Resting on your laurels....er...heels.

pinseeker

"Non renunciare mai quello che desideri"
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
It seems as though no matter what conventional wisdom dictates, you can always find a dissenting view by simply entering a keyword or two in a search box.

Sometimes I go out to the backyard to practice and happen to be wearing cowboy boots with tall, Cuban heels. When I do this, I often have better impact especially with irons and am able to better compress the ball. It has been stated that one should have the weight on their heels rather than the toes and by taking an athletic posture with weight well forward on the balls of your feet is considered the opposite of what one should do.

So just out of curiosity, I took to the internet and "binged" it and the first article that popped up was by a PGA teaching professional explaining in detail how to properly set up. He submitted photos of some of the greats such as Payne Stewart, Lee Trevino, Jack Nicklaus, Johnny Miller, Hale Irwin stating that these swings were "Old School" and different from modern day swingers even citing physical problems that many had as a result of their swings. Nicklaus for example, has an artificial hip. The article was well done and sounded quite plausible, albeit, flying in the face of what we have been told for years.

I try and keep open mind, but at the same time I realize that every individual sooner or later discovers what works best for him/her. Conventional Wisdom is an oxymoron, or so it would seem.

I read something from some ancient golf pro. His stance instruction was to set up to the ball like how a gorilla would stand. He called it a "gorilla stance". A catching phrase back then I suppose.

He even went so far as saying that since a gorilla is flat footed, that a golfer should distribute their weight evenly from from their toes to their heels. This on all normal shots from level turf.

His instruction sounded plausible, and I adapted to it in my own way.

When I finally started taking an "in person" lesson, the pga instructor told me I already had a great set up to the ball. I proudly announced to him that it was my "gorilla stance". Yeah, he looked perplexed.....He did agree, that at address, the weight should be evenly distributed from heel to toe, that the weight shift during my swing would automatically take care of any front to back weight shift in my feet.

Ever since reading about gorillas, and golf, I've often thought about just how far a gorilla, with a great swing, could drive the ball.......

Here's the problem with teaching a gorilla to play golf:

There were two men who played golf together frequently. One was several strokes better than the other. The lesser player was very proud, and never wanted to take any strokes to even up the game. One Saturday morning, he shows up with a gorilla at the first tee. He says to his friend, "I've been trying to beat you for so long that I'm about ready to give up. But, I heard about this golfing gorilla, and I was wondering if it would be alright if he plays for me today. In fact if you're game, I'd like to try to get back all the money I've lost to you this year. I figure comes to about a thousand bucks. Are you willing?" The other guy thought about it for a minute, and then decided to play the gorilla. "After all, how good could a gorilla be at golf?" he thought. Well, the first hole was a straightaway par 4 of 450 yards. The guy hits a beautiful tee shot, 275 yards down the middle, leaving himself a 6 iron to the green. The gorilla takes a few powerful practice swings and then laces the ball 450 yards, right at the pin, stopping about 6 inches away from the hole. The guy turns to his friend and says "That's incredible, I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. But, you know what, I've seen enough. I've got no interest in being totally humiliated by this gorilla golfing machine. You send this frigging gorilla back to where he comes from. I need a drink; better make it a double, and I'll write you a check." After handing over the check, and well into his second double the guy asks, "By the way, how's that gorilla's putting?" The other guy replies, "Same as his driving." "That good, huh?" "No, I mean, he hits putts the same way - 450 yards, right down the middle!"

source: http://jokes4us.com/sportsjokes/golfjokes/gorillagolferjokes.html

Here's the problem with teaching a gorilla to play golf:

There were two men who played golf together frequently. One was several strokes better than the other. The lesser player was very proud, and never wanted to take any strokes to even up the game. One Saturday morning, he shows up with a gorilla at the first tee. He says to his friend, "I've been trying to beat you for so long that I'm about ready to give up. But, I heard about this golfing gorilla, and I was wondering if it would be alright if he plays for me today. In fact if you're game, I'd like to try to get back all the money I've lost to you this year. I figure comes to about a thousand bucks. Are you willing?" The other guy thought about it for a minute, and then decided to play the gorilla. "After all, how good could a gorilla be at golf?" he thought. Well, the first hole was a straightaway par 4 of 450 yards. The guy hits a beautiful tee shot, 275 yards down the middle, leaving himself a 6 iron to the green. The gorilla takes a few powerful practice swings and then laces the ball 450 yards, right at the pin, stopping about 6 inches away from the hole. The guy turns to his friend and says "That's incredible, I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. But, you know what, I've seen enough. I've got no interest in being totally humiliated by this gorilla golfing machine. You send this frigging gorilla back to where he comes from. I need a drink; better make it a double, and I'll write you a check." After handing over the check, and well into his second double the guy asks, "By the way, how's that gorilla's putting?" The other guy replies, "Same as his driving." "That good, huh?" "No, I mean, he hits putts the same way - 450 yards, right down the middle!"

source: http://jokes4us.com/sportsjokes/golfjokes/gorillagolferjokes.html
I know a young man like that. He hits drives well over 300 yards everytime, and rarely does he land in the rough.

A few years back, he even won a junior long drive competition.

He can't pitch, chip or putt to save his life. His Grandpa (my cousin) has tried everything to help him with his short game. Finesse is just not in his wheel house.

Back