Rest in Peace Bonne.

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Well, I had an overheating problem yesterday with 2003 Bonneville SSEI. Fanciest vehicle I've ever owned. Powerful, leather seats, a myriad of gizmos. I'm a not a car guy, have never really worried too much about what I drive as long as there was room for my rotundity, but I've enjoyed this car a lot. I put about $1,500 into this car about six months ago, and when they checked it today they found all sorts of leaks, suspension problems, the AC is shot, and it will soon need tires. Over $3K worth of needed work. She's well past middle age from what I understand for this model vehicle with 160,000+ miles on her. Supposedly this model was known for having problems, though mine treated me well.

So it's time to put her down. I'll be donating it to The Ranch. That way someone can learn something working on her, and because I like Bart Starr, and he and his wife Cherry are big The Ranch supporters.

So I'm in the market for a used car. While I like fairly roomy sedans, I'm thinking about just buying a used reliable brand. Honda and Toyota were highly recommended by my mechanic. Would like to spend maybe $15K for a sedan or small SUV with at least reasonable mileage, though I don't know what's considered reasonable for which brand at that price point. My wife has been reading good things about Suuuubbbbaaaarrrruuuuuus.

I'm open to suggestions.

Kevin

Sorry for your loss Kevin

Buick LaCrosse - lotta car for the money and comfortable - and pretty dang good mileage...

The lacrosse is a good choice. A grand cherokee is another good one. I might be biased since I have one haha.

Subaru's are great cars and are overrunning colorado at this moment. The majority of people have one here it seems.

I recently purchased a Volkswagen Passat for the kids to drive. Read a ton of reviews, seems to be pretty reliable and safe. Best of luck in hunting for the next pseudo golf cart.

rotundity lmao

RIP Bonne. Subarus are pretty fast 4wd thingies...dunno about being roomy though. I've only been in the impreza and the croc dundee outback thingy.

Well, I had an overheating problem yesterday with 2003 Bonneville SSEI. Fanciest vehicle I've ever owned. Powerful, leather seats, a myriad of gizmos. I'm a not a car guy, have never really worried too much about what I drive as long as there was room for my rotundity, but I've enjoyed this car a lot. I put about $1,500 into this car about six months ago, and when they checked it today they found all sorts of leaks, suspension problems, the AC is shot, and it will soon need tires. Over $3K worth of needed work. She's well past middle age from what I understand for this model vehicle with 160,000+ miles on her. Supposedly this model was known for having problems, though mine treated me well.

So it's time to put her down. I'll be donating it to The Ranch. That way someone can learn something working on her, and because I like Bart Starr, and he and his wife Cherry are big The Ranch supporters.

So I'm in the market for a used car. While I like fairly roomy sedans, I'm thinking about just buying a used reliable brand. Honda and Toyota were highly recommended by my mechanic. Would like to spend maybe $15K for a sedan or small SUV with at least reasonable mileage, though I don't know what's considered reasonable for which brand at that price point. My wife has been reading good things about Suuuubbbbaaaarrrruuuuuus.

I'm open to suggestions.

Kevin

Hey Kev, I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. Very roomie, great gas mileage,averaging about 530 miles for a full tank and 32mpg. Also, the nicest car I,ve ever owned.

Sad to hear. Subaru is a great vehicle but also check out Mitsubishi I've had my rally art for almost 9 years and drove all across north america with it and only fixed the brakes and suspension this year very reliable.

Go find a used Subaru Justy.

Former 2003 Forrester owner. In 2010, I'm told the crankshaft seized.

I had been on a golf trip, and actually picked up a new Accord from a dealership to replace an elderly Accord, Forrester was our second vehicle. I got a friend who was on the trip to drive the Subaru back, I took the Accord. Enjoyed it for 2 hours, until I laughed at the poor bugger walking away from ...a dead Forrester. Pulled over, he told me it just "made a noise and stopped".

