retirement and golf

U_of_Bucky

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently sold my farm. 3600 acre three family three-generation farm. We did retain 200 plus acres of irrigated Jack O Lantern pumpkins which will keep me busy from Late September through the third of October. We ship 220 semi loads of pumpkin which has 56 pallets with 35-40 pumpkins of cleaned, graded pumpkins per pallet. I post pictures the readers have an interest.

I now have time to devote to golf. I live in a condo on a golf course. We have an excellent driving range which I joined for $100. I spend 2 hours per day hitting a pyramid of balls ranging from full swings of each of my 13 clubs, focused wedge shots, putting practice, rescue flop shots, and bunker play.

Health is a goal. I have another 40 pounds to lose, 25 pounds gone since April 15th, I walk daily with a pushcart. 17,770 steps of golf per day.

The great part is I have now the ability to move the ball left, right, or straight. Have gained two clubs in distance, and have a reliable short game. I am 67 years old and can now drive the ball 250 to 270 with a wonderful draw. AFTER 55 YEARS IT FINALLY HAPPENS! I have not been bellow 6 over since May and broken par numerous times. My short game is reliable. Three putts are a rarity with 30 or fewer putts per round.

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN/? RORY McIlroy says if he only had the time to devote to golf the average 40 hours per week a golfer with a job had he would shoot in the mid-eighties. Golf is a game of practice and repetition. My best rounds are after a solid 2 hours of focused range work.

I just came off the range trying out the Moe Norman single plane swing theory. That would be a project in progress, but devoting an hour of range time to the swing change was truly a delight.

Golf has become a quest, entertaining, and goal-seeking. The range experience or playing is GREAT.

BTW I am more like TY in CADDIE SHACK than a league golfer. I have become an enigma within my public course membership. I golf 95% percent alone, (by choice). The members, when they request I play though, chide me to drive the ball through rather than just skip the hole. I ask them to call the shot and try to please. So far I am 100% in the challenge. It's fun creating an illusion of infallibility. Not true! It is an illusion opportunistically projected!

Back to the original post title. Retirement has helped me realize my golf goals. The bittersweet reality I am 67 years old. I have noticed my distance and flexibility diminish. My short game is still good. BUT I HAVE SEEN JACK NICKLAUS PLAY AT THE AMEICAN FAMILY SENIOR EVENT. He is a shell of his former self. He is 80 years old. How many quality years do I have left fo my self imposed standard of golf? Gary Player is older and still plays well, but he is an obsessive gym rat.

My solution may be parallel to the Golden Bear. I am toying with taking up fly fishing. Another singular sport requiring physical skill refinement, the allure of perfection, (which is impossible), but has achievable self-described goals.

Please excuse the long post. Is there a number of THP posters that have been in the same self-reflection stage I am in? A new stage of life for me. I hope to tread lightly and with a degree of enthusiasm!

First off congratulations on retirement. Second, I am turning 40 in a week and a half and I have been super reflective about family, friends, work, life, etc. I can easily see how midlife crises erupt during this time, but my reflection thankfully has led me to fully appreciate the life I have been blessed to live. There have been a couple of times recently where I just started crying because I am so happy about my wife, my children, our family and friends, my job, etc. I wish I had more time to play golf, but I still have a couple of teenagers to launch into their own journey and then a few more years of work before I have the time you have now. Enjoy it my friend and don't think too much about when or how it will all end. That sucks some of the enjoyment out of the moment IMO.

Great story! I'm a mostly solo player also, the only downfall for me is I have a hard time getting on courses as a single who wants to play as a single.

Golf and retirement - something I have thought about often. I am going on 66 and thinking about retiring, yet my job is not hard and the folks I work with are the best. I may retire in spring of 21 and just work part time for the company which might give me the best of both worlds.

The thing is for me I already devote a lot of time to golf. I really only started about a year and a half ago. I practice daily, play several times a week, and I am not sure I desire to devote the majority of my retirement time to golf. Something about the game is magnetic though and hard to explain that magnetism. I have done a lot of things in my life and when I put the majority of my focus on them they become too much like work and not nearly as much pleasure. As some would say, it is the journey.

I do like achieving what some might consider tough to reach goals and have pretty much done that with most everything I set forth to do. I went from about a 24 HCP around the first of the year to around 16 now. My PB so far is 82. I increased my swing speed from around 85 to now averaging 95-98 with the driver. I went from driving around 185 to now average of 230ish. Longest ever drive 281 total. I developed a somewhat decent chipping game and also a fair putting game. My goal was 15 HCP and I am so close to that, yet still seems distant to me.

