Reshafting Callaway x hot irons - question about hosel

mtiger10

Geaux Tigers
Reaction score
Handicap
Any THPers ever reshafted a set of Callaway XHot irons? There is a small black piece near bottom of hosel (see pics), does it have to be replaced like ferrules? Strictly cosmetic? When heating the hosel to pull shafts, did you notice any adverse effects?
849f9b6d45304200eac05d6db06a504f.jpg
6381b5b385e44379d243549faf106421.jpg

Bump for weekday crowd that's bored at work

You will want to apply heat more toward the area that the shaft enters the hosel. That bore-through plug is kind of a harder plastic so it doesn't melt super easily, but it will after a bunch of heat. Applying toward the top of the hosel should still give you plenty of heat to break down the epoxy and pull the shafts. Then proceed like any other reshaft.

Thanks, not worried about ferrules, those are easy to replace. I spoke with Callaway and they don't sell bore- through plugs so don't want to damage them. I will give it a try later this week

Just replaced the shaft on my wife’s Callaway Xhot sand wedge. When pulling the old broken shaft out of the iron head the heat necessary caused the bore through hosel plug to partially melt. I ended up taking it out and filling the hole with black tinted epoxy. Not quite as slick as the original plug but still attractive looking.

Couldn’t use a graphite bore through plug due to there being a brass plug stuck in the hosel. Not sure if the brass plug was part of the factory bore through plug or whether it was a tip weight. Regardless, the new graphite shaft fit over the brass plug/tip weight and seated correctly in the hosel.

Back