AWD decorative planter time. I had checked oil a few days before, and from what the mechanic was able to tell me that wasn't the cause. All maintenance done religiously.
What he also said was that he'd seen maybe a half dozen cases of it happening with Subarus in the previous few years. That's not a lot, but there aren't all THAT many Subarus on the road here and there's certainly far more than one garage.

Maybe it was the model, maybe just bad luck, maybe pixies locked it up. But it will be a very long time if ever before I try one again.

Go find a used Subaru Justy.

I'm checking out BMWs on Carmax as I type this. I heard they're very reliable and if they do need work it's very affordable.

Kevin

I'm seeing prices online for Accords vary greatly, and that there are about 17 different Accord models. This is annoying to me.

Kevin

if you dont have to have 4WD and need a good reliable transportation appliance, look at the Toyota Avalon. Above average comfort, decent price for the used ones, and they just flat run forever. Good mileage too. My wife's 06' would get 30-ish on a regular basis. Pretty blahse overall, but it's one thing you wont have to worry about for awhile. Change the oil, put blue washer fluid in it, and get new tires when it needs it.

Good luck with your hunt

I'm checking out BMWs on Carmax as I type this. I heard they're very reliable and if they do need work it's very affordable.

Kevin

They are sir, just make sure when you do purchase one you get the cheapest 3 series you can. Just don't mention the number when you tell everyone you driver a bmw.

Whatever model you choose, 15k should be plenty for a Certified Used car from a dealership. I'd start there for the peace of mind.

I bought all of my presently owned cars Certified, wouldn't go any other way (G37x, Suburban, Civic).

If you go this route, just make sure the car's factory certified and not just dealer certified.

SUBARU is the way to go. my car is my great-grandma's old car, has 210k miles and still runs strong. my dad's friend has 4 subaru wagons in his family and they all are over 300k miles, and running great. they're nice because you can easily swap out bad parts or engines or trannys without much problem. and they look good :)

SUBARU is the way to go. my car is my great-grandma's old car, has 210k miles and still runs strong. my dad's friend has 4 subaru wagons in his family and they all are over 300k miles, and running great. they're nice because you can easily swap out bad parts or engines or trannys without much problem. and they look good :)

Yah Subaru's look awesome.....

Spoiler
If you're 80 or a soccer mom

They are sir, just make sure when you do purchase one you get the cheapest 3 series you can. Just don't mention the number when you tell everyone you driver a bmw.

I was kidding. I thought you hated BMWs. Maybe I recall incorrectly.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to line up some options. Thinking about doing some test driving of Camrys, Accords, and Subarus over the next day or so. There are a ton of Camrys for sale locally, and I want to get a pretty good idea of what I can get for what price, then talk to a friend of mine.

Kevin

I was kidding. I thought you hated BMWs. Maybe I recall incorrectly.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to line up some options. Thinking about doing some test driving of Camrys, Accords, and Subarus over the next day or so. There are a ton of Camrys for sale locally, and I want to get a pretty good idea of what I can get for what price, then talk to a friend of mine.

Kevin

I was kidding too and I do hate BMW's.

I was kidding too and I do hate BMW's.

Dude you just beat Esox at his own game. Sarcasm.

I had a 01 Bonnie and man did that thing get me around! Reliable. Wish I wouldn't have crashed it.

Jesse

Dude you just beat Esox at his own game. Sarcasm.

I had a 01 Bonnie and man did that thing get me around! Reliable. Wish I wouldn't have crashed it.

Jesse

I know it felt pretty good!

I'm open to suggestions.

Kevin

Buy American. Chev Equinox is an SUV that gets 34 mpg on hwy. any Chev Impala or Malibu will get you 30 mpg + also. Plus you can't beat the certified warranty. I sell cars and have been for 12 years. Its what I do. lol So if you have any questions I can help you with, just ask.

Buy American. Chev Equinox is an SUV that gets 34 mpg on hwy. any Chev Impala or Malibu will get you 30 mpg + also. Plus you can't beat the certified warranty. I sell cars and have been for 12 years. Its what I do. lol So if you have any questions I can help you with, just ask.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. But I think I'll be trying something other than "American."

Kevin

Back