Repairing Ball Marks

I did some very nice repair work this weekend on some ballmarks that were in my line. If I’m gonna pull the tool out to fix one of my marks, might as well get my money’s worth and do a few others at the same time. They never seem to be in short supply.

Last edited:
I rarely hit greens from far enough away to leave a mark, but I'll usually find one or two to repair anyway. And of course I do repair my own if I manage the rare GIR. I played this past Friday and it was disgusting how many unrepaired marks there were.

A timely reminder. Our greens looked pretty rough this weekend... also, I forgot my tool at home and used a tee for my morning round on Saturday - I much prefer using the two pronged version.

In 18 holes, I fix over 50 ball marks.
1. They annoy me
2. I'm usually waiting on my friends to reach the green for a minute or 3.
3. Karma - as soon as you do not fix a ball mark (knowlingly), there will be on on your line when you least want it to be
4. I've gotten free concessions from the course... usually a pop or a hot dog

I always make a point to fix my mark and at least 2 more while on the green. It just infuriates me when golfer don't fix their marks.

In every bathroom over every urinal is a pictorial of how to fix ball marks at my home club. No excuses !

I'm always fixing multiple ball marks on a green. What aggravates me are the ones that aren't so obvious, that, for whatever reason, are just a little "dent" that can still throw the ball offline on its way to the hole. For shorter putts it is not as much an issue as they are easily seen but on long putts one just can't spend the kind of time it takes to fix each and every imperfection along the line of the putt.

Amen. I always try to repair my ball mark and 1 other, assuming its nearby and I can do so without holding up play.

Every green I’m trying to repair 2-3 pitch marks if I can. Always mention it to playing partners mostly met with a grumble after.

We were complaining just last week about this. Playing as a two ball, we each repaired 5 or 6 ball marks on every green, and didn't even scratch the surface - why people don't do this as standard is just beyond me.

Played that 6:45 tee time... There were 4+ groups off before us... Ball marks a plenty.... It was rediculous how many were left in treated.

I must repair on average 3-5 ball marks on my home course’s greens every round. Very discouraging to see such laziness and disregard for maintaining a green complex for damage they have inflicted. I typically carry probably 5 extra repair tools that I have received over the years as free handouts and if I play with someone that makes no effort to repair their ball mark, I’ll flat out ask them if they want to borrow a repair tool as I have extras. They get the point, if not, they’ll either get a piece of my mind or will be their last round with me. I find most golfers are knowledgeable but some just need reminders occasionally.

It takes so little time and can make such a big difference the greens. I usually try to get at least 1 additional mark to mine, I think the golf karma gods are watching. Either they are really saving up for something big, or then aren't watching :(

Nice video. Like others, I try to repair at least one, but usually two other ball marks on every green.

The way I play a lot of the times, it feels like an honor to myself to get to fix the pitch mark, means that shot was probably better than most that day. I feel pretty lucky at our club as I usually only find 1, maybe 2 per green that were not fixed. Most of the golfers really want to take care of the course.

Always carry a divot tool, most of time I need it for my own Mark's, but use it to fix other marks.

I worked on a course when I was in college and this is a pet peeve of mine. I will fix as many ball marks as is reasonably possible on each green. It's sad how few actually repair them and the number who do it incorrectly.

I actually find it kinda of relaxing to fix ball marks. While I'm waiting for my partners to putt, I'm looking for the next mark to fix. Plus, it feels great when you find a crater of a mark and make it look flat again.

Played that 6:45 tee time... There were 4+ groups off before us... Ball marks a plenty.... It was rediculous how many were left in treated.
And the problem is that if they're left untreated and die, then they're ugly blemishes that are a lot more difficult to repair. It only takes a few seconds to repair one, it's amazing how many people don't do it.

And the problem is that if they're left untreated and die, then they're ugly blemishes that are a lot more difficult to repair. It only takes a few seconds to repair one, it's amazing how many people don't do it.
I gave up trying to fix a lot of them. I gave a good effort on them throughout the round

I think I can count on 2 fingers the number of times my ball has ever left a mark on a green... but I try to repair them and others.

always fix my pitch mark and make it a point to try and fix at least one other, but closer to 4-5 on every green. Was paired with a father / son on Wednesday and neither one fixed a pitch mark on the green or filled a divot in the FW the entire round... :mad:. Did my best to not be too obvious with the sand bottles and the divot tool antics... :cool:
I would have to make a point of being obvious when fixing the pitch marks. It’s just rude and inconsiderate of people. Especially a father & son.... proper teaching and golfing etiquette

I would have to make a point of being obvious when fixing the pitch marks. It’s just rude and inconsiderate of people. Especially a father & son.... proper teaching and golfing etiquette
Trust me.... it was obvious! 😇

Back