Rescuing multilayer grips

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Hoping someone has some really good experience and tips on how to save these really PITA multilayer grips.

I love my Winn DriTac grips but their construction does not easily lead to being saved for reuse. Need to get mine off as they've plenty of life for this swingweight adjustment and don't won't to trash them.

Thinking of trying an old school method of the coat hanger and forcing it between the tape and grip then getting solvent between before air, tried solvent from the butt end then air but it's so slow i give up.

Don't bother answering if it's the standard trash it, I know that answer but I have another set I need to save as well so a good solution is needed.

Hoping someone has some really good experience and tips on how to save these really PITA multilayer grips.

I love my Winn DriTac grips but their construction does not easily lead to being saved for reuse. Need to get mine off as they've plenty of life for this swingweight adjustment and don't won't to trash them.

Thinking of trying an old school method of the coat hanger and forcing it between the tape and grip then getting solvent between before air, tried solvent from the butt end then air but it's so slow i give up.

Don't bother answering if it's the standard trash it, I know that answer but I have another set I need to save as well so a good solution is needed.
There is a tool you can buy, similar to the coat hanger method.

I don't know that it will leave them in a usable state though. Whenever I have used it on club grips, they tend to end up stretched out in spots. (using the tool and solvent method. Have had more success with it on putter grips.

Not a ton of help, sorry, just my experience trying it in the past.

I don't know that it will leave them in a usable state though. Whenever I have used it on club grips, they tend to end up stretched out in spots. (using the tool and solvent method. Have had more success with it on putter grips.

This ? GolfWorks V-Groove Grip Removers

Seems they explicitly call out Winn Grips as not being very suitable
"Note: The V-Groove Grip Remover may not work well with cord grips or Winn grips, grips that have under-listings or grips that do not stretch a bit."

"Note: The V-Groove Grip Remover may not work well with cord grips or Winn grips, grips that have under-listings or grips that do not stretch a bit."
Similar. The one I have is thick wire, folded over/looped at the end, with a handle. I suppose to avoid sharp edges.
1710951648811.png

Yeah, I've had similar experience with air getting some stretching, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too much of an issue if they last the rest of a season, just hate having to rip them and replace after one season when they're in good shape now.

Appreciate the feedback, seems like a potential brain thinking invention opportunity (those jumbomax are even bigger pains)

I've got that "V-Groove Grip Remover Tool", it's the GolfWorks one, and I've removed corded grips with it no problem (way easier to use than a coat hanger too). I've never tried it on Winn grips though. 🤷‍♂️

The wire tool may do the job. OTOH the top layer could split, then they’re trashed. This is why we always tell customers at the shop that we will attempt to remove them but it’s at their risk. No promises we can get them off unharmed.

I have never had any luck removing them. Possibly could be done with compressed air but not even 100% sure on that one.

Back