What I consider (not fully sure what that is at this point - maybe par?) good golf is one goal that at my age I am not sure it is achievable to the degree my mind and age demands. I think that is why I am somewhat hanging in there with it, but not sure I want to make golf my retirement "career" activity. I do it primarily for the exercise and challenges it presents to me and so far I have not been bored out of it yet.

I know a number of retired golfers that play 3-5 times a week, but I don't see them working much on their game like you have. They seem to just devote their golfing time to on course playing and some are not bad at all. One guy I know is in his 70s and a solid 9 capper. Heck I rarely, if ever, see them on the range at all, except maybe just before a league game.

Anyway just sharing some thoughts here. I do hope you enjoy your retirement time as it seems it is well deserved. It seems you have great ability with a golf ball. I hope you can play and enjoy golf as long as you desire to do so.

I’m 65 and retired 4 years ago today due to a back injury. I played golf from the age of 10 and broke 70 for the first time at age 18. In my 30’s, my job took me away from my golfing buddies and left me less and less time to play and practice. Golf got expensive and courses were crowded. Playing infrequently kept me from playing at the level I was used to. I pretty much gave up the game and took up fishing. Many years later, after my back surgery, I wanted to play again but didn’t know if my back would allow me to. Last month I played for the first time in 15 years. I’ve become obsessed. Muscles I haven’t used in a long time are sore but after buying new (used) clubs, shoes, a practice net and a new bag, I’m hitting balls every day trying to get back to something resembling the game I used to play. I’m being careful with my back, taking things slowly. I’m starting to get my swing back and have a lot of work to do to get back some of the length I’ve lost. I’d forgotten how much I loved to play I intend to keep playing and practicing as long as my health and bank account will allow me.

For me, balancing golf in my retirement is the most important part. Other than my Wednesday senior scramble and my Saturday morning with the boys, I never have a plan that includes golf. My wife asks me every morning if I’m playing golf. I always say what on our agenda. If her plans don’t include me, then I get dressed and head to the golf course for a morning round/practice. If some of the guys are there, I join them. If not, I play alone which I have really come to love.
In the spring/fall I enjoy being part of the push cart mafia. Summertime is just too hot/humid so I cart it.
My pro has given me a few tweaks that has helped my game. My swing feel so in the groove right now (believe me, I know that won’t last). Play the senior tees with my senior buddies and the whites when playing alone. Shot a personal best last week of 74 from the whites. So much for my handicap. Lol. Put it thru the floor.
Picture Jack Lemon in the final scene of Bagger Vance walking the fairway alone into the sunset. It’s a calm serene look and feel. Some reflection and internal thought, but enjoying the walk down the fairway to my next shot. At this point in my life, I’m fortunate that there is a next shot and I am still kiddish with anticipation. If I open up the club face, I can clear that tree and slide it right back into the fairway. Swoosh, dang, I did it. Tiger has nothing on me......except money, fame, and a golf game. LOL

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on the retirement and it sounds like your love for the game is at an all time high! I retired at 53 two years ago and am also enjoying golfing at least a few times each week. Yesterday I played with my 22 year old son, 14 year old daughter and one of my son’s buddies. I’ve actually practice less than I did when I was working and just go out and play. I’m at the point where I’m way more interested in my son and daughter improving their golf skills than I am improving mine.

Enjoy retirement and you have the right plan - lose weight and your health and flexibility will improve. I’m recently down to a weight I haven’t been at since age 30 and my body feels as good as it did 20 years ago.

I just came off the range trying out the Moe Norman single plane swing theory.

I am toying with taking up fly fishing.

Sounds like you have created a fun and healthy new routine in your life. Nice! I am playing with the same swing, btw. I am liking it.

Highly recommend fly fishing. There is a great sense of calm purpose that comes from time on a river. People move here just to fish. A friend is holding a pop up gallery with art from a guy who paints with his fly rod. Creative and stunning.

Congratulations on retirement and making it out alive! It's great you have a couple of challenges to keep your mind and body engaged in retirement.

Congratulations on the retirement and the improving health. I would say take an hour a day and focus on strength and flexibility. That will produce more of a long term benefit to your golf game than extra 100 golf balls. The key to Gary Player's longevity is his fitness. I am not there yet but I do 15 minutes of yoga, 15 minutes of core and some stretching 5-7 days a week in addition to golf (and water skiing) during the summer. In the off season I do strength training and ride an exercise bike. That kind of work will bear long term fitness and will translate to longer golf.

