Retired numbers....

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m seeing that occasionally sports teams are allowing new players to use uniform numbers that have previously been retired. What retired number (possibly from your favorite team - though not necessarily) would you have a fit about - should they let it be “used” again...???

The Yankees should NEVER allow 3) Ruth, 4) Gehrig, 5) DiMaggio, 7) Mantle and 8) Berra be used again. In football....19) Unitas for the Colts and 40) Sayers for the Bears are “no-no’s.” Some are just TOO special!

Who's wearing a retired number?

I’m not a huge believer in retired numbers. Plaques, monuments, statues all work.

If there is one number that should be retired and stay retired...it’s this one...

80f0d1eb4ae0f65f81a8efe2a7708660.jpg

Who's wearing a retired number?
I believe Dwayne Haskins wore Theismann’s retired number during his time in Washington.

The football Cardinals have allowed a couple of numbers to come back into play. A couple of years back the Redskins let that Ohio State QB wear Theisman’s #7. I’ll bet they regret doing that!

And....when Peyton Manning went to the Broncos a few years back - they got permission to use 18 again from a QB they had back in the 60’s.

The Celtics have so many retired numbers they might have to do that. For the Bruins nobody should ever wear 4 again.

Back