Reshafting Your Own Clubs

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
I'm curious about what is involved when it comes to reshafting your own golf clubs. Is it something I can learn or as I'm a noob should I have a pro do the work?

Check out THP TV on YouTube under THPGolf
I bet we have 10 videos with instructions on there. Not too hard at all.

Check out THP TV on YouTube under THPGolf
I bet we have 10 videos with instructions on there. Not too hard at all.

Thanks, JB. I will check them out. Appreciate your help. :thankyou:

I'm going to be attempting the same thing, I'll have to brush up on that video knowledge also.

It’s easy once you do it a couple times. If you have some old clubs you might practice pulling the heads on those first

I'm curious about what is involved when it comes to reshafting your own golf clubs. Is it something I can learn or as I'm a noob should I have a pro do the work?
Steel, you really can't screw up. Worst case scenario, you're pulling them and trying again.

Graphite? Totally different story. Needs a straight pull to avoid destroying the shafts.

Nothing hard about it. Just make sure you have some tip weights and a swingweight scale on hand so you can get the swingweight correct.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nothing hard about it. Just make sure you have some tip weights and a swingweight scale on hand so you can get the swingweight correct.

***optional :ROFLMAO:?

I had no problem picking it up 4 or 5 years ago. Just watched some THP and YouTube videos and was surprised just how easy it was.

***optional :ROFLMAO:
Hahaha... yeah it is. First couple sets I did ended up covered in lead tape.

Hahaha... yeah it is. First couple sets I did ended up covered in lead tape.
I think it gets a bit crazy unless you are trying to get universally head heavier.

For all the sets I've built in my basement (read: A lot), I've never bothered to swing weight and I cannot notice a difference between them and stock offerings.... outside of some of the stock offerings being stupid heavy with loads of weight in each head.

I think it gets a bit crazy unless you are trying to get universally head heavier.

For all the sets I've built in my basement (read: A lot), I've never bothered to swing weight and I cannot notice a difference between them and stock offerings.... outside of some of the stock offerings being stupid heavy with loads of weight in each head.
I play my irons a bit on the heavier side (D5.) So without using tip weights, they require a few layers of tape across the back. The tape look doesn't bother me. But since I have the tip weights and the scale, why not make them right. Some people definitely Can't tell the difference in swingweights and aren't affected by differences. Unfortunately I am.

I just did my first set, installed some Oban CT shafts in Epon AF505 heads. I enjoy the tinkering, and on a few swings into my garage net no heads have flown off! Will get these beauties to the range tomorrow afternoon, can’t wait.

Some great videos and THP videos on it.

i highly recommend it

do some of my own work myself and works pretty good

I never thought about swing weight. I'm going to be installing graphite shafts, is there any special prep I need to do?

If you're thinking just for the extracting and installing shafts. Won't be hard if you're handy around the house .
Requires very little tools and equipment.
If you're thinking of the basic fitting to get the right set up.... it requires a little knowledge and the basic understanding of the rules of physics. However, you can always ask question and the experienced members will help you out.
Start with changing the golf grips, that's the easiest part. then you can progress to extracting the steel shafts. Don;t need an extractor for removing the steel shafts but be careful, I'd known people bent the tip while removing the steel shafts without using a tool.
Be careful working around chemicals and the fire ( propane torch). safety first.

I just did my first set, installed some Oban CT shafts in Epon AF505 heads. I enjoy the tinkering, and on a few swings into my garage net no heads have flown off! Will get these beauties to the range tomorrow afternoon, can’t wait.

Off topic but which CT shafts did you put in them and how do you like them?

Steel, you really can't screw up. Worst case scenario, you're pulling them and trying again.

Graphite? Totally different story. Needs a straight pull to avoid destroying the shafts.

This. Steel is just about the easiest thing in the world. If you feel like messing a few up though, just make sure to have extra ferrules if you end up ruining a few of those haha

Off topic but which CT shafts did you put in them and how do you like them?
CT115 R+ shafts; two range sessions and 2 rounds in, and really, really pleased. Hard to describe the feel, not smooth the way a Nippon feels but not at all harsh (dense is the word that comes to mind), but most importantly, they just seem to want to go straight unless I really try to work the ball.

Reshafting or building clubs is something I would love to know how to do( for my own use that is). I will try some day!

This. Installed a set of graphite shafts for the first time (I've done driver shafts before) on a set of irons. Pulling and installing wasn't too bad but the swing weights were all over the place. I had a scanned but no tip weights.

As has been said, steel is easy. Maybe not the easiest thing in the world, but one of the easiest things in the golf world, that's for sure.

Graphite is a bit more tedious and needs more precision. Find a decent puller or fab up the one that was posted here a while back. I can't remember who it was, but I think it was either @badolds or @chefkritter.

There are plenty of us here who've built dozen, hundreds, or maybe more of our own that will help you if you have questions.

Back