Requesting a curbside fitting consult please...

Cinco

Reaction score
Handicap
6.5 GHIN
Humbly asking for a bit of help while club fitters are closed. I got a new set of clubs which I love but I feel like they are too upright. I'm missing many shots left, worse with the shorter irons. Typically I'm 10-20 yards left of the green with a over draw or pull draw, but pin high, especially with GW, PW and 9 iron. Less draw and pull on 8-6, but definitely still significant. 5 also a draw but not as bad. 4 iron goes pretty straight with a slight draw.

This makes me think I'm too upright, and for more data, I hit off a lie board. I know there are some problems with a lie board but it definitely showed consistent heel down strikes with every club. I've attached a photo for an example.

I was wondering if you guys thought bending them 1.5 to 2 degrees flat would be too much? Or should I maybe bend 5-7 1 degree and 8-GW 2 degrees?

I don't think a fitting is in the future anytime soon because of COVID but getting them bent might be possible soon if I drop them off.

Would appreciate any help or insight you might have. Thanks again.
6cef652aa32e075e8e0974a1e701bd6b.jpg

I’m in no way shape or form suppose to be answering this but these look like heel shots.
You thought you were to upright, is this body position? Because the heel shots tell me your to flat, sitting on the ball, hands are to low.
I would think if you thought you or the clubs were to upright you’d be hitting them off the toe and I’m not sure a person can hit it left off the toe?
I could be completely wrong and sound like a jack wagon though.

Without having seen the actual swings, I'd feel better saying something with sharpie test results. Is that an option?

Without having seen the actual swings, I'd feel better saying something with sharpie test results. Is that an option?

I agree with this. More data the better. Will also help identify strike position on the face as additional data points

I agree with this. More data the better. Will also help identify strike position on the face as additional data points
Yes it's possible to do that. I can try that later today possibly. Thanks.

So just came off the range. Just hit about 40 balls, about 15 of them with a sharpie.

Such a huge difference compared to the Lie Board test! I can't believe how different they were. Sharpie marks on every shot were exactly straight up, most centered around the sweetspot, occasionally a little low. So clearly, it's not the lie angle, but my swing must be a little out to in or straight with a slightly closed to more closed face.

What I found is that when I put my ball back in my stance a little more, the flight straightened out much more and I was hitting the sweet spot more consistently (for the shorter irons).

I'm just curious what that means for the lie board test. I read that it may be unreliable but every fitter I've been to, including Club Champion has used that test.

Oh I did see this, but I was playing.

So in combination I'd guess it's a face issue, because my initial reaction yesterday to the lie board stuff was that the path looked okay on a couple, and pully on the other two where you're obviously coming across your body a little. But they're all drawing/hooking, so I'd bet you're rolling your wrist a little or a little early. Would make sense whyy you straighten out with the ball further back too. This is not my forte though. I'm just one of the only guys up at night, and willing to try to help. If you want to take a video of your swings I'm sure some of the guys here will give you some help. Maybe even more help than you want. :LOL: I'd try hanging onto your right wrist set a little longer or think about finishing more straight through and up. Kind of like a sand shot mentality. See what that shows you.

Oh I did see this, but I was playing.

So in combination I'd guess it's a face issue, because my initial reaction yesterday to the lie board stuff was that the path looked okay on a couple, and pully on the other two where you're obviously coming across your body a little. But they're all drawing/hooking, so I'd bet you're rolling your wrist a little or a little early. Would make sense whyy you straighten out with the ball further back too. This is not my forte though. I'm just one of the only guys up at night, and willing to try to help. If you want to take a video of your swings I'm sure some of the guys here will give you some help. Maybe even more help than you want. I'd try hanging onto your right wrist set a little longer or think about finishing more straight through and up. Kind of like a sand shot mentality. See what that shows you.
Thank so much for the lie board interpretation and the swing tips, I'll give it a try on my round tomorrow!

By any chance are the new clubs longer than your last set. If you choke down on the club how does your ball flight change?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

By any chance are the new clubs longer than your last set. If you choke down on the club how does your ball flight change?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I didn't measure my old clubs but they were ordered standard, like these, but I can try choking up and seeing how it changes things.

