"Retiring" your golf ball

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
I was just wondering how long you play with your golf ball for before changing to a new one?

I was just wondering how long you play with your golf ball for before changing to a new one?

Until it goes in the water or the woods. Most of the time I lose the ball way before it's time for it to be retired. I'd say after about 2 rounds if it's not completely tore up.

If I dont lose it, I will retire it to my shag bag after 9 holes. They get pretty cut up from the Vokey wedges

If I dont lose it, I will retire it to my shag bag after 9 holes. They get pretty cut up from the Vokey wedges

I did 18 at my home course today & didn't lose my Bridgestone (but I was striking it well - very happy). I find I'm lucky to do 2 x 18 holes without the my ball having done a 'Harry Houdini' somewhere.

You must hit them fairly pure JB. My Vokeys are 6 months old. I must say that the Groove Sharpener has me intrigued since your review. But I digress ... better get back on topic.

I usually lose at least one a round, so I rarely have to retire a ball. If I'm lucky enough to get through a couple rounds with one and it's beat up, I'll toss it.

I toss mine in the shag bucket when it gets rough to the touch. I usually lose them before too many of them make it though. :D

I tend to lose mine, but occasionally manage to rough one up pretty badly. Then it goes to the Boo Girl, for the water hole.

I'm with a lot of people here, mine usually get lost before I can retire them. But if they take a good bounce off a cart path, it's usually bag time for that ball.

If I had one ball make it through a full round I would have it bronzed and put it in a trophy case. Hasn't happened yet.

If I had one ball make it through a full round I would have it bronzed and put it in a trophy case. Hasn't happened yet.

hahaha. Mine, like others, retire themselves, I may have one or two in the bag that have survived a full round but they never last long.

Never, my bag is a life sentence for balls. If it makes a run for it and escapes into the woods ok, if it swims for it ok. Older balls get played first too. My shag bag is just the lower quality balls I find.

Really depends on the type of round I'm playing. Tournament or casual? If it's causal then it's till I lose it,even if that means more then 18 or 36 holes.If it's a tourney then as soon as I get 3 groove scuffs.

Holy thread revival!

haha +1 .. Normally I just keep using a ball till I lose it or it get's cracked or something. But with newer balls that doesn't really happen.

Depends on weather I am playing in a tournament or for fun. New ball until scuffed then into the bag for tournaments. Old balls when playing for fun until I see a pronounced preformance issue, then to to shag bag

Are you gonna merge these suckers or what?
Actually Hawk, in comparison, that's a NEW thread. hehehe

Usually for me I can get a 9 out of a ball during a serious round. Non serious round I just play them til they retire themselves.

Oh wow. I just noticed the OP's date.

merge it baby
i play a ball till it splits in 2... like the other day hahaha

I get on run's where I don't lose a ball for several rounds, but generally I'll find some way of losing it or roughing it up pretty bad and having to replace it per round. Some like Penta's have a hard time making a round on looks alone.

Actually we should probably just post in Hawk's thread and let this one die the death it deserves.

It depends how long before I lose it, If I don't lose a ball and play well I'll prob play it for as long as I can. Most I'll go is probably 2 rounds.

When mine get a little damage on them, I just save them for a par 3 we have protected by water on three sides. That is the hole that I lose one on every now and then. Others I just retire to shage bag.

Back