Removing putter grips - without damage

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
Swing grips I've always just cut off and discarded. Never tried to take a grip off and keep it useable.

quick searches lead to injecting solvent between grip and tape and twisting. I'm not sure how that would work with leather grips.
is an air compressor almost required?

Any other thoughts, tips or tricks?

If it was put on with traditional grip tape and you don't have the equipment to inject solvent, it can be done with an air compressor. It takes a while but I think I've had 100% success getting putter grips off with this method. I blast it with air and give it the old twist-and-wiggle and eventually it'll come loose.

PVC pipe with air compressor -- slow and progressive with the air pressure. PVC pipe helps hold in those expansive bubbles as the air starts to break the grip and free the grip. Can do it with hand but easier with the right size PVC pipe.

Little elbow grease but does the job.

that looks pretty useful. :unsure:
I have one and it works very well. The problem i have with leather grips is that air or this tool stretches the grip and since it’s leather it doesn’t bounce back. I will no longer remove anyone’s leather Putter grip or super stroke grip due to difficulty and likelyhood of making it unusable.

I have one and it works very well. The problem i have with leather grips is that air or this tool stretches the grip and since it’s leather it doesn’t bounce back. I will no longer remove anyone’s leather Putter grip or super stroke grip due to difficulty and likelyhood of making it unusable.

was kinda my worry with the leather. go to all this effort to try to save it, without much of a chance to. when it would just be quicker and easier to cut it off.

if You use an air compressor make sure you drop the pressure. Don’t use it jacked up to 95 psi like I use on an impact gun. Not that I have any first hand experience with such a fubar

I've not been successful in removing grips I cared about. I have a few Bettinardi limited that all came with limited edition leather grips, and each at Betti's compromise length of 34.5". Well, I'd like them all about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter, but don't want to have to sacrifice the grip, so I am playing them long and gripping down. Not ideal, I'm too attached to the original grip I guess.

I use a combination of a little older version of the Golf Works V Groove remover listed earlier and squirting some mineral spirits in the hole in the butt cap and then hitting it with air. Generally work the remover up from the bottom of the grip about 3/4 of the way up then use short burst of air and grip twisting to get it off.

Haven’t tried this yet, but for the stretching of leather add a little moisture, sprits not drown to allow grip to shrink if it stretched. Heat them slightly when going on and off to make them easier to work with.

I was able to salvage a rubber grip tonight using a 22 ga syringe and 2 ml of solvent. This was my first attempt to do this.

Once I got the needle in deep enough up near the butt cap, you could see the bulge progress down the grip. It slid right off.

I was able to salvage a rubber grip tonight using a 22 ga syringe and 2 ml of solvent. This was my first attempt to do this.

Once I got the needle in deep enough up near the butt cap, you could see the bulge progress down the grip. It slid right off.
If the needles anything like the Golfworks tips be careful not to break it off still in the grip.😄

Back