Reshaft or add extensions ?

sparkey67

Reaction score
Handicap
Earlier this year I built a set of Maltby TS-1 irons, 4 thru gap wedge using FST Pro 115 irons. I tip trimmed them starting at stiff + .25" up to X flex in the wedges.

I really like the setup as I'm back to hitting my 7 iron 160 yards. My problem is I tend to hit them thin on occasion. I originally trimmed them to 37" 7 iron length with a 5/8" difference going up and 3/8" on down to my wedges.

So here is the dilemma: Do I buy 8 new FST PRO 115 shafts or add extensions to the existing set ?

Is one way better than the other ? Would extensions screw up my swing weights?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I asked the same question during the THP live stream with Keenan from TT.

He said, as expected, to replace the shaft as extensions will reduce its properties.

That doesn't seem like much length tho, so to save some coin it could be worth it.

I would try one or two and see how you like it before spending for new shafts. Frankly you could probably put extensions in all your shafts for not much more than the price of one or two shafts.

Zero reason not to use extensions unless you are extending over 1 1/4 inches (which is my personal limit on an extension). Anything less than that is no problem.
Asking TT whether you should do this would be like asking a car salesman if you should buy a new car or fix the old one.
The swing weights will change, but they will change regardless of extending or reshafting so that should not be a consideration.

Extensions extensions extensions! Especially at that length. New shafts would be a crazy waste of money IMO. Don’t forget the knock on effect on lie angle 😊👍.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Back