My Dad played some of his best golf in his late 60s through mid 70s and shot his age a few times in his 70s. Have a blast with it.

First off, congrats on the retirement. Something I bet a lot of us are looking forward to...

I'm 44 and the plan is to retire in 10 years or so (keep hoping to bring that in some) after both kids go to college. Should be able to devote a ton of time to golf at that point! I've toyed with either starting a golf data company (some ideas keep floating in my mind) or working for a golf OEM in retirement just to have an excuse to play lots more and build some cool stuff..;)

I envy anybody that can take the plunge and actually retire. I have been threatening to retire for years, but just can't seem to do it. There is always one more project to finish, one more co-worker to train, one more toy to buy. There were always a core of people at my job that pretty much keep the place running like a well oiled watch. Now, three have retired, one passed away, and now another is retiring right in the middle of 5 simultaneous projects. That leaves me. Maybe next year I can join the ranks of professionally retired and now full time golfer. I love this game and really missed it when Covid hit. Enjoy your retirement and play play play. I am a little to gregarious, so playing alone is not my thing. If I can't make you laugh, then I have failed.

I'm 64 and going through some numbers and planning scenarios right now. I'm looking forward to the same ability to devote time to the golf game. Some really good insights and advice in this thread. I hope we can keep the discussion going.

My late FIL was a one-eyed prostate cancer survivor, duck hunter and fisherman who took up golf in his mid-40s. He was a tightly-wound guy and one of the worst golfers I have ever seen, but I never saw him unhappy on the golf course. And quite a few of his shots gave him good reason to be unhappy. He was able to play until he was 84 - he had a regular group that had accommodations by the local NJ public course (local for three of them, but a 45 minute drive for him) - they had a standing early morning tee time on the executive nine. Three years ago, he was standing over his second shot on the first hole when he collapsed. That started a series of helath issues in the last year of his life.

I guess I'm saying that golf is a game that we can and should play at any age, limited firstly by our enjoyment and secondly by our physical limitations. I know I could play better if I devoted more time to my game, but I treat my golf game as if I had a dog who plays checkers - sure, I can criticize his game, but I'm really glad he plays at all.

Congratulations on your retirement!

I retired three years ago and am just taking up golf this year. Still just taking lessons, practicing baby swings in the back yard with a 9i (so I don't lose all my balls in the field/woods out back), and practicing putting in the carpeted basement. Going to hit the driving range today to practice with a 7i the full swings were were taught Monday. May start playing after my beginner classes are done, or may wait until after I finish the intermediate class for which I'll probably sign up. Or may start playing while still taking the intermediate classes. Whatever strikes my fancy :)

I envy anybody that can take the plunge and actually retire. I have been threatening to retire for years, but just can't seem to do it. There is always one more project to finish, one more co-worker to train, one more toy to buy. There were always a core of people at my job that pretty much keep the place running like a well oiled watch. Now, three have retired, one passed away, and now another is retiring right in the middle of 5 simultaneous projects. That leaves me. Maybe next year I can join the ranks of professionally retired and now full time golfer. I love this game and really missed it when Covid hit. Enjoy your retirement and play play play. I am a little to gregarious, so playing alone is not my thing. If I can't make you laugh, then I have failed.
My friend, retire! Your employer will be PO’d, but I can guarantee you that they will find someone else to pick up the towel and move on. I retired at 62 because the job was no fun anymore. And it’s the best decision I ever made. More time to enjoy the things me and the wife want to do. Anyway, the day you walk out the door they will be rummaging through your desk and office fridge looking for pens, gadgets and food you left behind!

I envy anybody that can take the plunge and actually retire. I have been threatening to retire for years, but just can't seem to do it. There is always one more project to finish, ...
That's where I was four years ago, my friend. Finally told my boss "I am retiring on or about <this> month, next year." Naturally, he only half believed me. But I'd already begun getting a foot out the door by reducing my hours to 40/week, barring overtime required to address true emergencies. When it got down to about the six-month mark and he'd try to add another item to my list I'd reply "Fine. Which of the existing items on my list do you want me to drop to make room for it?" First couple of times I did that he looked at me like I had been speaking in Tongues
lol.gif
Eventually he got the idea and, when he'd mention adding something I'd remind him "My plate is full. I am retiring on <date>. Add this, and something else has to go."