From the pictures they look slightly heel, yet what caught my eye was the out to in swing patterns. This could all stem from an alignment issue. Too hard to tell with limited info. You might try some different things to see what affects any changes that occur.

From the pictures they look slightly heel, yet what caught my eye was the out to in swing patterns. This could all stem from an alignment issue. Too hard to tell with limited info. You might try some different things to see what affects any changes that occur.
I also agree that it may be an alignment issue, as I did see some improvement when I put a stick down. But if it's not a fitting issue and a swing issue, the only way I can fix it is with some lessons...I definitely can't diagnose myself. Was hoping it would be a simple equipment fix, but it could even be a combo of both.

On the course today I hit my driver great, 12/14 fairways. Missed almost every approach shot left, pin high five to ten yards off the green.

So frustrating. Tried choking up, swinging up and thru like a sand shot, bringing the right shoulder down on my swing, rotating hips first...all the same flight pattern.

Thanks for all of your help everyone. Will head over for a lesson once we can do that in the NYC area.

I also agree that it may be an alignment issue, as I did see some improvement when I put a stick down. But if it's not a fitting issue and a swing issue, the only way I can fix it is with some lessons...I definitely can't diagnose myself. Was hoping it would be a simple equipment fix, but it could even be a combo of both.

On the course today I hit my driver great, 12/14 fairways. Missed almost every approach shot left, pin high five to ten yards off the green.

So frustrating. Tried choking up, swinging up and thru like a sand shot, bringing the right shoulder down on my swing, rotating hips first...all the same flight pattern.

Thanks for all of your help everyone. Will head over for a lesson once we can do that in the NYC area.
I hope you can get it figured out. I know how frustrating some of this can be.

I was chipping the other day on my home practice area and all of a sudden after about 50 balls I started hitting chips way right and I mean way right about 20 yards as if my arms completely went sideways somehow or aiming another direction. I could not figure it out at all and the harder I tried to fix it the worse it got. I thought something was going on with my chipping mat or my eyes were seeing the ball incorrectly.

Anyway the next evening I practiced and started off and it was great again and pitched/chipped about 50 balls, then all of sudden it happened again. This time I took a pitching wedge and swung it real slow and started chipping up to my target 10-15 feet to try to figure out what was wrong and all was well. Soon as I increased swing speed I hit it sideways again!

What I found out was for some reason during my swing I was hitting the heel of my wedges and the ball was shooting over to the right. I have never done this before or had anything like this happen.

I simply moved away from the ball some and made sure the wedge was properly placed behind the ball and as long as I maintain that all is good. What it made me realize was how important it was to go back and start small again to figure out what is going on.

I think this has to be the weirdest thing I have had happen yet in golf. Somehow I was changing my swing subconsciously without any knowledge or feel of it. It could have been I was tired, but who knows. Maybe my brain quit working for a bit.

So just came off the range. Just hit about 40 balls, about 15 of them with a sharpie.

Such a huge difference compared to the Lie Board test! I can't believe how different they were. Sharpie marks on every shot were exactly straight up, most centered around the sweetspot, occasionally a little low. So clearly, it's not the lie angle, but my swing must be a little out to in or straight with a slightly closed to more closed face.

What I found is that when I put my ball back in my stance a little more, the flight straightened out much more and I was hitting the sweet spot more consistently (for the shorter irons).

I'm just curious what that means for the lie board test. I read that it may be unreliable but every fitter I've been to, including Club Champion has used that test.

Lie boards are an awful fitting tool. If you go to a fitting and a lie board is used, be concerned. They give false positives/negatives and provide very little USEFUL information. On a good swing, we make contact with the ball BEFORE we make contact with the ground. The lie board tells us what the club was doing AFTER impact, which isn't really all that useful. Your ball flight is king when it comes to lie angle. The sharpie test is a good starting point, but your ball flight is the end all/be all. We aren't always after the "perfect" lie, as much as we are after the right ball flight. You should also be fitting each iron/wedge individually, not collectively. Often times your lie angles will change as you progress through your set. Just because your 6 iron is a specific lie, doesn't mean your wedge will be the same +/- .

