 510 16* and I think this idea sounds glorious. I'm a little jealous.

How do the distances (carry and total) of the 3wd and U510 compare?

No need to have driver if you can hit the 1 iron .. :oops: Leave the 3W as is and game on.

How do the distances (carry and total) of the 3wd and U510 compare?

That is to be determined, but I will be able to hit the 510 lower and get more run out if needed. I usually hit the 3 Wood high, so into a strong headwind it does loose distance some times.

The 510 should help with this especially if I can hit the stinger

Either way I can't wait to get it into the bag

No need to have driver if you can hit the 1 iron .. :oops: Leave the 3W as is and game on.

Lets hope I can hit this one then, my previous 1 Iron was a Ben Hogan Blade. It was like looking down at a knife with the head profile. I absolutely loved that club, but it was never the same after the shaft snapped and had to be replaced.

Technology has come a very long way since then though, so I have no doubts that I will be able to do what I want with the new one

I have a bag dilemma

I have just ordered a Titleist U510 1 Iron, but my bag already contains 14 clubs

I need to remove a club to make room for it

Now my thinking is to take out the driver as to be honest, I don't really use it. Its only really in the bag to be used when a drop is needed

I use my 3 Wood primarily as my driver, and can adjust the loft down to 14.25 from 15*

I just know that I am going to get much more use out of the 1 Iron

Should I take out the driver and reduce the loft of my 3 wood (or keep it at 15)

What would you do?

The rest of my bag setup is in my signature

I went for a year and a half were I put the driver away completely. I tee'd off with my Zing 2 iron or my Taylormade 3 wood and played to my lowest handicap ever. I got as low as 5.5 for a stretch. There are a couple very good players who I play with that don't even own a driver.

I toyed with a older RBZ stage 2 HL 3 wood this week and was amazed how far the ball carried, and how easy it was to get up in the air. I could easily play the club in place of the driver and I just might do it.

I'm bidding on a Taylormade M4 3 wood with 17 degrees on Ebay right now.

Lets hope I can hit this one then, my previous 1 Iron was a Ben Hogan Blade. It was like looking down at a knife with the head profile. I absolutely loved that club, but it was never the same after the shaft snapped and had to be replaced.

Technology has come a very long way since then though, so I have no doubts that I will be able to do what I want with the new one
The U510 is going to be a lot different than a blade 1 iron. I would call it a mini hybrid. I swung a few at PGA Tour Superstore. I hit my 4 wood about 210 and that is about how far I got the U510 to go when well struck. Enjoy it.

That is to be determined, but I will be able to hit the 510 lower and get more run out if needed. I usually hit the 3 Wood high, so into a strong headwind it does loose distance some times.

The 510 should help with this especially if I can hit the stinger

Either way I can't wait to get it into the bag

I'd get the 13.5 TS2 3 wood then and have some fun.

The driver must go. Good luck with the 1 iron!

I've hit that 510 16* and I think this idea sounds glorious. I'm a little jealous.

I need to hit it. I’ve had a Titleist 503h 2 iron in my bag for 13 years and it’s time for an upgrade.

I don't think a driver is for everyone. My nephew was telling me yesterday that his driver was holding his golf game back and he did not like to hit it. Said he hit 3w or 3h. I ask him how far he hit the 3h and before he could answer his brother said 260. I suggested he remove the temptation of the driver from the bag and work on his putting.

I'd get the 13.5 TS2 3 wood then and have some fun.

Thats not really an option, only just put the TS2 into the bag. I can knock it down .75* though if I need too. My 3 Wood usually goes around 235-250. If the 1 Iron goes 225 then I will be very very happy

I would take out the driver a reduce the loft of the 3w if you feel your launching the ball to high? Or if you need more distance off the tee.

Back