I actually ended-up retiring about two months past my target, but retire I did.

Then came the calls for help. I gave them one year of free assistance. Then, one day, they called me with an emergency. "Ok, but the free ride's over. This is going to be chargeable. My rate is $XXX/hour. I estimate this will take XX hours. Payment is Net 30. 10% discount if paid in full w/in 10 days." "I'll have to talk to so-and-so and get back to you," was the response. Then, later, "We decided we can deal with the problem on our own."

That was the last of those calls ;)

I don't miss it the tiniest little bit.

Congrats on your retirement and time for golf.
I will be 63 in November and plan on retiring when I hit 65.
I also plan on working part time at my home golf course to get the free golf and a little pocket change after retirement. Am really looking forward to that.

Congrats on retirement, loving the game and the pursuit of being better at it, and being able to hit range balls for 2 hours every day. I'm 41, and that hurts just to think about. :LOL:

Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to the other side! :cool: I've been retired for almost 8 years, worked part-time at the course as a starter/marshal for several years, then finally bought a membership. I golf anywhere from 3-5 days a week, early morning rounds so we're done by around 10:00 am and have the rest of the day to take care of other business (after a power nap, of course!). My game isn't great, never was great and probably never will be great, but I enjoy golfing the ball and being outdoors getting some exercise and spending time with good friends.

Congrats on retirement and I admire your dedication and perseverance to improve your golf game. And props to you for the weight loss. I hope you meet you weight loss goals.

Good luck in your retirement. Sounds like you've got it covered. I'm 64 now. Been retired a couple years. Had to retire earlier than expected. My wife has health issues and it was too hard to work full time and take care of her needs. So I sold the house, bought a mobile home in a nice 55+ park. Paid cash for it. I figured instead of trying to build more money for retirement I'd reduce my expenses. No credit card debt. No car payments. No mortgage. Just the rent on the space my home is on. The usual insurance, cell phones and utilities. Now I can afford retirement.

I started golfing a couple years ago. Been an on again off again golfer since the late 80's. Was never all that good but I enjoyed it. Didn't golf for about 15 years before starting again after retirement. I try to hit the range twice a week and the course once a week. I buy a range card that cuts the cost of a bucket more than half. I play later in the day when rates are cheaper. Although its a little tough this time of year with the triple digit heat.

My grandson works at the golf course so I get deals and once in a while a free round of golf. I try not to abuse that though. His boss is ok with him charging me 9 holes walking and playing 18. If he plays with me we get a free riding cart.

I find if I can either practice or play twice a week, my golf muscles handle it much better. If I back off that I tend to wear down faster. So I need twice a week to maintain the strength. Although I haven't mastered that muscle memory that gives you a consistent golf swing.

Congratulations and welcome to the club. I retired about 5 years ago and took up golf a year later. I initially joined for the social aspects, but developed a passion for the game. Outdoors, great exercise and having fun with friends. What more could you ask for.

Congrats on your retirement!!!! I retired in April at age 58 best decision ever. Been an avid golfer all my life and play 4 days a week. Look forward to it every time I go out to play. Life is short once you can swing it financially and if you have a passion whether it is golf or something else go for it you never know what is around the corner.

57 and still have kids to get through college so no retirement for 6-8 years for me. I do like the thoughts on health and adding the fly fishing interests. My plan is to pursue golf, kayak fishing & upland hunting in retirement. All active pursuits that engage the mind, contribute to the physical fitness efforts, keep me outdoors and can be pursued seasonally which should keep things fresh. I hope for at least 15 active years of doing what I want when I want which might include some consulting if the comp is right & the challenge inspires me....

Know from watching parents, in-laws and several others from that generation that if you can't find something you love to do to occupy the mind and body things deteriorate faster and the quality of life suffers.

Reading this thread makes me envious in a way. Not that I’m in a hurry to get older, it goes to fast as it is. The plan is for me to retire in 7 years at 60. I found the game of golf a year ago now. It is an activity I thought would be fun in retirement. I’m not one to sit around, I prefer to be active. I also am an avid fisherman but figured I wanted another hobby to enjoy and golf fit the bill. The goal is to retire in Arizona and play lots of golf and travel. Working out is something that is very beneficial as we age. It’s not about getting bigger but more to fight father time and try to maintain some strength and flexibility. One of my playing partners retired in December and says had he known Covid would happen he would have worked another year. He just had his best round ever on Thursday at 5 over.

Back