"I also agree that it may be an alignment issue, as I did see some improvement when I put a stick down " It's very possible to setup with your feet square to that stick and have your shoulders closed. I've been struggling with the same problem you are having, pulling my irons 5-110 yards left pin high of target, and when I make sure my shoulders are square there is a big improvement.

Well, it's definitely not a lie issue. I happened to watch the golf digest video where Tiger Woods gives tips to amateur golfers and I identified two trucks that applied to me. Went to the range and hit nothing but straight shots.

I was pulling the golf shaft too far back in my take away which was making me do all kinds of weird timing compensatory moves and when I kept the shaft in front of my hands in the takeaway, the downswing went right in the slot every time. I just must have forgotten the feeling during the winter.

The great news is I got two positives from this experience:

1. Don't trust lie boards. Interestingly, Club champion did use this with me but I think they based most stuff on ball flight with trackman and just used it as a baseline. (I'm an opthalmologist and while a computer could tell you what prescription you might need we use that as a baseline and then subjectively tune your prescription from there). I think that's the same idea for lie boards.

2. I can now hit a straight shot, fade and a draw when I want to. Before it was straight or fade only.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for your help. Looking forward to consistently breaking 80 lol.

Well, it's definitely not a lie issue. I happened to watch the golf digest video where Tiger Woods gives tips to amateur golfers and I identified two trucks that applied to me. Went to the range and hit nothing but straight shots.

I was pulling the golf shaft too far back in my take away which was making me do all kinds of weird timing compensatory moves and when I kept the shaft in front of my hands in the takeaway, the downswing went right in the slot every time. I just must have forgotten the feeling during the winter.

The great news is I got two positives from this experience:

1. Don't trust lie boards. Interestingly, Club champion did use this with me but I think they based most stuff on ball flight with trackman and just used it as a baseline. (I'm an opthalmologist and while a computer could tell you what prescription you might need we use that as a baseline and then subjectively tune your prescription from there). I think that's the same idea for lie boards.

2. I can now hit a straight shot, fade and a draw when I want to. Before it was straight or fade only.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for your help. Looking forward to consistently breaking 80 lol.

Glad you got things figured out. I don't know why Club Champion uses lie boards, it's not a good practice because they give false positives/negatives. It's a 1 dimensional fitting tool that disregards way too many crucial points to be valuable.

Glad you got things figured out. I don't know why Club Champion uses lie boards, it's not a good practice because they give false positives/negatives. It's a 1 dimensional fitting tool that disregards way too many crucial points to be valuable.
Learned that the long way, thanks!

Humbly asking for a bit of help while club fitters are closed. I got a new set of clubs which I love but I feel like they are too upright. I'm missing many shots left, worse with the shorter irons. Typically I'm 10-20 yards left of the green with a over draw or pull draw, but pin high, especially with GW, PW and 9 iron. Less draw and pull on 8-6, but definitely still significant. 5 also a draw but not as bad. 4 iron goes pretty straight with a slight draw.

This makes me think I'm too upright, and for more data, I hit off a lie board. I know there are some problems with a lie board but it definitely showed consistent heel down strikes with every club. I've attached a photo for an example.

I was wondering if you guys thought bending them 1.5 to 2 degrees flat would be too much? Or should I maybe bend 5-7 1 degree and 8-GW 2 degrees?

I don't think a fitting is in the future anytime soon because of COVID but getting them bent might be possible soon if I drop them off.

Would appreciate any help or insight you might have. Thanks again.
6cef652aa32e075e8e0974a1e701bd6b.jpg

Without a video, curbside fitting is like stumbling around in the dark in a china shop.

There could be some issues that have crept into your swing that are causing your woes.

Without a video, curbside fitting is like stumbling around in the dark in a china shop.

There could be some issues that have crept into your swing that are causing your woes.
That's exactly what it was. Hit the nail on the head.

Back