Reshaft Or New Driver

TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
In full ponder mode of swapping out the shaft in my driver (Srixon Z 785 w/ MC Tensei Pro Orange 60 Stiff) or getting an entirely new driver. SS is about 120 and I recently got fit for irons with C-Taper X's, and this got me thinking that I may need to be playing an X in the driver as well. I hit my buddy's Mavrik with a Hzrdus Black 6.5 and it definitely added some yardage - I'm guessing this is from decreased spin. Naturally, there are a lot of intricacies regarding this, but would I likely see a big difference in performance between reshafting my Srixon vs. buying an entirely new driver with the same shaft? I'm willing to buy a new one, but would appreciate the savings if there's only a marginal difference.

Get a fitting and order the shaft best fitted to your game. Buying a shaft you think will work will sometimes end in buyers remorse.

The 785 is still a relatively new driver that you could find a demo at a store to try out a XStiff shaft to try before you buy.

Get a fitting and order the shaft best fitted to your game. Buying a shaft you think will work will sometimes end in buyers remorse.

Long-run, you're right. Probably worth it to pony up the cost for the fitting and know it'll work.

Unless you have the worlds smoothest swing at 120 you don’t have enough shaft.

Don’t discount the Pro Orange 70 X , it’s legit. Might be able to work out a horse trade here or elsewhere.

The HZRDUS Black in 6.5. is a spin killer as well. I’ve got an old Project X Black in 7.0. I can’t handle it anymore but combined with an M1 430 set at 5.5* and both weights center front track, I hit some BOMBS back when I had your CHS.

Long-run, you're right. Probably worth it to pony up the cost for the fitting and know it'll work.

I know several scratch skill level players, for example from a +, 0, 1 handicap, who have gone thru a fitting session (some, multiple sessions). I can't recall one of them ever sticking with the club and, or, shaft to which they were fit. There is no substitute for trying equipment on a golf course, as that is the only way to truly know the shots one produces with that equipment. Weather, lie types, ups and downs of a round of golf, pressure situations, transitioning during holes from putter to driver to iron to wedge etc.... are all factors influencing whether this or that driver is an ideal fit for the player.
From what you've written I would get a hold of an x-stiff shaft or two , assemble same to your Srixon driver head, and play rounds of golf. After playing some holes you will know which shaft is right for you.

I know several scratch skill level players, for example from a +, 0, 1 handicap, who have gone thru a fitting session (some, multiple sessions). I can't recall one of them ever sticking with the club and, or, shaft to which they were fit. There is no substitute for trying equipment on a golf course, as that is the only way to truly know the shots one produces with that equipment. Weather, lie types, ups and downs of a round of golf, pressure situations, transitioning during holes from putter to driver to iron to wedge etc.... are all factors influencing whether this or that driver is an ideal fit for the player.
From what you've written I would get a hold of an x-stiff shaft or two , assemble same to your Srixon driver head, and play rounds of golf. After playing some holes you will know which shaft is right for you.

Ahh, the THP “Buy One of Each” approach. Can’t fault it but I’d find something in X that at least fits my swing profile. There’s very different levels of them. Tip stiff. Butt stiff. 50g-100g. Some launch helpers, some to keep you from floating it into the wind.

Seems like too much spin is the issue which could be the result of too little shaft (my guess) or there could be a swing flaw that causes it. Could even be the ball. I know a low spin tour level ball (TourB RX or AVX) brought my driver spin down significantly.

I think this is your best bet. Sooo many factors when it comes to shafts and flex, swing speed just being one.

Go get fit, you will appreciate knowing you have what works best.

Ahh, the THP “Buy One of Each” approach.

Not really. If the OP is a 2 index he already has helpful experience and knowledge of the types of shots he produces with different shafts and flexes. Buying, borrowing or renting 2 or 3 shafts different from the one he is trying to replace should be sufficient to achieve his goal of altering his current driver shot results.
I think chasing launch monitor numbers is not nearly as helpful as playing rounds of golf and observing the shots.

Not really. If the OP is a 2 index he already has helpful experience and knowledge of the types of shots he produces with different shafts and flexes. Buying, borrowing or renting 2 or 3 shafts different from the one he is trying to replace should be sufficient to achieve his goal of altering his current driver shot results.
I think chasing launch monitor numbers is not nearly as helpful as playing rounds of golf and observing the shots.

I’ll take this to PM with you.

Good luck in your quest OP! I hope you figure it out.

