Removing set pw and playing another wedge

kc720

Reaction score
Handicap
2manyclubs
I know a few friends of mine are playing a traditional wedge in the pw spot. I am tinkering with a 46° wedge as well. I'm interested in the types of shots people play with a non set pw and whether they keep the stock wedge shaft or install a different shaft (consistency with other irons?)

My current dilemma is that I love kbs 610 wedge shafts and I have no issues full swinging the wedges. The pw for me is pretty exclusive full swing club for me (no chips or pitches). So I am wondering if the same shafts as irons might be better fit. Either way this will be a fun experiment

I would say it depends on how you use your PW (distance club or scoring club). If you use it for distance and just aiming for center of the green every time it's in hand, then go with iron shaft. If you use it to achieve a certain distance or take aim to make the shot within a certain yaardage from the pin, then go with wedge flex or wedge specific shaft. I know I use a speciality shaft for 46* and iron shaft for set PW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pw is anything from a chip/pitch club to knockdown from 50-110. I've contemplated the set pw for a 46* wedge that matches my other wedges.

I think someone looking to play a variety of shots would be able to benefit from a non set wedge

If I went with a non set PW, I would probably go with the same shaft I have in the other wedges. The PW is basically a full swing club exclusively for me so have never even considered going away from a set PW.

I know a few friends of mine are playing a traditional wedge in the pw spot. I am tinkering with a 46° wedge as well. I'm interested in the types of shots people play with a non set pw and whether they keep the stock wedge shaft or install a different shaft (consistency with other irons?)

My current dilemma is that I love kbs 610 wedge shafts and I have no issues full swinging the wedges. The pw for me is pretty exclusive full swing club for me (no chips or pitches). So I am wondering if the same shafts as irons might be better fit. Either way this will be a fun experiment

Considering the RTX3?

If you full swing the pw most of the time and like the current shaft, why are you changing? I play the same way, full swing it 99% of the time. It is my 125-140 club, it has my current iron shaft in it. I can't imagine a different setup given how I use it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

My RTX 3 wedges are so good that I was just considering yesterday playing a 4th wedge to replace my PW. Love the 765s and it's not a bad club for me but I just want more of a feel shot with spin when I have that higher lofted club in my hands.

That makes sense. I play blades in 8, 9, pw and I love how small the heads are and the feel they generate when I make solid contact. The hardest part about changing PW I think would be looking at a larger head knowing I'm going to make a full swing with it. Plus I have to imagine the different weighting would be something to get used to as well.

For me it always comes down to comfort and what feels the best. We know the mental aspect of this game is funny so anything to help overthink it is the way to go imo.

The times I have used a non set PW I've matched it to my other wedges for consistency and feel.

Considering the RTX3?
Yes indeed
If you full swing the pw most of the time and like the current shaft, why are you changing? I play the same way, full swing it 99% of the time. It is my 125-140 club, it has my current iron shaft in it. I can't imagine a different setup given how I use it.

I play z965 and it wouldn't be much of a difference going to rtx3. The way the rtx3 have worked for me it's wanting me to add as many as I can haha

That makes sense. I play blades in 8, 9, pw and I love how small the heads are and the feel they generate when I make solid contact. The hardest part about changing PW I think would be looking at a larger head knowing I'm going to make a full swing with it. Plus I have to imagine the different weighting would be something to get used to as well.

Funny thing. The set pw in z965 looks bigger than rtx3 iirc. I'll need to do a side by side comparison

So you want to get rid of the PW that came with the set but get a wedge that is about the same loft as the PW? Or a wedge that is more like a GW now?

I don't know if I could ever get rid of my PW. Over the years I've developed shots with that club from 140 to 100 yards in. Very useful club for me depending on wind and lie.

BTW, if you don't need that 945 PW anymore I'll come pick it up from you in June! :D

So you want to get rid of the PW that came with the set but get a wedge that is about the same loft as the PW? Or a wedge that is more like a GW now?

I don't know if I could ever get rid of my PW. Over the years I've developed shots with that club from 140 to 100 yards in. Very useful club for me depending on wind and lie.

BTW, if you don't need that 945 PW anymore I'll come pick it up from you in June! :D

You're always so helpful Nate!

You're always so helpful Nate!

Hey now, this might be a good experiment for me using his 945 PW to help me determine if I want to go combo next year!

Hey now, this might be a good experiment for me using his 945 PW to help me determine if I want to go combo next year!

945/765/U65. Just do it. You know you want to!

Not even sure why this is a debate. You only decision on combo is whether you want go be a big boy and hit 7 series in 3-5 irons :alien:

Didn't you just get a set of the 965's?

765/u65 23*. And yes kang and I discussed going to 46* RTX over using stock set pw. I'm thinking 46*.

I like my 10 iron so it stays in the bag for full swings and chips of appropriate length, but I just did the same thing with my AW. Swapped out the CF16 for an RTX-3 50CB and couldn't be happier. I use it for full wedge swings still to cover the 100-115 range, so I went with the same shaft as my irons. I also use it for knockdowns & partial shots from closer in when I don't want the high ball that my 54MB gives me. Spin is still fantastic, just not as severe as the 54 with a KBS Hi Rev in it.

Yes indeed

That's good. Then I can try yours before doing this myself.

Thanks for blazing this trail for others to follow

I have played with the idea of replacing my PW with a 46 degree Mack Daddy2 to match my other wedges. I kinda like the forgiveness I get with it though. For that reason my new set has a GW as well which might take my 52 out of the bag

I've recently done a fitting and got fit for the z965. I got fit into the same shafts for my RTX 3s as the 965. The only difference was flex in the 56 and 60. I have 6.5 PX LZ in my 52 and 6.0 in my 56 and 60. So I would recommend the same shaft if you go with the 46 in RTX 3. Even though they are virtually the same club

Back