"Retiring" your golf ball

Bridgestone Golf

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
I was just wondering how long you play with your golf ball for before changing to a new one?

bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I was just wondering how long you play with your golf ball for before changing to a new one?
Until it goes in the water or the woods. Most of the time I lose the ball way before it's time for it to be retired. I'd say after about 2 rounds if it's not completely tore up.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If I dont lose it, I will retire it to my shag bag after 9 holes. They get pretty cut up from the Vokey wedges

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
If I dont lose it, I will retire it to my shag bag after 9 holes. They get pretty cut up from the Vokey wedges
I did 18 at my home course today & didn't lose my Bridgestone (but I was striking it well - very happy). I find I'm lucky to do 2 x 18 holes without the my ball having done a 'Harry Houdini' somewhere.

You must hit them fairly pure JB. My Vokeys are 6 months old. I must say that the Groove Sharpener has me intrigued since your review. But I digress ... better get back on topic.

Grogger31

Swing hard, just in case
Reaction score
Handicap
I usually lose at least one a round, so I rarely have to retire a ball. If I'm lucky enough to get through a couple rounds with one and it's beat up, I'll toss it.

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
I toss mine in the shag bucket when it gets rough to the touch. I usually lose them before too many of them make it though. :D

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
I tend to lose mine, but occasionally manage to rough one up pretty badly. Then it goes to the Boo Girl, for the water hole.

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I'm with a lot of people here, mine usually get lost before I can retire them. But if they take a good bounce off a cart path, it's usually bag time for that ball.

MO_Hacker

At the drag strip
Reaction score
Handicap
DragRacing
If I had one ball make it through a full round I would have it bronzed and put it in a trophy case. Hasn't happened yet.

Craig Mac

Reaction score
If I had one ball make it through a full round I would have it bronzed and put it in a trophy case. Hasn't happened yet.
hahaha. Mine, like others, retire themselves, I may have one or two in the bag that have survived a full round but they never last long.

tnc200

The Snowman
Reaction score
Handicap
Never, my bag is a life sentence for balls. If it makes a run for it and escapes into the woods ok, if it swims for it ok. Older balls get played first too. My shag bag is just the lower quality balls I find.

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
Really depends on the type of round I'm playing. Tournament or casual? If it's causal then it's till I lose it,even if that means more then 18 or 36 holes.If it's a tourney then as soon as I get 3 groove scuffs.

gbigoose1

Reaction score
Handicap
Holy thread revival!
haha +1 .. Normally I just keep using a ball till I lose it or it get's cracked or something. But with newer balls that doesn't really happen.

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux

DawgDaddy

Old Coot
Reaction score
Handicap
L.O.F.T.
Depends on weather I am playing in a tournament or for fun. New ball until scuffed then into the bag for tournaments. Old balls when playing for fun until I see a pronounced preformance issue, then to to shag bag

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Are you gonna merge these suckers or what?
Actually Hawk, in comparison, that's a NEW thread. hehehe

Usually for me I can get a 9 out of a ball during a serious round. Non serious round I just play them til they retire themselves.

Hawk

Master Painter
Reaction score
Oh wow. I just noticed the OP's date.

bogey_russ

outside operations
Reaction score
Handicap
girs
merge it baby
i play a ball till it splits in 2... like the other day hahaha

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I get on run's where I don't lose a ball for several rounds, but generally I'll find some way of losing it or roughing it up pretty bad and having to replace it per round. Some like Penta's have a hard time making a round on looks alone.

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Actually we should probably just post in Hawk's thread and let this one die the death it deserves.

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
It depends how long before I lose it, If I don't lose a ball and play well I'll prob play it for as long as I can. Most I'll go is probably 2 rounds.

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
When mine get a little damage on them, I just save them for a par 3 we have protected by water on three sides. That is the hole that I lose one on every now and then. Others I just retire to shage bag.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in