That's a lot of clubhead speed, but even then, C-taper in X is a huge commitment to swinging all out on every shot.
I'd say be sure about that before moving forward. Not that what I did is applicable to everyone, but stiff in C-tapers paired nicely with very soft X flexes when I could put it out there. Lotta tour guys stop at S+ in the C-tapers even.

A heavier shaft in stiff like the Mitsu you're playing can be very valuable. Little more stable in the heavier weight, helps with tempo if you need it.
And its not so stiff that if you fatigue (real golf, not launch monitors) you can still load it and not struggle. I totally agree with
@DG_1234. We see a lot of "can't hit the clubs I was fit to" threads. There are reasons for that.
People often swing harder during fittings. Its human nature to try to impress. Then they end up with rebar they can't play on course, off real turf.

Isn't that a swappable shaft driver model?? Try another shaft. (y)Best of all worlds. You already know the head. See what a different shaft will do outside. I agree that will be as or more effective than banging away into some net.

That's a lot of clubhead speed, but even then, C-taper in X is a huge commitment to swinging all out on every shot.
I'd say be sure about that before moving forward. Not that what I did is applicable to everyone, but stiff in C-tapers paired nicely with very soft X flexes when I could put it out there. Lotta tour guys stop at S+ in the C-tapers even.

A heavier shaft in stiff like the Mitsu you're playing can be very valuable. Little more stable in the heavier weight, helps with tempo if you need it.
And its not so stiff that if you fatigue (real golf, not launch monitors) you can still load it and not struggle. I totally agree with
@DG_1234. We see a lot of "can't hit the clubs I was fit to" threads. There are reasons for that.
People often swing harder during fittings. Its human nature to try to impress. Then they end up with rebar they can't play on course, off real turf.

Isn't that a swappable shaft driver model?? Try another shaft. (y)Best of all worlds. You already know the head. See what a different shaft will do outside. I agree that will be as or more effective than banging away into some net.

Great feedback. Yes, I was quite surprised that I got fit to the C-Taper X, because going in I was pretty confident I would be set up with DG S400's. I tried to keep the 7-iron to my normal tempo and swing, but I could see some subconscious "need to impress the fitter" (even though he's a family friend, so he knows my game haha) extra effort coming into effect. I'm really eyeing up the Ventus, Hzrdus Green, or even stay with the Tensei Orange and just get the X flex. But I don't want to turn into a maximizer who's always tinkering to add 3 yards or drop 100 spin, so I see the merits in a fitting, but I've been fit before and feel like I've had better results tinkering on my own than with sticking with the fitting long-term. Not sure if this is because I outgrew a lot of the fitting recommendations over time (I'm 22, this iron fitting was my first fitting since 16 or 17, and I've grown quite a bit) or because the monitor doesn't translate to the course. The biggest issue is that not many shops have shafts with Srixon tips to try out.

I have a Black Tie 6M3 stiff that I played with my Cleveland Classic XL and the Z545. I can't even imagine it in an X flex.
I used to be the longest player in most any group I was in, and X flex got to be too much. A stout stiff was much easier to live with.
I had a set of i5 Pings with S400's and they too were too heavy and too much work, and I was lifting pretty heavy at the time and was a young man.
Tour Issue X100's were much more enjoyable as an iron shaft compared to S400 for me. I never did soft step the X100's but I think that would have felt wonderful at the time.

Your swing sounds a lot like @Tevenor’s. He was fit for the LIN-Q Purple 7F5 in February, which is a criminally underrated shaft for its price. If you are going the buy and try route, that may be a good place to start.

Your swing sounds a lot like @Tevenor’s. He was fit for the LIN-Q Purple 7F5 in February, which is a criminally underrated shaft for its price. If you are going the buy and try route, that may be a good place to start.

Interesting, I would have thought to consider that one. I'll look into it!

Interesting, I would have thought to consider that one. I'll look into it!
Take a look at the LIN-Q thread. @Tevenor just loveeeeeessssss telling everyone about his multiple 300 yards drives 🙄

Take a look at the LIN-Q thread. @Tevenor just loveeeeeessssss telling everyone about his multiple 300 yards drives 🙄

Much like Marilyn Monroe, if you got it, flaunt it. 😁 Doesn't help me putt any better. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Saw a deal on the Hzrdus Smoke Green "Hulk" 6.5 (not the tour 6.5, just the normal) on eBay and pulled the trigger. Worried it's a bit too much shaft for me, but I'll update when it comes in early next week.

Back